Author Topic: Life Expectancy of Edge 705?  (Read 1521 times)

Life Expectancy of Edge 705?
« on: 22 September, 2013, 10:36:45 am »
I've had my Edge 705 for about 3 years now. My old Edge 305 lasted about 3 years then died, now the 705 is giving me problems: turning off and the battery life is down to about 11 hours. Elsewhere Glover Fan makes some interesting comments about possible fixes, but bearing in mind consumer electronics are normally designed to last about 5 years, is this thing coming to the end of it's life? It's not so bad as to be a real problem yet, but who's got an Edge that is much older, is used every day and is still 100%?

Re: Life Expectancy of Edge 705?
« Reply #1 on: 22 September, 2013, 11:27:58 am »
I've had mine for maybe 5 years.

I replaced the battery in it recently, its an easy job.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #2 on: 22 September, 2013, 12:21:47 pm »
... bearing in mind consumer electronics are normally designed to last about 5 years

Li-ion battery runtime declines rapidly after 3 years, more or less regardless of usage.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3 on: 22 September, 2013, 01:04:11 pm »
Suitable batteries and tools for the Edge 705 and 605 are on eBay.

It's true that they die sooner than some other rechargeables even when not used, but I find that that Li-ion batteries can still have most of the original capacity after 5 years and more if they haven't been used much and mostly kept in a cool place.  For example, this was the case with my Lumicycle battery that I only used occasionally and stored in an unheated room, but not with my laptop batteries that are used all the time and get hot.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #4 on: 22 September, 2013, 04:14:21 pm »
I'm on my third 705 in three-and-a-bit years. USB port died on the first one after about eighteen months, replaced under warranty, USB port was failing on the second one a few weeks ago so I got a refurb from Garmin. Hopefully this one will last a bit longer! Did the battery on the second one, as Flatus said it's an easy job.

« Reply #5 on: 22 September, 2013, 08:30:20 pm »
Mine is 5 years old, replaced the battery about a year ago.

Still going strong.

« Reply #6 on: 23 September, 2013, 03:10:45 pm »
Sounds like mine is about par for the course then, perhaps I'll buy it a new battery for Christmas  :)

« Reply #7 on: 23 September, 2013, 09:43:32 pm »
eTrex Legend, Oct 06 to Mayish 10.
Edge 605, May 10 to Sept 11.

« Reply #8 on: 23 September, 2013, 09:46:43 pm »
You can buy 705 batteries on ebay for a tenner including tools.

It's a simple job and as you have read my thread, it could be that the connector has just become loose with vibrations.

Mine is working as good as new now, No problems whatsoever.

« Reply #9 on: 25 September, 2013, 10:52:18 am »
Ningishzidda - Wow you were unlucky with the 605, I have an old one that is still going strong after 4 years. It is only used on Tandem and shopping bike rides these days, so that might explain it's longevity. If you don't mind me asking, what do you use these days?

My Lemming like sense of direction is a constant embarrassment to me, on the road I'm easy to spot by the 2 GPS (705 & 500) on my bike.  I must admit the 705 problems did have my thoughts turning to one of the models with a larger screen, perhaps a Oregon :)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #10 on: 25 September, 2013, 11:29:58 am »
My 705 is at least five years old, and is going absolutely fine. I did buy a new battery when I suspected it might be struggling a bit, but it seemed to recover without surgery so the new battery is gathering dust somewhere. I have a 305 which is some years older, and also still going strong on my son's bike. I hope my 800 is as long-lived!