Author Topic: iphone GPS Numpty Newbie  (Read 1361 times)

iphone GPS Numpty Newbie
« on: 03 March, 2014, 05:52:25 pm »
Hi, I have a iphone 4, can anyone tell me how to get a route on to it so I can follow it ? I use strava on it and I have plotted routes using the route planner but I don't know how I get to follow them or gpx files.

Thanks Colin
123 Miles East of Marsh Gibbon

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: iphone GPS Numpty Newbie
« Reply #1 on: 03 March, 2014, 07:42:55 pm »
I can't directly answer your question but the problem with using smart phones on a bike is battery life and weather proofness  (is that a word?).

You might want to consider investing in a Garmin exTrex 20.

« Reply #2 on: 04 March, 2014, 06:51:47 am »
'proofing' sounds better.

'Hermetic' would be overkill and downright pompous.

« Reply #3 on: 04 March, 2014, 10:05:23 am »
Hi there Colin, try an 'App' called ViewRanger.  Register online (on a laptop) and also on your phone app.  When you sync the phone it will download all the routes & maps you have on your computer.  Viewranger is used widely by the Hiking community, 1:50,000 OS Maps are very cheap too.

Regards,

Chris.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #4 on: 04 March, 2014, 10:39:55 am »
Viewranger can also use OSM maps now too, which are free.

« Reply #5 on: 04 March, 2014, 06:15:52 pm »
I can't directly answer your question but the problem with using smart phones on a bike is battery life and weather proofness  (is that a word?).

You might want to consider investing in a Garmin exTrex 20.

Thanks Oscars dad, I have a waterproof case and as I'm a newbie cyclist I think I will run out of power before the iphone battery runs out  :) :)

« Reply #6 on: 04 March, 2014, 06:17:31 pm »
Thanks Chris and Tim, I'm now trying to get it onto my iphone  :) :)

« Reply #7 on: 04 March, 2014, 06:49:35 pm »
Hi there Colin, try an 'App' called ViewRanger.  Register online (on a laptop) and also on your phone app.  When you sync the phone it will download all the routes & maps you have on your computer.  Viewranger is used widely by the Hiking community, 1:50,000 OS Maps are very cheap too.

Regards,

Chris.

Also the app of choice for the search and rescue community.  It's very good and becoming ubiquitous.  You'll need a Tecknet (or similar) power source for extended use though.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #8 on: 04 March, 2014, 07:14:56 pm »
I have an iPhone and we are doing a bit of walking in the summer. I might try ViewRanger.