Author Topic: Bike lock  (Read 4392 times)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
Bike lock
« on: 19 July, 2019, 03:15:58 pm »
What are people using to secure their bikes at the controls a) for a quick stop.  B) for a sleep stop.  I dont want to carry several kilos of sold secure gold lock, just enough to be sure it will still be there. Is a cafe lock enough or do I need something a little more robust?

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
Re: Bike lock
« Reply #1 on: 19 July, 2019, 03:26:00 pm »
Abus Combiflex 2503 has doen the job so far (famous last words) less than 100g, 120cm cable and 4 digits

Phil W

« Reply #2 on: 19 July, 2019, 03:32:33 pm »
Really depends on your paranoia and level of trust. I took a cafe lock last time but don't recall using it on the event but dud use a couple of times outside of the ride.

bairn again

« Reply #3 on: 19 July, 2019, 03:37:58 pm »
I think I will take a lightweight one just in case.

I lost my bike at Dreux in 2007 and was convinced after a while that somebody had taken it.  It took half an hour to find it (user error as ever....) 

« Reply #4 on: 19 July, 2019, 04:01:25 pm »
Abus Combiflex 2503 has doen the job so far (famous last words) less than 100g, 120cm cable and 4 digits

I used to carry one of those and probably used it on to to three times. But then the digits suddenly refused to turn. Luckily this was when I was about the lock the bike and not when I was trying to unlock it!

I now carry a much better quality combination lock. Not much heavier than the Abus Combiflex but much more secure and reliable. I've been using it for quite a few years now.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 19 July, 2019, 04:01:53 pm »
From what I've read, the major purpose of locking your bike at controls on PBP is so that it doesn't get moved when you're not looking, so you don't waste time trying to find it.  Pretty much anything should work for that.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #6 on: 19 July, 2019, 04:46:55 pm »
There are 5000 bikes so you will hear stories about thefts

The only time I felt a bit dubious about my crap, tiny micro lock was when shopping in Paris before the event.  I think we took it in turns to sit with the bikes outside the shop

During the event they are fairly good on security at controls and if you stop in a tiny village somewhere then the risk is pretty low

« Reply #7 on: 19 July, 2019, 05:20:43 pm »
Abus frame lock (aka "nurse lock" )
I've got one on each of my bikes except the Hetchins

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8 on: 19 July, 2019, 05:27:54 pm »
Didn't use anything at controls in 2007 or 2015, not even when sleeping at Loudeac.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #9 on: 19 July, 2019, 08:20:06 pm »
I didn't use anything last time.  But a thief would've been hard-pressed to not be noticed, given the bike I was riding  :P

I usually take a caravan brake-release cable with a padlock — it's a little tougher than the Abus 4-digit, and in red, but doesn't weigh much more because of that.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #10 on: 19 July, 2019, 10:49:45 pm »
5x ridden PBP, and never used (or brought) a lock of any sorts. Of corse the thought was always in my head that it *might* get nicked... But never has happened. Seems to be an unspoken respect on PBP in particular. For my 6th PBP, I am most certainly not carrying a lock with me.

« Reply #11 on: 19 July, 2019, 11:06:13 pm »
I'm planning to carry a small lock. I'm not terribly concerned about at controls, but it seems sensible for supermarkets etc.

« Reply #12 on: 19 July, 2019, 11:46:02 pm »
Used an Abus 1150 for PBP/LEL in the past. More for when stopping away from controls.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #13 on: 20 July, 2019, 12:55:20 am »
Sometimes the weight of the lock (arrowed) doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things...

8)

« Reply #14 on: 20 July, 2019, 02:20:31 am »
Well, certainly not compared to the weight of the lump hammer required for percussive maintenance of the gentleman's conveyance ...

« Reply #15 on: 20 July, 2019, 07:23:56 am »
Pah! Fake news if ever I heard it.

The lump hammer was provided by a willing (if somewhat perplexed) member of the public.

« Reply #16 on: 20 July, 2019, 07:36:16 am »
I use a frame lock which is standard bolted to my frame. No need to rummage through my bags to find it.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #17 on: 21 July, 2019, 05:25:59 pm »
Thanks all. Think I'll stick with my standard lightweight cafe locks as per most audax rides.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #18 on: 30 July, 2019, 08:31:26 pm »
Pah! Fake news if ever I heard it.

The lump hammer was provided by a willing (if somewhat perplexed) member of the public.

Don't mention the lump hammer.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #19 on: 31 July, 2019, 09:01:33 am »
I thought Lumphammer was a town in Norway until I discovered Jägermeister.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #20 on: 31 July, 2019, 04:08:56 pm »
I don't remember ever bothering with a lock on the ride itself, but a cheap cafe lock saved my bike when eating and drinking in a restaurant after registration but before the ride in 2015. Someone attempted to break the lock (unsuccessfully) and we had to borrow cutters to remove the remnants.
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #21 on: 31 July, 2019, 04:19:05 pm »
Interested in this, as I'm looking for new 'cafe' lock, since my small 'oxford' 1.5m combn lock died.  Found I couldn't undo it post coffee stop, after 10 mins I, ahem, spat on it, and moved the lock rings quickly to lubricate - which did the trick. Thankfully.

I use a frame lock which is standard bolted to my frame. No need to rummage through my bags to find it.

I think our insurance policy states - needs to be locked to an 'immoveable' object .... 

edit.  went for this 'cafe lock' ~150g *

IMG_20190803 by ao, on Flickr

* I'm not doing PBP

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #22 on: 31 July, 2019, 04:24:59 pm »
I think our insurance policy states - needs to be locked to an 'immoveable' object ...

It'll probably also state a level of lock required which is likely to be twice the weight of your bike and impossible to carry sensibly.

« Reply #23 on: 31 July, 2019, 04:27:44 pm »
I think our insurance policy states - needs to be locked to an 'immoveable' object ...

It'll probably also state a level of lock required which is likely to be twice the weight of your bike and impossible to carry sensibly.

edit.  just 'locked to a fixed object'  No lock standard mentioned AFAIA.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #24 on: 31 July, 2019, 04:48:50 pm »
If you’re with pedalcover there is no standard, which is very useful.