Author Topic: Arrivee.  (Read 21783 times)

Re: Arrivee.
« Reply #50 on: 14 November, 2014, 04:43:14 pm »
arrived this am in Welsh Borders---splendid front cover too ;D
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #51 on: 14 November, 2014, 04:53:52 pm »
Arrived today in the Centre for the Cotswold.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #52 on: 14 November, 2014, 05:25:39 pm »
Mine arrived today too. Along with a new monitor!

Mrs Blacksheep

« Reply #53 on: 14 November, 2014, 05:42:39 pm »
Arrivee arrived here in Tewkesbury too. :thumbsup:

« Reply #54 on: 14 November, 2014, 06:45:18 pm »
I has mine  ;D

Good pics flicking through

Can't wait to read  :thumbsup:
Does not play well with others

Andrew

« Reply #55 on: 14 November, 2014, 07:00:00 pm »
Arrivée n'est pas encore arrivé à Londres.
Moi non plus
 :'(
Ni chez moi.

Well I say old chap, it's arrived save and sound here in leafy France. Bally good read and all old boy what what.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #56 on: 14 November, 2014, 07:04:16 pm »
Mine arrived today too. Along with a new monitor!

Well that seems very unfair - I didn't get this free gift with mine.  To whom should I address my complaint?
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #57 on: 14 November, 2014, 09:53:46 pm »
Escaping the Floods page 51, asleep whilst eating with numb facial features (more than usual), this is in true spirit of this sport :-)

370 km with 5310 mtrs in the dry in late February = absolutely marvelous..... :thumbsup:
Mad Jacks JSM/  Hills and Mills to be continued in 2021

« Reply #58 on: 14 November, 2014, 10:05:31 pm »
The cover picture is rather splendid although imho a truer representation of Audax is to be found inside the front cover. I have restapled my issue to reflect this.

Ain't that the truth ;D

Guess we would all gravitate to the feeling tone of either one or the other.
I know where you'd most likely find me!

Classic.
Garry Broad

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #59 on: 14 November, 2014, 10:11:26 pm »
The cover picture is rather splendid although imho a truer representation of Audax is to be found inside the front cover. I have restapled my issue to reflect this.

And rightly so.

I have to point out that this photo ( as is usual with cycling photos ) was taken on a climb.
Not a severe climb, you understand.
But a climb nonetheless!
And I'm out on the right because I'm trying to kid myself I can pass the others.
That's why I look like I'm going to burst into tears.

Ian Anderson-Gilbert has conspired to make the photos appear flat.

« Reply #60 on: 15 November, 2014, 08:37:29 am »
The cover picture is rather splendid although imho a truer representation of Audax is to be found inside the front cover.

My thoughts exactly :)

And I've no idea when my copy of Arrivée arrivéd as I found it in a pile of papers on the dining room table. Words were exchanged with Mrs W...
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #61 on: 15 November, 2014, 10:41:09 am »
Don't want to open a debate BUT imho a truer representation of Audax is to be found inside the rear cover, especially the top left pic...

;D :smug:
I dunno why anybody's doing this!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #62 on: 15 November, 2014, 11:18:15 am »
Don't want to open a debate BUT imho a truer representation of Audax is to be found inside the rear cover, especially the top left pic...

What, you think jsabine is the true representation of audax? ;)

Btw, looking at the same page, does anyone know who the dashingly handsome chap in the Lotto jersey might be?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #63 on: 15 November, 2014, 11:29:02 am »

What, you think jsabine is the true representation of audax? ;)

Btw, looking at the same page, does anyone know who the dashingly handsome chap in the Lotto jersey might be?

Why, thank you good sir ...

As for M. Lotto and his immaculately coiffed beard, do you feel you might be able to enlighten us?

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #64 on: 15 November, 2014, 11:39:17 am »
That National 400 route on page 7 looks rather special!
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #65 on: 15 November, 2014, 11:41:22 am »
As for M. Lotto and his immaculately coiffed beard, do you feel you might be able to enlighten us?

It wouldn't be for me to say.

It does, doesn't it. I am seriously considering entering it.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #66 on: 15 November, 2014, 11:53:57 am »

Indeed.  Looks to use some of the roads we did on the 1300 this summer (up near Durness). 

I could cope with riding up there again.  I miss the midges already.

If you are on it with trains, you can get from that London to Scotland for very little (I think we all paid around £22 each way for the trip up to the 1300). 
Right! What's next?

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #67 on: 15 November, 2014, 01:59:30 pm »

I've already committed to do the ride on page 15  :smug:, so there won't be time to do the one on page 7,  :'(
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #68 on: 15 November, 2014, 06:02:18 pm »
BTW - has anyone noticed the advert on the back page of the current edition.  Do you think the advertisers actually realise who reads the magazine????

Liam

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #69 on: 15 November, 2014, 06:25:57 pm »
I wonder what their response time is like to Durness or Mull...

« Reply #70 on: 15 November, 2014, 06:51:11 pm »
At £15 a year I'm not sure they have thought through the risk and the cost of repatriating a couple of people from the Brian Chapman or The Beast From the East....

Almost tempted to buy two!

« Reply #71 on: 16 November, 2014, 01:36:13 am »
Their website is a bit light on detail - you have to pretend to buy a policy to even get the Key Facts document - but I've asked for a copy of the policy documents to try and work out exactly how they'd weasel out of repatriation from Ardnamurchan.

Quite tempted, before they realise what the potential downside is ... (Of course, it might be that the company's run by a grizzled PBP ancien, and they actually know already.)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #72 on: 16 November, 2014, 11:40:30 am »
BTW - has anyone noticed the advert on the back page of the current edition.  Do you think the advertisers actually realise who reads the magazine????

Liam

You could look at it two ways.

On the one hand, which "category" of leisure cyclist is most likely to bring forth a member stuck out in the middle of nowhere with a serious and unforseeable mechanical failure, without any "support" available to get him or her home? We don't all have the technical skills to weld our frames back together at the nearest cafe.  So, in that sense, AUKs are probably closer to the target market than, say, sportive riders, who are usually followed around by luxury coaches, repair crews and long-legged tanned Australian masseurs  (OK, maybe I made that last bit up, but for the price it's what I'd expect), or born-again MAMILs who can always call home and get the wife to come and fetch them  (I know, stereotype alert).

On the other hand, as others have highlighted, they may not have researched the market sufficiently to realise that actually bringing back an AUK who has had a mechanical failure on some of the more adventurous events might provide a significant logistical as well as financial challenge. 

But we shouldn't carp. At least it's a page of advertising revenue, which is good for the magazine and for the club.  :)
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #73 on: 16 November, 2014, 11:53:38 am »
But we shouldn't carp. At least it's a page of advertising revenue, which is good for the magazine and for the club.  :)

Absolutely.  And insurance (the selling and buying of) is just a bet (that the house usually wins), but just this once the bet may go in the favour of the buyer.  It does say that they will take you to a bike shop/train station/home etc. - maybe getting you to a train station is considered rescue?

I've only once ever had to abandon anything (this year, riding back from the TdF as a DIY300 when my freehub decided it wasn't on best terms with the hub body and some time apart would be good for both of them to reflect on their relationship) - so I'm still quids in over 4 years of Audax riding as it was only about a £20 train ride home.
Right! What's next?

« Reply #74 on: 16 November, 2014, 12:40:35 pm »

Steve and Denise have been organising those sorts of rides for 20 years. I've done most of that route a number of times, apart from the stretch down to Dingwall. The last time I was up that way was in 2011 for a PBP qualifier.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG7oDiNUveE