Author Topic: water resistant/proof brake cables  (Read 1028 times)

water resistant/proof brake cables
« on: 27 December, 2010, 02:03:54 pm »
i have a problem with water getting into the brake cables on my trice and as soon as the temp drops below freezing the brakes lock on till the next thaw . this can be a little inconvenient when in the middle of nowhere on a dark night. i am thinking of gore cable or is there a sealed grease filled system out there. on the trice the cables run in a nice curve under the bars and up to the brakes ,perfect for moisture to collect at the low point .even dew is enough to start rust on the inner :(. has anyone tried transfil mudlovers cables from chain reaction cycle as there are only 2 reviews and 1 is good and 1 is bad   ::-).
the slower you go the more you see

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Re: water resistant/proof brake cables
« Reply #1 on: 27 December, 2010, 02:08:08 pm »
IIRC, Grub - and possibly others use these:

GORE® RIDE ON® Cable Systems

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #2 on: 27 December, 2010, 02:29:37 pm »
You could have fully waterproof cables but water would still get in through the metal connection at the brake end.
I've got the same problem on mine.
Have thought about thick grease maybe vaseline on both ends or a gator of some kind. I've just not got around to doing anything about it.

Clandy

« Reply #3 on: 27 December, 2010, 02:31:44 pm »
As Rich said, grease. I grease the entire cable length.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4 on: 27 December, 2010, 02:56:53 pm »
Grease along an entire cable can add a noticeable amount of friction, depending on the components and routing.  I would just grease the ends if not using special cables.

Perhaps some soft rubber tape might help as well.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #5 on: 27 December, 2010, 04:31:10 pm »
thanks everyone :thumbsup:. i have tried just grease but i can never seem to get enough into the outer to stop moisture getting in . i think i will try the gore cables with a bit of grease at each end . that and whatever sealing they have got will hopefully be an improvement  :)
the slower you go the more you see