Author Topic: replacement tiller, options?  (Read 1697 times)

replacement tiller, options?
« on: 23 October, 2018, 06:49:03 pm »
Anyone have any thoughts on replacement tillers?

The original tiller on my Seiran may as well be made of cheese so I'm going to replace it in the next few weeks.  The bike has a 1" threaded steerer and uses an expanding nut to achieve the required tightness on the headset bearings, enough of the steer is poking through to allow the use of an ahead style tiller instead.

Nazca have tillers for 1" steerers on their webshop, both look like decent bits of kit. Anyone have any experience of them or other recommendations for other manufacturers?

Re: replacement tiller, options?
« Reply #1 on: 24 October, 2018, 09:44:18 am »
I’ve just spotted an error in the above description:

It isn’t a threaded headset but a 1” threadless headset.  The current tiller uses a quill arrangement though I have enough steerer poking through to allow the use of a tiller with an ahead type fitting.  Bearing fit is achieved by an expanding nut rather than a star nut and cap.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #2 on: 24 October, 2018, 12:52:58 pm »
Drop Christine at Performer an email.  They have a few different types IIRC, both of mine fit over the steerer tube and clamp with a couple of pinch bolts.  They do tillers with either external or internal cabling.  She quoted me $80 ish (I think..) for a tiller with slots for internal cabling for my SAKI 700c high racer.  Delivery will probably be a couple of weeks via DHL or similar.

« Reply #3 on: 25 October, 2018, 09:42:18 pm »
The Nazca one on my Fuego is very impressive, stainless steel and alloy. The pivot bearing is sturdy and play-free. Is the 1” version not for a threaded steerer, though? You could shim the 1.1/8” tiller I suppose but I’m not sure I would feel comfortable with that myself.