Author Topic: Brevet Cymru. May3rd 2014 - Chepstow  (Read 31911 times)

Re: Brevet Cymru. May3rd 2014 - Chepstow
« Reply #50 on: 13 April, 2014, 08:16:40 pm »
Yukon Fixed with a 65" gear.

... simonp, how does this 65" gear compare with your 'normal' one? ...

I rode it in 2011 on a 67" gear. 65" has been my normal gear since last summer. I was riding 69" on this bike since I got it just before PBP 2011.

Same year I rode it - probably 73" fixed, but can't remember what kit I had on it at the time. I walked a lot. I was buggered by Blwch; finished in about 22 hours.

Thanks. Having seen you both out riding once or twice, I consider you both much stronger riders than me. I think I'll get hold of a 19T which will give a 65" - I can decide nearer the time whether to use that or be brave/foolhardy and use 69" (>300 and hilly is new territory to me).

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #51 on: 14 April, 2014, 06:44:14 pm »

.......What tips do you have for the first timers? Don't try and keep up with a Yorkshireman called Mike * if he's there!
To the best of my knowledge Mike Hogg hasn't entered. * https://twitter.com/thewholehogg

However, luckily for you young Vistaed, one of your training buddies (whom is also named Mike) has entered  ;) . And he's looking forward to your company during the entire event  :demon:

Oh...bugger! There goes my relaxed ride
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

« Reply #52 on: 14 April, 2014, 07:14:09 pm »

.......What tips do you have for the first timers? Don't try and keep up with a Yorkshireman called Mike * if he's there!
To the best of my knowledge Mike Hogg hasn't entered. * https://twitter.com/thewholehogg

However, luckily for you young Vistaed, one of your training buddies (whom is also named Mike) has entered  ;) . And he's looking forward to your company during the entire event  :demon:

and hopefully (for you) after Elenydd you`ll be on a bike with gears and not spinning your legs off  ;D ;D ----impressive though you were indeed  :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #53 on: 14 April, 2014, 07:31:50 pm »

I'll ride with you, some of it anyway !!

Enjoyed chatting with you on the E ride :). (If I'm identifying you right? Flat bars - 150 rpm - happy chappy)

Mind you, there will be an awful lot of riders......

How many so far BS ?
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #54 on: 14 April, 2014, 08:24:07 pm »
Yikes! Just noticed the entry closing date has moved from April 19th to April 13th.

I just had to go back in time one day to enter it. I'm sure Mr B. Sheep won't notice.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #55 on: 19 April, 2014, 10:32:11 pm »
Now that the arrow dust is settling...

Have the 'joining details' for this been emailed out?  Got the routesheet downloaded from AUK site but was not sure about the start, parking and such like.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #56 on: 20 April, 2014, 06:48:29 am »
Sheepy posted this:
It's "Make-you-mind-up-time", Doors will be closing when I return from church next Sunday, i.e. 11:45am, 20th April.
so I'm not expecting details before 11:46.
(I haven't even looked at the stuff on AUKweb).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

JamesBradbury

• The before-ride picture is even worse
    • James Thinks
« Reply #57 on: 20 April, 2014, 11:35:44 am »
I'm looking forward to this adventure and the next step on my first SR.   :thumbsup:

JamesBradbury

• James Thinks
« Reply #58 on: 20 April, 2014, 11:45:36 am »
Oh yes I should think about all this shouldn't I? Was mostly focused on the Elenydd then in Yorkshire last week... should probably get some Friday night accommodation sorted before it's all too expensive. Would be willing to share.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #59 on: 20 April, 2014, 03:03:32 pm »
Mark usually emails a bit closer to the event date, so he can provide the most up to date info, and in particular deal with any road closures etc

He's a top man, so worry not !!!
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #60 on: 20 April, 2014, 04:46:09 pm »
After a great hilly welsh ride last weekend, and the arrow this weekend, I am now feeling most ready and up for this one. Hotel in Magor is booked and bike luggage perfected.....roll on the 3rd! :)
Does not play well with others

« Reply #61 on: 20 April, 2014, 05:13:13 pm »
After a great hilly welsh ride last weekend, and the arrow this weekend, I am now feeling most ready and up for this one. Hotel in Magor is booked and bike luggage perfected.....roll on the 3rd! :)
I think you`ll be pleasantly surprised --although I`ve not ridden brcyr before BUT driving back from Carmarthen today, using some of roads --surfaces luveerly gradients steadily gentle  :thumbsup: similarly llandovery > Brecon now has a nice new surface and steady gradients
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

JamesBradbury

• James Thinks
« Reply #62 on: 20 April, 2014, 05:58:06 pm »
Mmm, I was very impressed with many of the nice surfaces encountered on the Elenydd, so hopefully this will be similar.  :D

simonp

« Reply #63 on: 22 April, 2014, 04:04:41 pm »
Change of plans:

I looked at the price of the Travelodge. I've just submitted an ECE entry to ride to/from home.

:facepalm:

« Reply #64 on: 22 April, 2014, 04:37:24 pm »
Change of plans:

I looked at the price of the Travelodge. I've just submitted an ECE entry to ride to/from home.

I got a hotel in Magor for £42 which I thought was reasonable - not a million miles away from the start.
Does not play well with others

simonp

« Reply #65 on: 22 April, 2014, 05:31:39 pm »
Change of plans:

I got a hotel in Magor for £42 which I thought was reasonable - not a million miles away from the start.

ECE is £3. It's only 53km each way, just got to get up around 2.45am and be away before 3.30am to make the start.

It will also enable me to get my first-ever SR2000.

« Reply #66 on: 22 April, 2014, 06:32:47 pm »
Simonp: where are you ECE'ing from?  Only ask as I'm not staying over Friday but am driving from Plymouth.  If you're on the English side of the bridge I could ride to and from with you.  Save me the bridge ticket!  Last 400 (National in 2013) I did non-sleepover in about 20 hours.

simonp

« Reply #67 on: 22 April, 2014, 07:02:42 pm »
Will be riding up from Somerset, near Cheddar. If you want to join in for the ride then feel free. But it's over 50km so it's an early start.  I'm likely to take longer than 20h; my fastest in 2011 was 21h.

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #68 on: 22 April, 2014, 08:51:10 pm »
Still not figured out where I'm staying the night before, and I see the campsite I used in 2009 is no longer open? I'd better get planning as time is ticking!
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

« Reply #69 on: 22 April, 2014, 09:00:19 pm »
Will be riding up from Somerset, near Cheddar. If you want to join in for the ride then feel free. But it's over 50km so it's an early start.  I'm likely to take longer than 20h; my fastest in 2011 was 21h.

21hrs to ride 50 km from Cheddar?

simonp

« Reply #70 on: 22 April, 2014, 09:11:31 pm »
Simonp: where are you ECE'ing from?  Only ask as I'm not staying over Friday but am driving from Plymouth.  If you're on the English side of the bridge I could ride to and from with you.  Save me the bridge ticket!  Last 400 (National in 2013) I did non-sleepover in about 20 hours.

You’d be welcome to sleep here on Friday night and get up early for the ride to the start. We’re about a 1h40 drive from Plymouth. If so, let me know and I’ll PM where to find us.

(I think strictly if I’m riding an ECE you should also enter the ECE if accompanying me).

simonp

« Reply #71 on: 22 April, 2014, 09:14:04 pm »

21hrs to ride 50 km from Cheddar?

If it’s as the crow flies and I was going via London, maybe.

JamesBradbury

• James Thinks
« Reply #72 on: 23 April, 2014, 05:10:19 pm »
Where you staying?
Not organised enough to find somewhere cheap nearby, so will get up earlier than I'd like and go from home. Hopefully only 45 mins in stupid-o'clock traffic. Bridge is £6.40...

What you looking forward to?
The views, the chatting, the climbing, the descending.

What are you dreading?
Falling asleep, chain breakage because I haven't got the tools or know-how to deal with it yet.

What bike are you riding?
Ti audax bike, lowest gear 34x29, I managed up the Devil's Staircase, so should be OK.

What tips do you have for the first timers? 
I am a first-timer, so erm, don't follow me!   ;D

« Reply #73 on: 23 April, 2014, 07:06:49 pm »
Simonp: suspect I'll be more likely to drive up on the morning.  Don't change any plans on my account.  Reckon I can drive it in a shade over 2 hours at silly o'clock in the morning.  Thanks anyway :)

« Reply #74 on: 26 April, 2014, 06:53:20 pm »
early days maybe but weatehr looking good---sunny, light winds albeit a cold frosty start. Will need EHU in van  :thumbsup:
and hope I clear current cold  ::-)  quickly too