Author Topic: Random Airline Food Combinations  (Read 5893 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Random Airline Food Combinations
« Reply #25 on: 28 June, 2019, 02:56:10 pm »
The good thing about NOT being a foodie is being able to consume any offering without a grumble...

« Reply #26 on: 28 June, 2019, 11:01:30 pm »
The good thing about being greedy is being able to eat anything without caring if you grumble.

ian

« Reply #27 on: 01 July, 2019, 10:00:13 am »
I'll be flying premium to NYC in a couple of weeks – I hate premium because it's the vague promise of more that never delivers. You're paying a couple of hundred quid for what is effectively disappointment. You basically get first dibs on the chicken or pasta and they don't snarl quite as much as if you order a second G&T. I wouldn't bother but my wife has longer legs than me and six hours of her griping about leg room (I think you get an entire inch extra in premium) won't elevate my airborne experience. I'm still getting it in the neck from when I put her in economy back from KL last year. It's not my fault I'm in business, dear.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #28 on: 01 July, 2019, 07:29:19 pm »
TBH, it's a bit academic how good the food is when the humidity (or rather, the lack thereof) and air pressure in a passenger aircraft at cruising altitude is playing havoc with your taste buds and sinuses so you can't taste it properly anyway.
And the air is full of low pressure farts.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #29 on: 01 July, 2019, 08:40:53 pm »
But at least your sense of smell is affected too!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #30 on: 01 July, 2019, 08:42:01 pm »
Sudden realisation that I haven't been on a plane since they were a metal tube full of recycled smoking.  As with pubs, if you can smell the farts, you're winning.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #31 on: 01 July, 2019, 11:12:59 pm »
That prompted to try to find out when smoking was banned on planes. Apparently the last airline to ban smoking on all flights was Cubana in 2014. Or possibly even still allowed on Royal Air Maroc (according to two comments). https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea.com/2017/08/10/smoking-on-airplanes/
Interesting opinion here:"Philosophically, I think nonsmokers have rights, but it comes into market conflict with practicalities and the realities of life." Dan McKinnon, chairman of the Civil Aeronautics Board, 1984.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflight_smoking#cite_note-ssbbop-7
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #32 on: 02 July, 2019, 09:43:38 am »
Blimey, smoking on planes. When precisely did that seem like a good idea?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #33 on: 02 July, 2019, 09:54:30 am »
When consumer and Big Tobacco demands trumped common sense.

When I was a junior doctor, we kept folk with Nasty Chest Infections in hospital until they were well enough to smoke in the day room...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #34 on: 02 July, 2019, 10:17:31 am »
When my grandfather was a surgeon, he took up smoking precisely because it seemed a good idea to do what all the other consultants did in their staff room. But he decided on a pipe, and found it took so long to get the thing filled, lit and piping properly that he'd inevitably be called away to a patient before it was going properly. So he gave it up.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #35 on: 02 July, 2019, 12:40:35 pm »
I have read that in the days of smoking on æroplanes the cabin air throughput was sufficiently higher than it is today that the stale fag-fug actually contained less airborne gunge than today's blend of paraffin and duty-free stinkenwasser.  This may, of course, be Utter Bollocks.

Anyway, my pastrami and cheddar sarnies went down a treat and didn't leave too many crumbs on the floor of Mr Logan's shiny Saab 2000.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #36 on: 03 July, 2019, 10:50:51 am »
Blimey, smoking on planes. When precisely did that seem like a good idea?
I flew to Madrid in 2001 or 2002.
Smoking was permitted on the plane.
Spanish airline.

ian

« Reply #37 on: 03 July, 2019, 11:23:58 am »
Hmm, I first started flying in what must have been the mid-90s, I can't recall any smoking flights, though that was predominantly transatlantic and US/Canada domestic.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #38 on: 03 July, 2019, 11:57:00 am »
Iberia were one of the last to ban smoking on all flights.

« Reply #39 on: 03 July, 2019, 09:45:31 pm »
Hmm, I first started flying in what must have been the mid-90s, I can't recall any smoking flights, though that was predominantly transatlantic and US/Canada domestic.

10 years before that and you’d have experienced it. The curtain between smoking and non-smoking wasn’t very effective.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #40 on: 03 July, 2019, 10:01:50 pm »
Iberia were one of the last to ban smoking on all flights.
Likely as not, it was prolly Iberia that I flew with in 2001 / 2002