Author Topic: LWL20  (Read 8604 times)

LWL20
« on: 09 September, 2019, 06:06:44 pm »
In case word hadn't reached you... London Wales London 2020 is scheduled by Manotea for Saturday 2 May. The AUK entry will open on 21 September...

This year you'll be subject to Paul's TLC and the love and care of the usual committed souls around the country who run the controls....

Phil W

Re: LWL20
« Reply #1 on: 09 September, 2019, 06:14:18 pm »
I'd like to return this next year. As Severn Across, it was my first 400 in 2013.  Let's see if I can beat the crush.

« Reply #2 on: 09 September, 2019, 09:10:21 pm »
I'd like to return this next year. As Severn Across, it was my first 400 in 2013.  Let's see if I can beat the crush.
On which we met, when your riding partner had abandoned you ☹️
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Phil W

« Reply #3 on: 09 September, 2019, 09:23:33 pm »
Yes I'd not packed my arm or leg warmers by mistake (they were in a pannier used for work commutes) . It was bloody freezing.

« Reply #4 on: 09 September, 2019, 09:36:38 pm »
If I can get in, I hope to actually start. I've been a DNS for 3 years for numerous reasons.

« Reply #5 on: 11 September, 2019, 08:28:42 pm »
If I can get in, I hope to actually start. I've been a DNS for 3 years for numerous reasons.

But your help at Woodstock last year was much appreciated!

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #6 on: 12 September, 2019, 08:47:46 am »
Kudos to the people who wrote the texts on that website, very informative and enticing; it gives a really welcoming vibe.

halhorner

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #7 on: 12 September, 2019, 05:14:56 pm »
Agree, whilst still being 'audaxy'

« Reply #8 on: 16 September, 2019, 02:04:24 pm »
So I understand that Manotea has set up the system to start at Midnight on Saturday morning.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #9 on: 16 September, 2019, 03:02:20 pm »
So I understand that Manotea has set up the system to start at Midnight on Saturday morning.

Ah, so that means staying up until after midnight to enter and then getting up again at 5 to head off to the start of the 4-minute mile at 08.00.   :-\   Think I might have to pass on the former.  C'est la vie.  I've done it before so I'm happy to let someone else have a shot at riding up Symonds Yat.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #10 on: 16 September, 2019, 03:16:46 pm »

Ah, so that means staying up until after midnight to enter and then getting up again at 5 to head off to the start of the 4-minute mile at 08.00.   :-\   Think I might have to pass on the former.  C'est la vie.  I've done it before so I'm happy to let someone else have a shot at riding up Symonds Yat.
It you could enter when you get up at 5. I doubt it will sell out in 5 hours

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #11 on: 16 September, 2019, 04:42:58 pm »
Ah, so that means staying up until after midnight to enter and then getting up again at 5 to head off to the start of the 4-minute mile at 08.00.   :-\   
I'm in the same boat .... but I'm starting the 4-minute mile at 07.30.  ;)

You could enter when you get up at 5. I doubt it will sell out in 5 hours

I remember similar things being said about LEL and PBP .... but I think I'll risk it.

« Reply #12 on: 16 September, 2019, 07:01:56 pm »

It you could enter when you get up at 5. I doubt it will sell out in 5 hours

I suspect that Manotea has a cunning plan to make sure it won't sell out quite as quickly. Although last year there were people getting very worried that the AUK website was operating on GMT and I did get entries from people at 0101!

Everyone on the waiting list also got offered a ride in the end the last couple of years...

S2L

« Reply #13 on: 17 September, 2019, 10:46:39 am »

I suspect that Manotea has a cunning plan to make sure it won't sell out quite as quickly. Although last year there were people getting very worried that the AUK website was operating on GMT and I did get entries from people at 0101!

Everyone on the waiting list also got offered a ride in the end the last couple of years...

Within the AUK entry system there is no cunning way to control entries... either it's open and anyone can enter, or it's closed and nobody can enter. There is even no way to control the number of entries, so if Manotea was to get a thousand entries in 3 hours while he is asleep (it won't happen), there is no practical way to stop that happening and reversing entries might prove problematic too.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #14 on: 17 September, 2019, 11:35:51 am »

Within the AUK entry system there is no cunning way to control entries... either it's open and anyone can enter, or it's closed and nobody can enter. There is even no way to control the number of entries, so if Manotea was to get a thousand entries in 3 hours while he is asleep (it won't happen), there is no practical way to stop that happening and reversing entries might prove problematic too.
Seems like a shortfall that entries cant be limited automatically

Eddington  127miles, 170km

S2L

« Reply #15 on: 17 September, 2019, 11:47:43 am »

Seems like a shortfall that entries cant be limited automatically

The max number many organisers input in the event page has no value, it is only an indication of "how big" the event is expected to be. But really, all the organiser can do is close for entries at any given point in time, no real control as such

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #16 on: 17 September, 2019, 10:06:04 pm »
Ah, so that means staying up until after midnight to enter and then getting up again at 5 to head off to the start of the 4-minute mile at 08.00.   :-\   
I'm in the same boat .... but I'm starting the 4-minute mile at 07.30.  ;)

Ah, yes.  Thanks for that. I'm so used to 200s starting at 08.00 that  I hadn't even checked the start time  ::-)

Even less sleep, then... :hand:
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #17 on: 19 September, 2019, 01:30:08 am »
I think you'll find that the organizer will look kindly on riders who might struggle to gain a place should the initial allocation of places fill up quickly if they can demonstrate they were on a ride/in bed preparing for said ride. :)

« Reply #18 on: 19 September, 2019, 10:19:09 am »
I think you'll find that the organizer will look kindly on riders who might struggle to gain a place should the initial allocation of places fill up quickly if they can demonstrate they were on a ride/in bed preparing for said ride. :)

Have you considered putting yourself forward to handle the Brexit negotiations? With linguistic skills like that I'm sure we'd be in safe hands...

« Reply #19 on: 19 September, 2019, 12:40:34 pm »
London Wales London is one of the premier 400k rides of AUK's year. May I enquire why LWL in 2020 is not BRM? I note the slight over distance (407km) at BR offers 8 more minutes (@15kph) as opposed to 27 hours were it BRM.

Manotea

« Reply #20 on: 19 September, 2019, 11:26:55 pm »
I'm just dusting down the event entry process...

Entries open 00:00 Saturday 21st September, a.k.a., FRIDAY midnight...

A mailshot to the mailing list is about to fly as a reminder..

In other news, this year we are using an external ticketing/event entry system which amongst other things includes support to manage the waiting list.

It will be interesting to see how this is received!

S2L

« Reply #21 on: 20 September, 2019, 07:22:50 am »
I'm just dusting down the event entry process...

Entries open 00:00 Saturday 21st September, a.k.a., FRIDAY midnight...

A mailshot to the mailing list is about to fly as a reminder..

In other news, this year we are using an external ticketing/event entry system which amongst other things includes support to manage the waiting list.

It will be interesting to see how this is received!

My understanding is that entries always open at 1 AM rather than midnight, something to do with summer and winter time in the AUK website...
For someone as boring as myself it would be too much to bear to stay up until midnight just to find out I have to wait another hour... I'll gamble on the early morning instead

Manotea

« Reply #22 on: 20 September, 2019, 09:37:06 am »
A mailshot went out to the event mailing list this morning....

Its almost time - registrations open at 00:00 Saturday 21st Sept, i.e., tonight at midnight!

This year we are using a new entry process with q new ticketing/event entry system.

To register, visit londonwaleslondon.com/how-to-enter/

Here you will find the link to the entry system, and advice on matters such as waiting lists, parent consents,membership and insurance,

FAQ1: Are places guaranteed for female riders again this year? A: Yes - but you still have to enter!

FAQ2: I have a deferred entry from last year, what should I do? A: If you have already paid then please email the organiser at info@londonwaleslondon.com with the word DEFERRED within 14 days of registrations opening, and they will ensure you're included on the start list. If you have not already paid then enter as normal and if you find yourself on the waiting list, email the organiser as above.

S2L

« Reply #23 on: 20 September, 2019, 10:36:53 am »
A mailshot went out to the event mailing list this morning....

Its almost time - registrations open at 00:00 Saturday 21st Sept, i.e., tonight at midnight!

This year we are using a new entry process with q new ticketing/event entry system.

To register, visit londonwaleslondon.com/how-to-enter/

Here you will find the link to the entry system, and advice on matters such as waiting lists, parent consents,membership and insurance,

FAQ1: Are places guaranteed for female riders again this year? A: Yes - but you still have to enter!

FAQ2: I have a deferred entry from last year, what should I do? A: If you have already paid then please email the organiser at info@londonwaleslondon.com with the word DEFERRED within 14 days of registrations opening, and they will ensure you're included on the start list. If you have not already paid then enter as normal and if you find yourself on the waiting list, email the organiser as above.

Thanks for that... I thought saturday at midnight was tomorrow night, not tonight...  :o ...

« Reply #24 on: 20 September, 2019, 12:09:25 pm »
My suspicion is that because it is not PBP year, the selling out won't be quite as speedy as past years - there's always a drop off in the years after PBP.