Author Topic: Saddleworth Rides Sun July 14th  (Read 2960 times)

JayP

• You must be joking
Re: Saddleworth Rides Sun July 14th
« Reply #25 on: 15 July, 2013, 07:56:56 pm »
Yes, it was a good day out and thanks very much, Don.  I was a bit tired when I got in so I thought I must have mis-heard when you mentioned the easterly wind on the way back!  Who told you that, one of the racing whippets?  Believe me, for those on the VFM ride it was a westerly, oh yes!
+1 to that although I didn't really notice the wind in the last 50km. You probably needed to be going faster than 12 kph  :)
Quite a bit harder than I had expected but a terrific ride never-the-less with many elevating (in every sense) moments.
I'm thinking in particular of when I learnt the meaning of the word 'Wainstalls' - heard on several occasions during the day being spoken in hushed reverential tones. :o
I'm Knackered today and I'm going to need the planned two week lay off before LEL.

« Reply #26 on: 15 July, 2013, 08:09:39 pm »
It was great riding with you, as ever, JayP.  As for Wainstalls, I got buzzed by some scallies coming down too wide, just after the first bit and then stopped by the police car that was chasing them!

Enjoy your break (I know I will)  and we'll all meet again at Eskdalemuir!

Peter

« Reply #27 on: 15 July, 2013, 08:21:08 pm »
As ever, the "Voice o' Doom"*, I didn't have a good day out and I ended up packing at Mount Tabor and going into Halifax to get the train home.
I'd started getting cramp everytime the road steepened after Bingley; I walked part of the climb to Manywells Height and again going up Sunny Bank after Oxenhope.
I'm sure it (the cramp) was partly down to dehydration although I'd kept drinking through the day and, lots of the time, my stomach felt full of liquid. I was using electrolyte tablets as well as plain water; I was carrying one bottle of each.
If I'd been a little more aware of the topography, I would have gone into Sowerby Bridge (down from Mount Tabor) and then tried the climb up to the M62 but I was worried that there was a valley in between that I'd get stuck in with no 'phone reception so I wouldn't be able to call for help or let Don know that I wouldn't be returning to Denshaw.

RRTY has suffered a set-back but I'm hoping to ride one of Memsec's perms next week to get my July ride in.
Another current plan is to HTFU and complete this ride next year. I can't promise to enjoy it mind.

Many thanks to Don for organising this and for his e-mail asking how I was. I appreciated that  :thumbsup:

*TM LMM

« Reply #28 on: 15 July, 2013, 09:59:19 pm »

I was a bit tired when I got in so I thought I must have mis-heard when you mentioned the easterly wind on the way back!  Who told you that, one of the racing whippets?  Believe me, for those on the VFM ride it was a westerly, oh yes!

Yer daft bugger, my point was I had a headwind from Ashton to Denshaw, and 'most everyone on the ride
complained of a headwind from Yorkshire to Denshaw. How 2 faced can the wind be?
Don.

« Reply #29 on: 15 July, 2013, 11:53:26 pm »
If I'm on a ride it usually faces me all the way - that's why JayP got tired, I reckon!

« Reply #30 on: 16 July, 2013, 08:10:19 pm »
Enjoyable ride again Don and nice to be riding in the warmth!  Told you that headwind coming back was a bit sharper than it seemed  ;D