Author Topic: [HAMR] Current thoughts on the record attempt?  (Read 252748 times)

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
Re: Current thoughts on the record attempt?
« Reply #1875 on: 10 January, 2016, 02:33:02 pm »

The fact that exceeding the record remains within Steve’s reach and capability means that this thread has a long way to go.

Absolutely - and so does Steve.

It just seems to me that many on this sub-board are keen to write his attempt off. Threads on his days are tinged with posts of "Only xxx miles well that was not enough" and "I can't see how he can do this based on that" or " I would have thought he should have been managing...."

While lots of us here have spent a lot of time on the what-ifs, I don’t think even the most negative of posters has suggested that there is any self-doubt on Steve’s part.

Perhaps not and to be honest I have not read everything posted but I am sick of reading posts with a theme around damning his efforts with feint praise or even suggesting that he is in some way in denial (for example).

FFS people, if you cannot support his attempt, fuck off and whimper elsewhere.

H

« Reply #1876 on: 10 January, 2016, 02:36:11 pm »
While lots of us here have spent a lot of time on the what-ifs, I don’t

The fact that exceeding the record remains within Steve’s reach and capability means that this thread has a long way to go.

Yes indeed, and I look forward to reading views from all of you

Encouraging last couple of days, but the record still looks too big an ask to me.

Yesterday Steve started at about 9.30am and it took him to past midnight to ride under 200 miles - 30 short of what's required.

He's made another post 9am start today, and I think it's good he may be establishing a daily rhythm.

But it's hard to see where the desperately needed miles above 200 are going to come from.

« Reply #1877 on: 10 January, 2016, 02:58:29 pm »
I think people are missing a point that Steve's projected monthly mileage are averages for the given month, rather than sudden step changes occurring at the 1st of each month....we're in early January - give him a chance and be supportive rather than writing his attempt off....I share Hummer's view on this :thumbsup:
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1878 on: 10 January, 2016, 03:25:32 pm »
Perhaps not and to be honest I have not read everything posted but I am sick of reading posts with a theme around damning his efforts with feint praise or even suggesting that he is in some way in denial (for example).

FFS people, if you cannot support his attempt, fuck off and whimper elsewhere.

H
Amen to that, Brother H.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1879 on: 10 January, 2016, 03:32:52 pm »
I read that as

FFS people, if you cannot support analyse his attempt in any way, fuck off and whimper elsewhere.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #1880 on: 10 January, 2016, 03:35:45 pm »
There has indeed been lots of analysis and the upshot of it all is, whether you like it or not, that it’s far too early for anyone to write off the attempt, and it it will stay too early for quite some time.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1881 on: 10 January, 2016, 03:36:49 pm »
Let us know when you think it is the right time to start analysing Steve's attempt again.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

red marley

« Reply #1882 on: 10 January, 2016, 03:59:30 pm »
After way too many pages of pointless bickering, these pages were beginning to calm down again. It would be nice if they could stay as thoughts on the record attempt rather than thoughts on the attitude of other posters on this thread.

« Reply #1883 on: 10 January, 2016, 04:18:12 pm »
After way too many pages of pointless bickering, these pages were beginning to calm down again. It would be nice if they could stay as thoughts on the record attempt rather than thoughts on the attitude of other posters on this thread.

But Jo, that takes a maturity to accept the thoughts of other people as an acceptable offering in an open forum.
If you don't like other peoples's thought's [and lets face it, most of us don't in some shape or form], then you can disagree [I'm sure we'd all agree that's perfectly fine, that's the kind of stuff that goes in forums isn't it?], but why resort to personal attacks? You don't like it? - sorry, that's too bad.

Correct me if I'm wrong [and I'd appreciate a reference] but I cannot remember one post from anybody that is negative towards Steve as a person or in any way nasty and unkind, I cannot believe it's in evidence here, most people either know him personally of have cycled with him in some shape or form over the years [for much, much longer than me as well]........but the fact remains, people do have strong feelings about how things have/are panning out for him. And for some, its runs much deeper than others.

If you don't like the thread, and it's contents - don't read it. And if you don't like what's written - deal with it. I still can't understand why some people would resort to person attacks just because they don't like what's been written.

Steve will do his stuff anyway, regardless. And support him whole heartedly. But I also have 'current thoughts'...sorry, I just do.
Garry Broad

« Reply #1884 on: 10 January, 2016, 04:27:40 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong [and I'd appreciate a reference] but I cannot remember one post from anybody that is negative towards Steve as a person or in any way nasty and unkind, I cannot believe it's in evidence here, most people either know him of have cycled with him in some shape or form over the years [for much, much longer than me mostly]........but the fact remains, people do have strong feelings about how things have/are panning out for him. And for some, its runs deeper than others.

If you don't like the thread, and it's contents - don't read it. And if you don't like what's written - deal with it. I still can't understand why some people would resort to person attacks just because they don't like what's been written.

Indeed.  The only personal attacks here have come from Steve's self-proclaimed "friends" barging in and telling people to fuck off.

I think Steve deserves better to be honest.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #1885 on: 10 January, 2016, 04:39:55 pm »
One of the pleasures of marshalling a Espley on the Mersey Roads is being able to tell the rider's teams how their lad or lass is doing. The 100 mile sheets give an idea of progress, as do the 12 hours. It's possible to collate your own information, but easiest to ask a marshal or timekeeper.
You can tell who's gone off too fast and who's struggled during the night. Those of us from that tradition don't feel the need to micro-analyse performance, but to look at the trends. We also accept that there's more to the event than the winner, or a possible record.
How's Steve doing, and what will he do? are legitimate questions at the Mersey. But that's within the context of a sealed system, you just ride the 24.
This Year is unique because the resources to achieve it are dependent on the attention it commands while it's underway, and that's an ongoing thing. The various information streams are part of that. It's fascinating to see how the components of the connected whole fit together. Questioning whether Steve can get the record undermines the cottage industry that's built up around him.

But Steve is still the centre of this, and it's the Steve we used to expect to come past Espley at 1 hour intervals throughout the night, and LWAB and HK are still the people we can expect to get a cup of coffee off.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1886 on: 10 January, 2016, 04:43:22 pm »
Since the team gave us a new schedule with which to measure Steve's progress based on what's been achieved and what remains to be done, I'll withhold comment on that until the first significant waypoint on the 2016 calendar, which will be the end of this month. But I won't accede to any pressure to not comment unless it's along the lines of 'all's well in this, the best of all possible worlds'. It's obvious that Steve is facing a harder daily target than is ideal, and a month or so ago the incorrect impression was given by the team that his health was far from great, which prompted a lot of concerned - and perfectly appropriate - discussion.

I sincerely hope Steve can do it, but I'd be kidding myself if I didn't feel that things are not going as well as they should.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #1887 on: 10 January, 2016, 05:17:02 pm »
I think this thread is actually really good. Both in terms of the subject - the magnificent and ongoing prodigious, awe inspiring effort, and the considered opinions expressed. It is the most genuinely interesting thread on YACF by a few thousand miles.
Unless I am completely mistaken all those commenting are cyclists with some experience of audax and most if not all have at some point ridden with Steve on various events over the years, and actively support him. It isn't tabloid or typical internet rubbish.
It is a thread about thoughts on the attempt not just a cheerleading thread. Some might wish otherwise and see thoughts outside applause as disloyal or undermining. Probably best for them to avoid the thread then and just post Go Steve.
The analysis here is pretty level headed, the conclusions and opinions intelligent.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1888 on: 10 January, 2016, 05:38:57 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong [and I'd appreciate a reference] but I cannot remember one post from anybody that is negative towards Steve as a person or in any way nasty and unkind, I cannot believe it's in evidence here, most people either know him of have cycled with him in some shape or form over the years [for much, much longer than me mostly]........but the fact remains, people do have strong feelings about how things have/are panning out for him. And for some, its runs deeper than others.

Indeed.  The only personal attacks here have come from Steve's self-proclaimed "friends" barging in and telling people to fuck off.

You should go read page 67 again.
It is simpler than it looks.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #1889 on: 10 January, 2016, 05:55:40 pm »
Allez Steve!

You've got my support.
Embrace your inner Fred.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1890 on: 10 January, 2016, 06:11:16 pm »
... most people either know him personally of have cycled with him in some shape or form over the years [for much, much longer than me as well]
"most" being pretty key here.

Very different to all.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

TimC

« Reply #1891 on: 10 January, 2016, 06:25:21 pm »
... most people either know him personally of have cycled with him in some shape or form over the years [for much, much longer than me as well]

Very different to all.

Are you suggesting that we have to know Steve personally before we can comment? Is that a standard we aim to apply to every thread?

« Reply #1892 on: 10 January, 2016, 06:31:58 pm »
I was looking up Nim Carline on the net. He was a great 24 Hour rider, and Beryl Burton's employer. He used to go mountaineering with his friend Bob Maitland. Bob was in the 1948 Olympic Road Race, he finished 6th, and Britain was second team, so Bob got a Silver Medal. He died in France following a collapse in the main hall at the Semaine Federale at Verdun in 2010. Heather had crossed paths with him a few times the previous day, as he had little idea how to use a GPS.
It's interesting to wonder what might have happened if Bob had lived a couple of more years. The other Tommy Godwin might not have come to notice again. I looked for a film of the 1948 Road Race, and came up with a very good quality colour film, showing Bob in his prime, one for the Solihull CC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPkCQU8qKqo

« Reply #1893 on: 10 January, 2016, 06:38:36 pm »
Also remember that Steve's daily/monthy mileages are based on a target of 77,149.5 miles. That's 1073.5 miles further than Kurt went (caveat validation, for both).

Steve can use those 1000 miles as wiggle room for complete days missed, or just falling short of the daily target slightly,. whatever. Over the 219 days (since early Jan) it means he can ride, on average, about 4.9 miles short of his daily target(s) and still take the record.

Not suggesting he does, just he could.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1894 on: 10 January, 2016, 06:46:37 pm »

Very different to all.

Are you suggesting that we have to know Steve personally before we can comment? Is that a standard we aim to apply to every thread?
Not at all. Perhaps I should have quoted Von Broad's whole post ... To paraphrase:

He was saying that noone would post unkindly about Steve cos MOST know him and/or have ridden with him a fair bit.

Hence my reply. Hopefully that's clearer?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

TimC

« Reply #1895 on: 10 January, 2016, 07:18:43 pm »

Very different to all.

Not at all. Perhaps I should have quoted Von Broad's whole post ... To paraphrase:

He was saying that noone would post unkindly about Steve cos MOST know him and/or have ridden with him a fair bit.

Well, kind of. But I think that the criterion of knowing Steve is a red herring anyway. We are all observers, and we are all able to form opinions based on the data placed in the public domain. The accuracy of those opinions will be variable - they're opinions, FFS, and everyone's entitled to one and this is the place to express them. Opinions are divisive; if they weren't, there'd be no point in them. We could, of course, start another forum that Steve doesn't have access to and discuss the HAM'R challenge in pseudo-privacy, but I hardly think that's necessary or desirable.

The challenge is to allow others to have opinions that differ markedly from yours without taking it personally, or doing so on someone else's behalf, or responding with the intent to give offence. Something which we are generally quite good at on this forum, though the excellence occasionally lapses.

It's a discussion, not a negotiation. We aren't intending or attempting to arrive at a consensus.

« Reply #1896 on: 10 January, 2016, 07:53:37 pm »

Posted by: Exit Stage Left: Today at 06:31:58 pm 

I was looking up Nim Carline on the net. He was a great 24 Hour rider, and Beryl Burton's employer. He used to go mountaineering with his friend Bob Maitland.

See Yorkshire Post obituary for Norman (Nim) Carline, he cycled to the Himalayas with his friend Bob Metcalfe.   I was a friend of Nim and as far as I am aware he never went mountaineering with Bob Maitland. 

« Reply #1897 on: 10 January, 2016, 08:00:14 pm »

Very different to all.

Please Mattc.....leaving semantics aside, I think you know what I was saying.
To paraphrase, and I'd prefer to paraphrase my own posts. ......posters here are not anti-Steve......it's insulting to think otherwise - weather 'most' or 'all', I'd be interested to see such personal defamation of any kind. People might not always not like what is posted [which is probably most of us to some point, isn't it?], but that's going to happen in a pubic forum such as this sometimes.
If this is not acceptable then the thread and sub-board should be closed down in the name of public excellence.

God forbid.
Garry Broad

« Reply #1898 on: 10 January, 2016, 08:12:25 pm »
The challenge is to allow others to have opinions that differ markedly from yours without taking it personally, or doing so on someone else's behalf, or responding with the intent to give offence. Something which we are generally quite good at on this forum, though the excellence occasionally lapses.

I agree with this Tim though from page 25 or so of this thread such excellence has been markedly absent from a very small minority of very aggressively vociferous individuals.   I happen to think that there is an ongoing attempt to undermine Steve's record attempt but then, these are just my opinions.   Funny though, whenever I voice it, I get rounded on and sniped at by the thread bullies.

Blimey, just looked at the posts on the latter part of this thread.

I suppose the thread title prompts people to air their personal opinions but I can't help feeling what has been posted says more about the posters than it does about Steve's attempt.

Allez Steve!

May good luck and good days awheel be enjoyed in 2016, whatever the outcome of this epic challenge.

H

My sentiments exactly and similarly stated earlier in this thread.   

I note with some curiosity that H has not been flamed for stating his opinions.   

You should go read page 67 again.

Actually, the lack of excellence began about 53 or so pages back IMO which is also only one month ago but it's been regularly unpleasant in here since about then.   It took about 8 months to get ot 23 pages then one month to 76, and counting.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #1899 on: 10 January, 2016, 08:14:53 pm »
Wasn't it Hummers' turn last year to be BBQ'd, surely a man needs a year off.