Author Topic: What Torque Wrench?  (Read 14047 times)

What Torque Wrench?
« on: 30 July, 2008, 01:32:12 pm »
Wiggle have a Park Tool that looks different to the one Pumpe posted about ( BBB ).

I have carbon lovliness but also an increasing amount of light weight aluminium that has torque settings to stay within.

Which torque wrench for me?

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Re: Which torque wrench?
« Reply #1 on: 30 July, 2008, 01:34:36 pm »
Wiggle have a Park Tool that looks like this:  [img=http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Park_Tools_Torque_Wrench/5300005844/[/img]

however that one is not like the one Pumpe linked too.

I have carbon lovliness but also an increasing amount of light weight aluminium that has torque settings to stay within.

Nobert one supposed to be amazing, I'd just get the halfords one as that seem to get good right ups.

« Reply #2 on: 30 July, 2008, 01:44:49 pm »
More important than the torque wrench is ensuring that nuts and bolts are clean and lubricated to go on smoothly, so that you don't get a false reading due to 'stiction'.

« Reply #3 on: 30 July, 2008, 01:52:32 pm »
More important than the torque wrench is ensuring that nuts and bolts are clean and lubricated to go on smoothly, so that you don't get a false reading due to 'stiction'.

Yep, agree with the above :thumbsup:

What about this one from Screwfix.  A bit cheaper and has a good range.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #4 on: 30 July, 2008, 02:01:10 pm »
Ah we can commence the discussion reguarding a clean thread and a lubricated thread.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #5 on: 30 July, 2008, 02:02:54 pm »

What about this one from Screwfix.  A bit cheaper and has a good range.

Does it come with a calibration certificate?  Better not to skimp on something as importatant as torque wrench.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #6 on: 30 July, 2008, 02:31:54 pm »
Wiggle have a Park Tool that looks like this:  [img=http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Park_Tools_Torque_Wrench/5300005844/[/img]

however that one is not like the one Pumpe linked too.

I have that Park torque wrench and I've never used it even though I too own carbon loveliness. I'll sell it to you if you want - £20?
a great mind thinks alike

« Reply #7 on: 30 July, 2008, 02:45:21 pm »
I have the Screwfix version already.  Got it free with my re-subscription to CycleSport mag.
But, I don't think it works.
I shall take it into the LBS and see if he can get it to work.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #8 on: 30 July, 2008, 02:51:37 pm »
May I humbly direct your attention to a similar topic on another forum, where this was discussed?
Clicky
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #9 on: 30 July, 2008, 03:12:07 pm »
Just make sure you get one that works in both directions!
I've got one like this!
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #10 on: 30 July, 2008, 03:25:57 pm »

Indeed. You don't want to over-loosen your nuts.

...er...

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #11 on: 30 July, 2008, 03:26:39 pm »
I have the Screwfix version already.  Got it free with my re-subscription to CycleSport mag.
But, I don't think it works.
I shall take it into the LBS and see if he can get it to work.

Checking is quite expensive, around £25-£35 and it may not be adjustable to bring it back into calibration.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #12 on: 30 July, 2008, 03:27:39 pm »

...er...

NEVER USE A TORQUE WRENCH TO LOSSEN NUTS use a breaker bar

Should be used for differing direction threads

« Reply #13 on: 30 July, 2008, 07:40:33 pm »
I know it is the click when tension reached type, but that is my point, I can't get that bit to work to my satisfaction before I use it in anger on the carbon bling bits.  I will get the LBS to test it on some old steel hack of an MTB he will have out the back.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #14 on: 31 July, 2008, 01:37:11 pm »

...er...
For those (admittedly rare) situations when you need to do up a left-hand-thread nut to the right (or should that be left? :)) torque.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #15 on: 31 July, 2008, 01:42:20 pm »
I know it is the click when tension reached type, but that is my point, I can't get that bit to work to my satisfaction before I use it in anger on the carbon bling bits.  I will get the LBS to test it on some old steel hack of an MTB he will have out the back.

You in London?  Just had mine checked and were found to be within 2% over all. So you can compare against mine.

« Reply #16 on: 31 July, 2008, 02:28:55 pm »
No, deepest darkest carrot crunching moon raking Wiltshire.
Thanks for the offer though.

« Reply #17 on: 31 July, 2008, 03:09:52 pm »

Sledge hammer does me fine.

« Reply #18 on: 31 July, 2008, 03:11:55 pm »

Yes, well, they're okay so long as they're calibrated properly.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #19 on: 31 July, 2008, 03:21:47 pm »

Are  you perter gabriel.

« Reply #20 on: 27 March, 2010, 09:05:25 pm »
What about this one, at the lower end of the price scale, for the upper end of the torque range used for bikes?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DRAPER-3-8-ADJUSTABLE-REVERSIBLE-RATCHET-TORQUE-WRENCH_W0QQitemZ400081231732QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Hand_Tools_Equipment?hash=item5d26b31f74

10 - 80 Nm seems quite a useful range. I already have a small TW for lighter stuff.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #21 on: 27 March, 2010, 09:19:17 pm »

What about this one from Screwfix.  A bit cheaper and has a good range.

far too heavyweight for anything on a bike except crank bolts maybe.

What about this one, at the lower end of the price scale, for the upper end of the torque range used for bikes?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DRAPER-3-8-ADJUSTABLE-REVERSIBLE-RATCHET-TORQUE-WRENCH_W0QQitemZ400081231732QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Hand_Tools_Equipment?hash=item5d26b31f74

10 - 80 Nm seems quite a useful range. I already have a small TW for lighter stuff.

again 10Nm still a bit heavy unless like you say you've got a lighter one like you have.

Most things on carbon bikes have to be the same torque, i.e. about 5 or 6Nm, so consider the pre-set one that Ritchey do:
 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

only problem might be is if you've got things which don't take an M4 bit, whether you can change it or not i don't know, but most seat posts and stem bolts are 4mm I think.

« Reply #22 on: 27 March, 2010, 09:21:43 pm »
This is for things like cranks.

« Reply #23 on: 27 March, 2010, 09:52:19 pm »
There is always this one from Chain Reaction Cycles

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #24 on: 27 March, 2010, 09:58:42 pm »
The only things for which I use a torque wrench on a bike are Sturmey-Archer axle nuts.  These are made of a soft white metal, and designed to strip before the more expensive (and hard to replace) axle.  I only use 20Nm on them.

On a car I use a torque wrench (two different ones, actually) for spark plugs (it's v.easy to strip cylinder heads) and wheel nuts (mainly to ensure even pressure on the brake disc).

I can't remember the last time I stripped a bolt or had anything come undone on the road.  Years of working with BSOs gives you a feel for when a thread is tight enough, and what different materials will take.

The bolts on stems work pretty well with the "finger tight using the wrong end (less leverage) of the allen key, then half a turn" method.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.