Author Topic: AUK Forum  (Read 23233 times)

AUK Forum
« on: 01 May, 2014, 12:10:35 am »
Bikey-mikey has suggested that any further discussion about mandating GPXs from organisers should take place in the AUK forum, and that he's started a thread there.

I hadn't realised that this was now live, and though guesswork has taken me to http://www.audax.co.uk/forum/index.php I can't work out how to register (Aukweb credentials didn't get me in).

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Re: AUK Forum
« Reply #1 on: 01 May, 2014, 12:57:15 am »
I just tried for the first time and got in.  Your user name is your auk number (no letter) and your password is the one you use for logging in at audax.

Peter

« Reply #2 on: 01 May, 2014, 01:22:26 am »
Had a PM from Manotea clarifying - password must be all lower-case. (My Aukweb one has a mix of cases, though now of course I learn it's not case-sensitive.)

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #3 on: 01 May, 2014, 01:27:22 am »
I see that there is also a notice on the new forum regarding an EGM on 22 May.

Have I missed it or has it not been announced elsewhere? Is the forum now the official channel of communication from AUK? I don't recall receiving any post or an email on the subject, and it's not on the official notices page of the AUK website.

Pretty poor show, IMO.

« Reply #4 on: 01 May, 2014, 01:41:30 am »
I suspect that it's gone onto the new forum initially while this is being soft launched, and will be officially notified via pre-existing methods soon.

14 clear days notice needed - there's still a week to let us know ...

ETA - (And as for the forum itself, I don't think it's officially live yet so we're probably jumping the gun either by trying to use it anything more than experimentally, or criticising stuff here too harshly! I assume we'll be told properly about it in the near future - in the next Arrivee?)

« Reply #5 on: 01 May, 2014, 01:42:53 am »
Bikey-mikey has suggested that any further discussion about mandating GPXs from organisers should take place in the AUK forum, and that he's started a thread there.

... although I see little sign of the latter.

« Reply #6 on: 01 May, 2014, 01:52:55 am »

... although I see little sign of the latter.

It's under Calendars/Perms/ECEs, and is focused more on whether or not GPX availability should be indicated on the event page.

frankly frankie (I assume) has started a thread more about the substance of creating GPX/TCX files.

« Reply #7 on: 01 May, 2014, 06:45:46 am »
I just tried for the first time and got in.  Your user name is your auk number (no letter) and your password is the one you use for logging in at audax.

Peter
No matter what I do I just can't log in. My usual AUK details won't work. I've changed my password on the main site and the new one works OK there but the forum won't let me in and the Registration facility is disabled.

« Reply #8 on: 01 May, 2014, 08:03:56 am »
I can't log in either.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

« Reply #9 on: 01 May, 2014, 08:39:47 am »
Works for me - AUK membership number, and password all in lower case.

I've just tried changing my AUKweb password, and the new one worked fine on the forum. (Now to change it back.)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #10 on: 01 May, 2014, 08:44:33 am »
Can't log in here
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #11 on: 01 May, 2014, 08:57:45 am »
Does your AUKweb password contain upper case letters, and/or more than 8 characters?

AFAICT, AUKweb stores passwords in lower case and limits them to more than 8 characters, but password entry is not case sensitive and will truncate anything over 8 characters.

AUKforum uses the AUKweb password database, but if you enter any upper case letters or more than 8 characters it gives a mismatch.

Thus you can set your AUKweb password to be PaSsWoRd2014, and if you type this in full you will still get in. But because it's stored as password, that's what you have to use to get into AUKforum.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #12 on: 01 May, 2014, 09:04:27 am »
I think the Auk passwords can have uppercase stored - but it's the Auk login matching routines that ignore case.  The forum (on a different server) is obviously set up to utilise the Auk login somehow (since it can sense a password change on the Auk site), but it may well be that a new Auk login routine was written specifically for the forum to access, in which case it may not have the same behaviour as the public login.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #13 on: 01 May, 2014, 09:19:30 am »
I'm in.  Very nice.

I wonder how the future balance between the use of the audax forum and the use of the yacf audax board will develop.  Only time will tell I suppose.

« Reply #14 on: 01 May, 2014, 09:27:01 am »
Oh.  I wasn't expecting it to be completely closed to outsiders.  I let my auk membership lapse because I just don't do them often enough to justify it, but I still like to enter the odd one. 

I guess it's just intended for official discussions rather than to encourage new riders.
[Edit: Yes, is basically the answer to that below.  :)]

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #15 on: 01 May, 2014, 09:38:43 am »
Yep I'm in.

Mike's new suggestion seems eminently reasonable to me.

http://www.audax.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=30.0  for those who can't find it.

It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #16 on: 01 May, 2014, 09:39:19 am »
EGM details for this that can't log in..

Members are invited to attend an Extraordinary General Meeting to be held at 2pm on 22nd May 2014 at the Priory Meeting Rooms, Quaker Meeting House, 40 Bull Street, Birmingham, B4 6AF, to consider the Resolution detailed below, the EGM being mandated by Agenda item 8 of the AUK Annual General Meeting 2013.

Proposal: Articles 8 of the AUK Articles of Association to be amended as shown to enable Postal Voting at General Meeting.

Rationale: Having taken advice on the practicality and merits of options to enable proxy and / or postal voting as directed at AGM2013, the Board recommends provision for postal voting be implemented to widen the opportunity for members to participate in the business conducted at General Meetings.

Amendment to Article 8 of the AUK Articles of Association

8.5                At all General Meetings a resolution put to the vote of the meeting shall be decided on by a show of hands by those Members present in person and entitled to vote and who do so together with postal votes cast as described in Article 8.7 and subsequent Articles, each Member having one vote other than the chairman of that meeting who shall not be entitled to vote while acting in such capacity. The chairman of the meeting will declare the resolution carried or not carried unanimously or by a particular majority in accordance with the votes cast and an entry to that effect recorded in the Minute Book of the Company:

8.5.1             in the case of changes to the Memorandum or Articles of Association, by a three quarters majority;

8.5.2             in the case of changes to the Audax United Kingdom Rules, by a simple majority;

8.5.3             in the case of extraordinary and special resolutions, by a three quarters majority; and

8.5.4             in any other matters, by a simple majority.

8.6                In the case of an equality of votes the chairman of the meeting shall, with the exception of Article 14.4 where the business concerns the election of the Chairman and the chairman of the meeting is one of the nominees for that office, be entitled to a casting vote.

8.7                Members who are entitled to vote may cast their vote by means of a postal vote using a form provided by the Company for that purpose. The voting forms may be submitted by post or electronically via the Company website or extension thereof. The procedure for submitting postal votes along with a copy of each resolution will be published by Notice to Members following the procedure described in Article 19.

8.8                A Returning Officer will be appointed by the Board to oversee voting at the General Meeting. The Returning Officer may not be a proposer or seconder of any resolution of the General Meeting. The Returning Officer will maintain a register of Members voting by means of a postal vote to facilitate the registration of Members who will cast their vote in person at the General Meeting, but will hold the postal voting forms in personal confidence until such time as the votes are due to be cast for each resolution at the General Meeting. The Returning Officer may collate the voting forms personally, with the assistance of other Members and/or appoint a third party to provide that service. The Returning Officer will extend the obligations of confidentiality and independence described above to all those so engaged.

8.9                Ballots to elect Directors as described in Article 14.4 may be cast by postal vote as described in Article 8.7 and thereon.

Background

At AGM2013 the AUK Board presented a resolution ?to take advice on the practicality and merits of options to amend Section 8 of the Articles of Association of Audax United Kingdom to enable proxy and / or postal voting. Such amendment(s) to be submitted for approval to an Extraordinary General Meeting not later than 8 months from the date of this 2013 Annual General Meeting?.

This reflected a desire to ?enhance and extend the formal and informal means by which members of AUK can become engaged in the administration of, and development of policy for, Audax United Kingdom, including widening the opportunity for members to participate in the business conducted at General Meetings. It is intended this measure be in place before the 2014 Annual General Meeting of Audax United Kingdom.?

The resolution was carried with a large majority and thus mandated I consulted with Electoral Reform Services, the operational arm of the Electoral Reform Society. ERS provides managed voting services for a wide range of public, private and voluntary sector organisations in the UK and is very much the ?go to? body for any organisation like AUK looking for advice and support. I found ERS could provide a complete managed Postal Voting service tailored to AUK requirements for less than the cost of mailing out the agenda for AGM2014. This would include:

?                     Setting up a secure and private website to publish Resolutions and support online voting.

?                     Emailing User-ids and Passwords to AUK members who provide an email address for that purpose so they can submit their ?Postal? vote  electronically, i.e., through the ERS website.

?                     Posting ballot papers to members who have not provided an email address or have expressed a preference to vote by paper ballot, along with a postage paid envelope to return the ballot paper to ERS who would record the members votes onto the voting website.

?                     At the end of the of the voting period, forwarding a register of members who have voted and the ballots to the Returning Officer appointed by AUK to oversee voting at the General Meeting. The Returning Officer would receive the results of the votes for each Resolution in individual sealed envelopes so they can be added to the votes cast by members attending the General Meeting. The register of postal voters will verify which members attending the General Meeting have already voted and are thus ineligible to vote at the meeting.

This process could be extended to allow for Proxy Voting, whereby a member authorises another to vote on their behalf, either as directed (closed proxy) or as the proxy sees fit (open proxy).

This was presented at the AUK Board Meeting in January where the Board discussed the merits of postal and proxy voting. The Board considered the provisions in the Articles for the review and amendment of Resolutions prior to the General Meeting, including the nomination and election of AUK Directors, and provision of a private forum to facilitate discussion of those Resolutions, and concluded these rendered Proxy Voting redundant, as there would be ample provision for members to discuss and consult on matters arising prior to the AGM, and Postal Voting would allow for members not attending the General Meeting to vote directly. The Secretary was accordingly instructed to call an EGM to ratify changes to the AUK Articles of Association to enable Postal Voting based on the procedure described above, which met the requirements of being practical, secure, independent and cost effective.

« Reply #17 on: 01 May, 2014, 09:41:43 am »
I'm in.  Very nice.

I wonder how the future balance between the use of the audax forum and the use of the yacf audax board will develop.  Only time will tell I suppose.

Some people have very good reasons for not using googleable forums using their real names, so I can't see it meeting with universal enthusiasm.  AUK should rethink that aspect.

« Reply #18 on: 01 May, 2014, 10:01:22 am »
As proposer of the motion for setting an AUK forum up at the AGM I can state that the explicit intention was that it was member only so policy/rules etc. can be discussed on a private forum - explicitly so newcomers to AUK are not put off by arcane topics on rules etc -  and that real names will be used. This was stated at the AGM and voted upon accordingly.

It is not intended as a way of promoting audax rides to riders. As an organiser I will not be using it to promote my rides, but I may use it to ask for volunteers to help or for route advice at the far end of my rides well away from the locality I am familiar with.

A log-in is needed for view rights, so anyone linking towards a topic will have to sign in, so there should be a reasonable expectation of privacy.

The forum was being soft launched and some things still need sorting out - the password issue obviously being the major one.
Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

mikewigley

« Reply #19 on: 01 May, 2014, 10:18:36 am »
Some people have very good reasons for not using googleable forums using their real names, so I can't see it meeting with universal enthusiasm.  AUK should rethink that aspect.

I never understand this view.  What is there to be said on the AUK Forum that the sender wouldn't want to be identified?  We've been told in no uncertain terms from those who don't currently use YACF that the big turn off is the hiding behind Sudonames.

NB I've posted here rather than on there, because (of course) those wishing to remain anonymous won't be signed up.

By the way, the AUK forum comes officially "live" when Arrivee hits the doormats, so I don't think the e-ribbon has been cut yet.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #20 on: 01 May, 2014, 10:28:23 am »
And anyway, surely it could be un-Googleable?  IME if you set the right switches on a website then Google acts all gentlemanly and looks the other way.
(Then you only have Ask Jeeves to worry about)

If it's supposed to be focussed primarily on stuff such as policy/rules that some people don't like to see on yacf - it doesn't seem to me to be set up that way.  Instead there are several more general topics set up which arguably have a wider interest and would be better on here, IMHO.  I suppose the feeling is that without these topics, there'll never be a critical mass on the new forum.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #21 on: 01 May, 2014, 11:42:18 am »

I guess it's just intended for official discussions rather than to encourage new riders.

That is my understanding (i.e. for official discussions).

Trying to discuss rules and regulations on a public forum can get messy (as we have seen repeatedly on here) so a proposal was made and accepted at the last AUK annual bun fight to set up a forum via the AUK site that will be closed to non-AUK members and focused on being a place where official matters can be discussed. It also requires users to use their name and not a forum/Internety  made-up name which I think is a Good Idea.

I guess YACF will still be there for the "Hey, I am doing the Bladder Whacker Delight 200k - Anyone else doing it?" and "What flavour crisps do I need to eat?" posts but this sort of question seems to end up on the FB group these days which I suspect has a far wider audience than YACF.

C'est la vie.

H

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #22 on: 01 May, 2014, 11:47:53 am »
Hi Chaps,

There's a nice catch-22 thing going here, because as we know, YACF is not the AUK forum. However, as we are both here... where we are right now is that 'all of the above' is correct. The AUK forum, as mandated by AGM2013, is to be a closed forum for AUK members. Non-members will not be able to post or view content, and that includes Google.

The immediate rationale for the AUK forum driver is to provide a private forum to support official club business, and that starts with the EGM set for the end of May. You can read all about both the forum and EGM when they are officially launched in the next edition of Arrivee. Not long now.

However, there is a cohort of AUKs who tell us that they don't use YACF because they don't like posting on public forums, using pseudonyms, or simply don't get the YACF vibe (yes, I know, it's hard to believe, but there it is). Should we then deny our fellow AUKs the opportunity to take part in a forum beyond the delights of discussing Para 3 subclause 9 of whatever is being presented at the next AGM? That does'nt seem right. So what we've done is seeded the AUK forum with Boards where those that want can discuss events and technical issues. If that takes off then fine, if not then fine also. "The future is not set...".

Obviously though a closed forum has limited application when it comes to promoting events and disseminating technical info to the wider world. The new AUK website will become the vehicle for that when it comes on stream. Until then, we are where we are.

I would remind those that do access the forum that this it's early days and the forum has been advanced to a very tight timescale dictated by the AUK calendar, so please do bear with us. Any issues or suggestions should be channelled through the AUK forum. That's the entire point of the exercise!

If anybody wants me, I'll be in The Office, having a brew...

p.s. the official url is forum.audax.co.uk. Down the line this will become forum.audax.uk. Cool.

« Reply #23 on: 01 May, 2014, 01:30:51 pm »
My mind is at rest in that case!  :thumbsup:

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #24 on: 01 May, 2014, 08:20:38 pm »
Can't log in here

Can log in with the MacBook, couldn't with the iPhone.

EDIT: can now.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...