Author Topic: Arrivee.  (Read 21727 times)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Re: Arrivee.
« Reply #75 on: 16 November, 2014, 01:17:14 pm »
But we shouldn't carp. At least it's a page of advertising revenue, which is good for the magazine and for the club.  :)

Absolutely.  And insurance (the selling and buying of) is just a bet (that the house usually wins), but just this once the bet may go in the favour of the buyer.  It does say that they will take you to a bike shop/train station/home etc. - maybe getting you to a train station is considered rescue?

I've only once ever had to abandon anything (this year, riding back from the TdF as a DIY300 when my freehub decided it wasn't on best terms with the hub body and some time apart would be good for both of them to reflect on their relationship) - so I'm still quids in over 4 years of Audax riding as it was only about a £20 train ride home.

Thinking back over certain exploits involving rescues from places 'off the grid' and 2am taxi rides, I fear I might well get my monies worth!

« Reply #76 on: 16 November, 2014, 01:28:37 pm »
Are those sandwiches on Mary Jane's handlebars on the cover cable-tied on?

« Reply #77 on: 16 November, 2014, 02:32:37 pm »
On a slightly different note... can I make a small plea?

One of the joys of reading Arrivee is seeing the faces of the riders, many of whom I recognise.  However, many of the photos are taken from behind on the road.  The photographer is clearly snatching the moment to capture a rider - possibly against the upcoming terrain.  This approach means that we have a great many arse shots.  I, like most people, appreciate the contours of a toned tuchus but there is a limit...  Could I put in a plea that people take the opportunity to nip ahead and take a few snaps of riders's faces....

Andrew

« Reply #78 on: 16 November, 2014, 06:27:33 pm »
Your recovery vehicle could drop you at the nearest B&B. Better than nought certainly but perhaps not quite the recovery you'd prefer.

« Reply #79 on: 16 November, 2014, 07:20:36 pm »
BTW - has anyone noticed the advert on the back page of the current edition.  Do you think the advertisers actually realise who reads the magazine????

I think they do.  They already offer something for motorbike recovery so this is just a way of expanding into the cyclists market.  I've explained what sort of riding we do and what 24 hours, 365 days a year might mean to long distance AUKs.  I suppose they take a chance that the number of calls from Ardnamurchan will be low compared to somewhere like Yarnfield.  Experienced AUKs used to sorting themselves out might not think much of this service, but it might just give less experienced riders the confidence to try something a little more bold, which is what it's all about.  You make your own mind up.

Of course, with 365 days of cover, you might be nervous of going out on 31st December in a leap year.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #80 on: 16 November, 2014, 07:27:51 pm »
'Anywhere in the UK'? Including the Outer Hebrides?

« Reply #81 on: 16 November, 2014, 08:42:05 pm »
That National 400 route on page 7 looks rather special!

Ooh yes. There's a campsite in Dingwall, too - bit close to the railway line, mind. And the one time I stayed there, Ross County were at home...

« Reply #82 on: 16 November, 2014, 09:26:00 pm »

Well I guess so but perhaps someone was hoping for the referendum to go the other way

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #83 on: 16 November, 2014, 11:48:44 pm »
At £15 a year I'm not sure they have thought through the risk and the cost of repatriating a couple of people from the Brian Chapman or The Beast From the East....

Almost tempted to buy two!

I currently have similar cover with ETA, just slightly more expensive.

https://www.eta.co.uk/breakdown/bicycle/

I haven't compared the small print yet.
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #84 on: 17 November, 2014, 06:33:03 am »

Well I guess so but perhaps someone was hoping for the referendum to go the other way

Me for one ;)

« Reply #85 on: 17 November, 2014, 07:15:14 am »
At £15 a year I'm not sure they have thought through the risk and the cost of repatriating a couple of people from the Brian Chapman or The Beast From the East....

Almost tempted to buy two!

I currently have similar cover with ETA, just slightly more expensive.

https://www.eta.co.uk/breakdown/bicycle/

I haven't compared the small print yet.

Could you do a brief post when you do?  Will be interesting to see the comparison  :thumbsup:
Does not play well with others

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #86 on: 17 November, 2014, 02:12:38 pm »
Gaddi otp mentioned (without reference to this ad) that she has similar coverage. She couldn't remember the name of the firm but it cost about £3 a month, so more than this one but still hardly a king's ransom. I don't think she's ever had to use it (luckily!) but clearly there are a number of companies out there offering similar services. I'd presume most/all of them use some kind of franchise where you actually get picked up by Blogg's Motors of Ardnamurchan.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #87 on: 17 November, 2014, 08:44:18 pm »
My thought was that getting home at 2 am on an Audax could be quite expensive.  And just one claim on a longer ride would more than cover your premium

I had to cough up about £100 for a 2 am taxi to get me from the last control back to base on the Poor Student when my back wheel turned into putty one year.  (I still remember the jealous faces inside the BP petrol station as I climbed in the back of the warm people carrier...and the shameful thought that there were no further controls before the end...nobody would know would they...)

Martin

« Reply #88 on: 29 November, 2014, 12:33:09 am »
The cover picture is rather splendid although imho a truer representation of Audax is to be found inside the front cover. I have restapled my issue to reflect this.

Ain't that the truth ;D

Guess we would all gravitate to the feeling tone of either one or the other.
I know where you'd most likely find me!

Classic.

when I find out who has posted malicious and anonymous mail regarding this thread to my (old) address there is going to be a bit of a scene  >:(

understood? I can do without this shit  :(

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #89 on: 29 November, 2014, 12:12:37 pm »
The cover picture is rather splendid although imho a truer representation of Audax is to be found inside the front cover. I have restapled my issue to reflect this.

And rightly so.

I have to point out that this photo ( as is usual with cycling photos ) was taken on a climb.
Not a severe climb, you understand.
But a climb nonetheless!
And I'm out on the right because I'm trying to kid myself I can pass the others.
That's why I look like I'm going to burst into tears.

Ian Anderson-Gilbert has conspired to make the photos appear flat.

A cunning plan to attract next years entries. It is a good job that the wind is invisible ;)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #90 on: 29 November, 2014, 02:23:23 pm »

Ain't that the truth ;D

Classic.

when I find out who has posted malicious and anonymous mail regarding this thread to my (old) address there is going to be a bit of a scene  >:(

Seriously? Paper or email address?
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #91 on: 29 November, 2014, 02:44:26 pm »
Martin, that sounds grim and I hope you get it stopped.  I have to say on a lighter note that, having met you on Venetian Nights, you do look suspiciously well turned out on the front of the magazine!

All the best

Peter

Martin

« Reply #92 on: 29 November, 2014, 08:08:40 pm »

Ain't that the truth ;D

Classic.

paper; I don't even live there any more;

please note the actions of whoever did this and my issue with them are completely divorced from any posts by Lurcio and Von Broad which were meant in good humour and I have no problem with  :)

what I received was a doctored photocopy showing (as suggested) my cover pic (excellent thanks Mrs Blacksheep  :)) indeed supplanted by the inside front photo, the entire  suggestion of which is an insult to;
 myself, MaryJane the very deserved OSAAA champion, Mrs Blacksheep who took the photos, Ann who wrote the supporting article and Peter Moir the editor  :(

they also made reference to my behaviour at the prize-giving (they clearly weren't even there)  >:(

suffice to say that the person who did this like all trolls needs the oxygen of attention taking away and I'm therefore taking an indefinite time out from this place (apart from postings regarding the excellent rides I continue to enjoy)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #93 on: 29 November, 2014, 08:12:33 pm »
Trolling by C5 envelope?

That's a hardcore old-skool audaxer...

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #94 on: 30 November, 2014, 08:52:25 am »

Ain't that the truth ;D

Classic.

paper; I don't even live there any more;

please note the actions of whoever did this and my issue with them are completely divorced from any posts by Lurcio and Von Broad which were meant in good humour and I have no problem with  :)

what I received was a doctored photocopy showing (as suggested) my cover pic (excellent thanks Mrs Blacksheep  :)) indeed supplanted by the inside front photo, the entire  suggestion of which is an insult to;
 myself, MaryJane the very deserved OSAAA champion, Mrs Blacksheep who took the photos, Ann who wrote the supporting article and Peter Moir the editor  :(

they also made reference to my behaviour at the prize-giving (they clearly weren't even there)  >:(

suffice to say that the person who did this like all trolls needs the oxygen of attention taking away and I'm therefore taking an indefinite time out from this place (apart from postings regarding the excellent rides I continue to enjoy)

Well, I have to say I am shocked Martin!  If the culprit is discovered, if I were the victim, I would petition the Board for nothing less than a life ban from AUK.

It's riding a bike folks, a long way, sometimes up hills; it's nothing to get worked up about to the level where this could even be considered remotely appropriate behaviour.

Look after yourself Martin and see you on the road.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #95 on: 30 November, 2014, 11:52:16 am »

Bizarre. Utterly pointless, unpleasantly personal and not even mildly amusing.  ???

suffice to say that the person who did this like all trolls needs the oxygen of attention taking away

I can understand why you would want to vent your anger though.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #96 on: 30 November, 2014, 02:27:19 pm »
when I find out who has posted malicious and anonymous mail regarding this thread to my (old) address ......

I am also shocked by such behaviour by someone that clearly needs the attention of a large boot up the backside.  Bizarre that it was sent to your old address and I can only assume it was someone who does not know you that well, or they would know your new address, but knew the old address for whatever reason.

I wish you well in attempting to find out who was behind such a despicable act and agree we can all do without such nonsense.

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #97 on: 30 November, 2014, 03:41:08 pm »
+1 Wot Veloman said
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

« Reply #98 on: 30 November, 2014, 06:25:42 pm »
What have I missed ?
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #99 on: 30 November, 2014, 06:59:52 pm »
What have I missed ?

A plot line that could have been written by The League of Gentlemen

:thumbsup: