Author Topic: Hi-vis jersey  (Read 4328 times)

Hi-vis jersey
« on: 13 April, 2016, 06:17:55 pm »
So, hi-vis isn't flavour of the month in some parts hereabouts but I think it's good.  My favourite day-glo greeny-yellow thing came from Lidl and like all good cycling jerseys is long in the body, but unlike every other cycling jersey I've ever owned, it lacked the traditional pockets on the back. Enter second Lidl product, a hi-vis gilet/waistcoat (is there any difference?), and a mother/daughter combo with a sewing machine, et voila! day-glow jersey with pockets made from said gilet, complete with reflective stripes.

Take one Lidl bright green/yellow pocketless jersey

Add 1,98€ Lidl safety waistcoat

Cut waistcoat to size

Ask obliging daughter and her grandma to fire up the sewing machine. Grandma uses a triangular leather needle to cope with the mix of stretchy and non-stretchy fabrics. Also uses short stitch zig-zag to give some 'give' to the pocket seams. Result: hi-vis jersey with extra safe pockets. It's a win.

They laughed when I said I was going to be a stand-up comedian. They're not laughing now.

RibbleRouser

Re: Hi-vis jersey
« Reply #1 on: 13 April, 2016, 10:11:28 pm »
I like it...especially the three large pockets, I find them easy to stash food in and maybe a map, some of my newer tops have smaller and/or zippered pockets which are a bit of a faff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 13 April, 2016, 11:40:14 pm »
Not a fan of hi-vis, but that's a nice piece of practical fettling.  I should really have a go at doing darkside-friendly pockets one day...

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #3 on: 17 April, 2016, 09:52:30 pm »
Grandma uses a triangular leather needle to cope with the mix of stretchy and non-stretchy fabrics. Also uses short stitch zig-zag to give some 'give' to the pocket seams.
As the owner of a pre-WW1 Frister & Rossmann German sewing machine, I'm awfully impressed by your grandma and her use of aforesaid needle. And the short stitch zig-zags have given me a bad attack of sewing envy.
And I like high-viz, and  I like reflectives. And when riding in the dark I have three or four rear lights. This may or may not have contributed to my ability to type this, instead of rotting in a coffin. Just sayin'.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #4 on: 17 April, 2016, 10:32:45 pm »
Daughter's grandma is my mum and a mere 84 years young next week. She was called on for this when daughter's Lidl bought sewing machine cried off in a huff of snapped thread so mum's Bernina was (wo)man enough for for the job that had defeated the wimpy Lidl special. The needle intended for leather was apparently the right tool for the job that this right old tool had asked of them. It looked so easy in theory to a non-threadsmith like me.  Grandma/granddaughter power to the rescue.
They laughed when I said I was going to be a stand-up comedian. They're not laughing now.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #5 on: 20 April, 2016, 10:28:39 pm »
Grandma/granddaughter power to the rescue.
Chapeau
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.