Author Topic: Oregon 750 not recognizing OSM maps  (Read 2020 times)

Oregon 750 not recognizing OSM maps
« on: 02 October, 2016, 09:49:12 am »
A pretty small band of users at the moment, but I thought I'd try here just in case.

I used to have an Oregon 600 until I managed to lose it 6 months ago, so when the 700 series came out I splurged on a 750.

I’ve had it about a week now and I’m having real problems getting it to recognise maps. With some effort I got it to recognise the Garmin map on my 32gb Scandisk SD card, but it refuses to acknowledge the existence of the OSM maps I’ve also put on the card.

They are in the card’s “Garmin” directory, just like the gmapsupp.img file. At least two of them worked fine on and are named exactly as they were with my 600. I up-graded to the latest firmware (2.60) in case it was that, but no effect.

Has there been some change to naming conventions? Do Oregons no longer recognise Open Source Maps? Has anyone got any theories as to what might be going on?

So rather than just copy old IMG files onto the card I tried installing a new copy of OSM in Basecamp and then using Basecamp to install the map on the Oregon. Basecamp sent the file to the SD card as you would expect, but instead of a second map appearing, now the Oregon won't even recognise the original Garmin map!

Has anyone been able to get a new 700 series to recognise an OSM / third-party map? I'm beginning to suspect that Garmin has gone crazy with DRM on this new GPS and the only maps that will work are their official Garmin ones. That would really suck, OSM has far greater detail for footpaths, etc. than the Garmin offerings.

Re: Oregon 750 not recognizing OSM maps
« Reply #1 on: 02 October, 2016, 10:22:49 pm »
Someone on another forum pointed me to this: https://openmtbmap.org/garmin/unicode-maps/ apparently Garmin are requiring all maps to use non-Unicode encoding. Anyone else come across this problem?

I was able to get the Oregon 750 to recognise a map from this site: http://freizeitkarte-osm.de

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: Oregon 750 not recognizing OSM maps
« Reply #2 on: 03 October, 2016, 09:13:19 am »
The best OSM download sites will be the ones that can adapt to Garmin's new requirement, but this will probably take a while.  It's more than ironic if Garmin utilise OSM data in the maps they issue with their GPSs, then block this supposedly 'open' source.

[edit to add - if Garmin are moving to this new requirement, that will make me very chary about applying firmware updates to older devices.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll