Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1575926 times)

ian

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #11425 on: 03 September, 2019, 11:52:27 am »
On the mothership no-one is labelled. No names on desks, no department names. Subdecks languish in complete anonymity. No one knows where planetary resource plundering is located, or for that matter, population enslavement and exploitation. I guess they're somewhere.

I've no idea why. I only know I face finance because they have the dullest calls ever (whenever I gripe about my job, I remind myself that I could have entire days dedicated to VAT ledgers, honestly, I'd bake my head).

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11426 on: 04 September, 2019, 02:30:42 pm »
Three warm, sunny, windless days during which I've had to stop home because son & his missus to be entertained. They go home tomorrow \o/ and the weather turns cool & windy. :(
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #11427 on: 05 September, 2019, 01:23:04 pm »
Sorry, I forgot you might be hooked on my toilet trouble drama and thusly I owe an update.

It seems to be fixed. No more puddle (leastways until the FiL visits, he must use some kind of Hozelock sprinkler attachment).

It didn't do too much damage (there's a wooden floor in the downstairs loo, not sure why we didn't have it tiled, anyway) other than ripping out all the panelling (mostly held in place by mastic). Yes, yes, Mr Grown-up, it surely would have been a better idea screwing the panels in place. Don't complain too much, we'll be paying you to put it all back. He also pulled out the disco-LED from the bathroom which, in the spirit of easy replaceability, involved yanking out a piece of ceiling to extract the entire unit. I think he just likes smashing bits of my house.

Turned out to be a cracked attachment where the cistern pipe joins the toilet proper. The chap who fitted it must have known it was cracked as instead of getting a new one, he's just put mastic all over it. Not sure why it took five years to decide to leak, but there you go. It happens to us all in the end.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11428 on: 05 September, 2019, 05:10:54 pm »
...he's just put mastic all over it. Not sure why it took five years to decide to leak, but there you go.

Gave him the time to scarper.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11429 on: 05 September, 2019, 05:17:23 pm »
Turned out to be a cracked attachment where the cistern pipe joins the toilet proper.

If I recall fuzzy reporting on a job interview correctly, this is known as a Doughnut.

« Reply #11430 on: 06 September, 2019, 08:03:41 am »
I work in a building without aircon (but the windows open). It gets very very hot.

We are still reliant on desk fans to survive in the afternoons.

The bloody heating has just come on. Rads around the building are red hot.

FFS
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #11431 on: 06 September, 2019, 09:16:08 am »
The solution is to remove all your clothes and adopt the sauna pose.

ian

« Reply #11432 on: 08 September, 2019, 12:59:54 pm »
Oh, those little pots of Waitrose Cooks Ingredients dried wild herbs, they're evil. While they contain useful cookery goodness superior to other pots of dried herbs, they're flimsy little containers filled with near-weightless dried contents and very approximately sealed with an insubstantial lid. Anyone familiar with these will know that they will fall over and distribute their contents over their kitchen worktop merely from the pressure of someone looking at them.

Anyway, stretching to grab the oregano from the cupboard for my grilled cheese sandwich, I managed to dislodge the wild thyme next to it. A full container, which fell to the worktop and *pop*.

On the plus side, the kitchen smells nice. I'll be finding the bloody stuff for weeks. I've also remembered that I was supposed to be getting a replacement for the broken handheld vacuum that really, really would have been handy about now.

The sandwich was good though.

I'm aware that this is quite possibly the most middle-class grumble ever.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #11433 on: 08 September, 2019, 04:56:45 pm »
Birmingham Council forms on website... endless, lets you complete a page without being clear you've missed one of the 725735935923 options...

Having 725735935923 options and no clear list at the start with "you will need A B C D E F G H I J K L etc info before you do this form" which means it's impossible to complete.

And acting like salaries are regular, when they're not. I can't answer some of the Qs cos I'm on a zero hours contract with salary varying from £24 to £1000 a month...

It lets you finish one of the 15+ pages of form with 'errors' but only alerts in a sidebar... It decides you've tried to submit a page at the drop of a hat so covers the page with red writing making the proper form hard to see.  They need to go to gov.uk and learn some lessons about accessibility.

And no fucking email addresses easily findable, the contact us page pushes you into drop downs and then the shitty webforms I've wasted 30 mins fighting already.  I'm not phoning, I'm deaf, they have Equality Act duties that they can damned well meet.

I have tweeted at them. If no reply I'm going to defenestrate them.

If they had said upfront "financial eligibility criteria of $FOO upfront I'd know one way or another and not WASTE MY TIME"...

This is how they make it too hard and scary for poor and cognitively and mentally limited people to access their entitlements!

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #11434 on: 09 September, 2019, 05:21:18 pm »
CHRISTMAS CARDS!!!!

Spotted on 9th September in British Heart Foundation charity shop. What the Dickens!!!!!????
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #11435 on: 11 September, 2019, 05:12:49 pm »
Why is it that whenever I don't 'take a name' at the end of a phone conversation, they never actually seem to 'get back to me' as promised...  ::-)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #11436 on: 11 September, 2019, 05:23:43 pm »
CHRISTMAS CARDS!!!!

Spotted on 9th September in British Heart Foundation charity shop. What the Dickens!!!!!????
Mince Pies (sweet variety as traditionally eaten in December, not mutton).  Local Co-Op. Likewise early this week.  CBA to check "best before", but I expect it to be only be mid/late Oct. at best so it's not as if you could buy them now to spread the cost of Xmas catering.  Stupid isn't it?
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11437 on: 11 September, 2019, 05:40:35 pm »
I was told that BHF (or was it a local hospice? anyway, a charity shop chain) has its Christmas cards out from May.  >:(
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #11438 on: 12 September, 2019, 09:55:14 am »
I can't post on the "Oiks Shouting Stuff..." thread because:

Reason:
This URL is blocked. Category: Adult Material. URL:
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=post;topic=1629.0;last_msg=2415076

This web page has been blocked by the Boundary Protection Service (BPS) in accordance with MOD web filtering policy.

??? :o :facepalm: ::-)
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #11439 on: 12 September, 2019, 03:37:49 pm »
Smoke alarm.  You had a shiny new PP3 a couple of weeks ago.  Why are you going "peep" ?

Because, like printers, they were sent from hell to make us miserable.  And occasionally save lives.

I've had stereo car & house alarms going off all day as well  :(    Sigh.   I suppose I'd better risk life & limb by standing on a chair & changing the battery again.  Otherwise I'll get no sleep.

I reseated the battery & it was quiet.  Just got back to a smoke free flat after 11 days away & it's going "peep" again  :facepalm:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #11440 on: 12 September, 2019, 06:24:41 pm »
I've done some of the washing from my tour, had a shower & was just about to pop out to the shops for a few essentials.    It's hooching down  :facepalm:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #11441 on: 13 September, 2019, 12:47:54 pm »
CHRISTMAS CARDS!!!!

Mince Pies (sweet variety as traditionally eaten in December, not mutton).  Local Co-Op. Likewise early this week.  CBA to check "best before", but I expect it to be only be mid/late Oct. at best so it's not as if you could buy them now to spread the cost of Xmas catering.  Stupid isn't it?

On Wednesday, I chatted to a school caretaker who said he's seen a Christmas tree up, in full regalia, in a Brighton hotel!!!! WHAT!???
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11442 on: 13 September, 2019, 01:04:50 pm »
For as long as I can remember, the 'Christmas Season' has always started once the kids are 'safely back at school' in my mind, which is usually the second week in September.

Woolworth's always did this and they've been gone HOW long?

Hotels etc need to get advance bookings for club and corporate beanfeasts so they need to stay ahead.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11443 on: 13 September, 2019, 02:18:07 pm »
Hotels etc need to get advance bookings for club and corporate beanfeasts so they need to stay ahead.

The hospitality industry gets a special exemption to the "No Christmas until after the fireworks have stopped" rule.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #11444 on: 13 September, 2019, 02:25:52 pm »

The hospitality industry gets a special exemption to the "No Christmas until after the fireworks have stopped" rule.

No it fucking doesn't, not in my world.

The list of people up against the wall come the revolution includes those inflicting Christmas unfeasibly early. That is unless I'm done first for counterrevolutionary activities.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11445 on: 13 September, 2019, 02:38:45 pm »

No it fucking doesn't, not in my world.

The list of people up against the wall come the revolution includes those inflicting Christmas unfeasibly early. That is unless I'm done first for counterrevolutionary activities.

Taking bookings isn't inflicting Christmas, it's forward planning.  Something this country could, in general, do with a bit more of.  On that basis they're allowed One (1) sign and/or web page with a light Christmassy theme, encouraging people to book their enforced corporate revelry in a timely manner.  This does not extend to actual Christmas trees, decorations or god forbid - jingly bell music, the presence of which before the 1st of December (outside premises bearing a licence for the manufacture of such items) should be dealt with in accordance with the now legendary Lord Vetinari's policy on mime artists.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #11446 on: 13 September, 2019, 02:49:13 pm »
Bookings, I accept in theory, as long as you need to go down a grubby alley to do so. Only problem is it never stopt there; why not a bit of glitter, tinsel, smell of pine or mulled wine to get you in the mood? How about sleigh bells tinkling in the background.

Its creeping Christmasism that requires mandatory reeducation camps.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11447 on: 13 September, 2019, 03:13:17 pm »
I REALLY don't think Christmas timings creep much  We Grumpy Old Gits might think it does but:
I recall a colleague passing a catalogue round my workplace on 15 July 1990 ±1
Real Xmas always starts when the clocks go back
Early Xmas starts in September.

Choral societies start rehearsing for Christmas concerts in September, don't they?

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #11448 on: 13 September, 2019, 08:23:15 pm »
Choral societies start rehearsing for Christmas concerts in September, don't they?

Many years ago, I played for a (not very good at all) brass band in Ilford that used to start practising Christmas carols in August, to give themselves the best chance of getting them right by December...

...never worked though. To be honest, if they'd kept rehearsing nothing but carols all year round they'd still have been incapable of playing them!  :-[
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #11449 on: 13 September, 2019, 10:52:06 pm »
As a once project manager I got used to living my life 3 to 6 months in advance (in the vain hope that the developers would actually deliver on time) but Advent starts 4 Sunday’s before Christmas and any and all transgressions outside that quite excessively allowed window should be treated with proper sanctions. As Dave says, those tasked with arranging the mandatory Christmas cheer should have to do so discreetly down secluded and grubby alleys out of sight and mind of decent civilised society.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.