Author Topic: Your longest event  (Read 2515 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Your longest event
« on: 13 November, 2014, 08:47:41 am »
What was the longest event you've ridden and why was it memorable?

It might have been a calendar or permanent brevet or something else, the Transcontinental Race perhaps?

For me, it was 2010 Mille Miglia and I treasure the views riding through and past Tuscan hilltop towns and along the Genoese coast. The group I rode most of the way with was bloody good fun too.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Re: Your longest event
« Reply #1 on: 13 November, 2014, 08:54:40 am »
LEL at 1400km.

Main memories are "this would make a great 1000km event and I wouldn't have to ride as much across Lincolnshire"!

No, it was a good ride, and nice to really get into the groove over the four days - PBP starting in the afternoon/evening (for most) is over before you know it and doesn't have the day and night structure as much.  I hadn't planned to sleep until Edinburgh, but the favourable tailwinds on day one meant a sleep in Thirsk worked out nicely and turned the ride into proper days and nights; a bit of good fortune.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #2 on: 13 November, 2014, 09:00:57 am »
H-B-K-H 2014, 1500km. The Harz mountains were beautiful and I met some nice people from the Schleswig Club who I hope to ride with again.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #3 on: 13 November, 2014, 09:02:29 am »
PBP 1200 in 2011.

Memorable for: The size of the event, the carnival atmosphere and the locals providing continuous, good-humoured, support in every town and village.
It makes you feel quite special.

I'm attempting to go back in 2015, so I can enjoy it more.  I didn't know how to enjoy it properly the first time.  I expect this is why many people go back.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #4 on: 13 November, 2014, 11:16:53 am »

It might have been a calendar or permanent brevet or something else, the Transcontinental Race perhaps?

For me, it was 2010 Mille Miglia and I treasure the views riding through and past Tuscan hilltop towns and along the Genoese coast. The group I rode most of the way with was bloody good fun too.

Ditto.  Although I was in a group of 2 it was still great fun.  It felt more like a touring holiday than an Audax ride for long periods of time.  Spending the last night at the Fausto Coppi museum was  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #5 on: 13 November, 2014, 11:36:58 am »
LEL 1400

Memorable : How could it not be?
As the ride progressed I seemed to get stronger which I really hadn't expected.
Lots of good memories from that one.

Cycling alongside a Barn Owl at sunrise takes a bit of beating.

Not wanting to ride over Yad Moss alone in the cold wet night but it turning into a really good laugh because of the other riders I met.

Riding "alone" more often than not meant riding with a variety of others for short periods of time and that was really good fun. 

Most memorable bit would be joining my Bristol mates towards the end of the ride and noticing the pace pick up with excitement the closer we got to Loughton, and even had a few people cheering us from pubs and restaurants.
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

Lars

• n.b. have shaved off beard since photo taken
« Reply #6 on: 13 November, 2014, 11:39:42 am »
LEL 1,400km.

Memorable because it was my first ride beyond 600. It had good organisation, varied terrain and weather.
Plus it was first time for me visiting Northern England and Scotland. Also good to see such long rides are
well doable also for an on shorter distances rather average rider.

« Reply #7 on: 13 November, 2014, 12:32:30 pm »
210 km. on the Island of Bermuda. Its 20 odd miles long and has 3 main roads. Felt like a goldfish.
often lost.

« Reply #8 on: 13 November, 2014, 12:48:33 pm »
In 1998 Simon Jones revamped the Calais-Brindisi route to increase the distance to 2,500k and thus reduce the min speed to 200k per day. I put in a quick entry and managed to ride it before he did the route-check.

Basic preparation: a bike, money and cards, a brevet card, (v basic) routesheet, and Michelin atlas pages. One large saddlebag and a barbag. Wash and wear along the route. Found accommodation when I got tired. Got thoroughly lost several times. Finished in just over ten days.

When I got there I discovered Brindisi had an airport and flew back to Heathrow.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #9 on: 13 November, 2014, 12:51:28 pm »
I have only ever entered a 400km hence my sub-name "Inadequte Randonneur" because I have never been Super. I suppose I could say 450km because the first time I did it I made a bad navigation error not reading the route sheet properly. I knew the way from Tregaron to Pontrhydfendigaid so I approached it from the West. But this 400km took a loop to approach it from the North. I was then looking for a left turn sign posted Strata Florida, but my error put it on my right. I did not realise my mistake until the distance signposts started to suggest that I would be arriving in Aberystwyth shortly. I retraced my path and found the indicated left turn. A little later I found Mike Davies standing at the side of the road with a broken pump. He said where the hell have you been I've been waiting for hours. He had changed the tube so it did not take long before we got going.  I finished around 1am completely knackered.

« Reply #10 on: 13 November, 2014, 12:54:48 pm »
LEL 1400

We were fit as butchers dogs, and the route was a tandem friendly flat one (especially with a free route between controls) so for us, we had proper sleep every night, and a right old laugh.
Hammering it north over the flatlands with a bunch of Germans taking a tow and Cheesy Trucking Songs was awesome. The Good Doctor (Mekon) was still keeping his farts to himself at that point.

Good times.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #11 on: 13 November, 2014, 12:59:40 pm »
LEL 1400k Started with an injured shoulder & arm - finished with injured Achilles  :facepalm:

LeJoG 1400k - the best ride I've done - Datameisters blog: http://datameisterextremes.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/as-ready-as-im-getting.html
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #12 on: 13 November, 2014, 01:19:32 pm »

Likewise for me it was the same 2010 Mille Miglia, and joining your merry group after a couple of days ''freelance'' riding with whoever was willing to work with me. As you say, great memories of the lovely scenery, and the medieval hilltop towns, which were also beautiful in their night-time illumination. I wrote a long article, which still awaits editing and tidy-up... Loved it so much that we booked a coach tour in the same area last year, so my wife could enjoy the area as well.

Not sure about returning to ride that event again, though. We were fortunate because it was not as hot as normal that August, plus I am now 4 years older and slower (though all my Wessex rides must surely help with the climbing!)
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #13 on: 13 November, 2014, 01:20:25 pm »
Not really an event, but eventful.

2000 miles or 3200km in foreign distance; solo, self supported, from Salisbury - Lands end - John O'Groats - Salisbury because i was too tight to pay for a train to and from Penzance.

Memorable because of it raining every single day for the 17 days it took, and carrying the bike over the mile long Swarkstone bridge because it was flooded - in June!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14 on: 13 November, 2014, 01:24:47 pm »
PBP 2007. Great ride, great fun. Going for it again next year, already got my 600k in this year. Missed out on 2011 coz of unnecessary cardiac meds.

Wouldn't mind trying LeJog if they'd move it south by about 10°C.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Euan Uzami

« Reply #15 on: 13 November, 2014, 01:48:12 pm »
210 km. on the Island of Bermuda. Its 20 odd miles long and has 3 main roads. Felt like a goldfish.
:o Your longest ride, or its?! ;D  to think I nearly went there once to live. Quite glad i didn't tbh.

« Reply #16 on: 13 November, 2014, 02:09:16 pm »
PAC Tour 2009. Transcontinental across the US from Portland Oregon to Savannah, Georgia. 3484 miles in 30 days.

http://russbigadventure.wordpress.com/

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #17 on: 13 November, 2014, 02:22:25 pm »

I'm glad I'm not the only one posting with a "longest ride" that isn't four figures.

My longest was this year's 3Down at 308km. My first ever 300 and enjoyed it a lot. I had hoped to ride a 400 and 600 this year, but missed Severn Across because I forgot to enter it until it was too late, DNS-ed Asparagus and Strawberries because I'd royally screwed up my bike fit (as became painfully apparent during the Stonehenge 200 the week before), and then broke my road bike which put paid to any serious distances (I did a couple of 100s on the mountain bike to complete Randonneur 1000 but didn't fancy attempting anything longer on it)

The 3Down was a really good ride, it went through many of my old stomping grounds and although I've cycled from London to the New Forest and from the New Forest to London I'd never done both ways in the same day.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

« Reply #18 on: 13 November, 2014, 03:27:57 pm »

[/quote]
 :o Your longest ride, or its?! ;D  to think I nearly went there once to live. Quite glad i didn't tbh.
[/quote]

There is a surprisingly active cycling community here, primarily road racing.
the good thing is that you can cycle year round as Winters are mild, though its really hot and humid in summer.
You do get to see the whole of the Island ALOT though on a decent ride.
training for Alpine trips, there are two hills that reach maybe 200 feet, brings a whole new dimension to hill repeats...
often lost.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #19 on: 13 November, 2014, 03:28:42 pm »
Eightsome Reel 1575km Perm. Possibly my Greatest Achievement TM, but I don't like to talk about it.

Why was it memorable?
How could six days alone with McNasty not be memorable?

It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #20 on: 13 November, 2014, 04:06:50 pm »
Eightsome Reel 1575km Perm. Possibly my Greatest Achievement TM, but I don't like to talk about it.

Why was it memorable?
How could six days alone with McNasty not be memorable?

Ah good, someone who knows........What is this Eightsome Reel, the description on the AUK website isn't very revealing.........

"1500km cycling event starting from .." Is it a 1500km from anywhere to anywhere or anywhere and back ?

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #21 on: 13 November, 2014, 04:33:38 pm »
There's a link to a map in this thread:

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=68162.0

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #22 on: 14 November, 2014, 12:18:20 am »
my longest so far was the transcontinental london-istanbul 3400km long, memorable because of the heat (every day around 40'c), first time in the alps and a shere magnitude of adventure (without any support). other long and great rides were 1001miglia (1600km), lel, hgwi1300, pbp..

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #23 on: 14 November, 2014, 12:53:10 am »

hills in tuscany... such a treat!! wonderful memories from that ride.

« Reply #24 on: 14 November, 2014, 12:26:42 pm »
210 km. on the Island of Bermuda.
I guess you rode around the island in triangles ;D ;D
https://creweandnantwichaudax.wordpress.com/ - See the Audax events I currently organise

www.milehousebarn.co.uk - Cycle Friendly B&B in Nantwich, Chehsire