Author Topic: Wessex SR 2013 - 6th April - 8th June 2013  (Read 72591 times)

Re: Wessex SR 2013 - 6th April - 8th June 2013
« Reply #450 on: 12 June, 2013, 09:49:36 pm »
Just caught up with this thread and like others have a tear in my eye as I mull over the marvellous memories of this SR series, finally over, and legs just now beginning to recover.  Am in awe of the man who designed it, and also of the authors of so many splendidly written accounts of the four rides.  Thanks especially to Sean and Drew and the many others who conspire to make these rides such gems... long may they remain hidden gems - a big part of their special nature is the small and intimate field.  The intimacy on the floor at Randonneur Heaven will remain a long cherished memory  ;)

My brief lazy summary of all four rides with links to others' accounts and photos can be found here

July 11th is looking to be a strong contender for pre-LEL briefing and training session, possibly in Pimlico, watch this space...

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #451 on: 13 June, 2013, 09:21:37 am »
Always a worry when an Ultra Randonneur says it's the hardest series he's ridden!

It certainly was a lot of hard work.  Hard Boiled and Brimstone I found tough work.  Dorset Coast I really struggled with after the previous day's riding.  Porkers was also hard, but not quite in the same league as the 300 and 600.

They were all amazing though, and I will ride them again as perms etc. I am sure.  And with the whispers of a Crackpot, well, 3 days of that terrain sounds just brilliant. 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #452 on: 13 June, 2013, 09:59:21 am »
I really enjoyed the Brimstone, and the organisation and all the helpers were top notch.

Due to my handicaps,  I struggled with all the info controls, principally because the route sheet, despite being excellent in booklet form, which was great idea, and very helpfully included individual stage elevation profiles, it didn't show ongoing distance line by line. I therefore had to navigate using the route sheet as well as the Garmin, but cognitively that was a huge strain on me. Understand that I cannot hold things in memory like normal people so without ongoing distances I can't tell what instructions I've already done and how far through the sheet I've got to. Effectively it was much like being in a job interview or examination room for most of the day and a half. I know it's a unique problem for me, but I can't help thinking that its meant to be a bike ride not a test of cognitive power....

It was an exciting ride, and I found the physical side fun, though not that hard.

Despite my unique personal issues, I'm pleased to give my hearty congratulations to Shawn!!
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #453 on: 13 June, 2013, 10:04:15 am »
They were all amazing though, and I will ride them again as perms etc. I am sure.  And with the whispers of a Crackpot, well, 3 days of that terrain sounds just brilliant.

I gave up after riding the Hardboiled

1000km of that sort of stuff would be an extreme challenge.   It wouldn't be like an ordinary audax.  It would be like climbing K2.  I say that as someone that rather enjoyed the Mille Cymru.

« Reply #454 on: 13 June, 2013, 10:19:08 am »
Thanks for all the very high-quality accounts, here and on the blogs. They reflect the quality of the Wessex Series, and of the riding. I had a great time seeing the riders through at Crockerton, and then seeing most of them again (perhaps all except Bikey-Mikey) on Sunday morning.

Many stopped for what seemed a long time at Crockerton, providing excellent company, and still left with hours in hand. The joys of being able to ride that well!

Then home to Bradford on Avon, and hours and hours of this and that, and a lot of sleep. On the way, I was refused passage through Longleat (first time in 40 years!). The very polite "heavies" at the roadblock said it was because they had a big Event* on. It may have been bigger than the Brimstone, but in no way could it possibly have been better.

On Sunday morning I got cheerily overtaken by a couple of riders, on the way to find a throng of half-a-dozen at the Nunney Catch control. The standard of still being able to speak/laugh/eat/drink/make-riding-a-bike-look-easy was still impressively high.

Then "backwards" along the route, passing (I think) everybody else. That's the only way I'm going to pass anyone! Wondered why Hummers was less far on than expected. Was able to provide some water to a few, courtesy of CET, Robert Watson, and the garage's "2 for 1" offer. Regretted having none left for Joolz and PeteMas, on one of the most difficult parts, Pete (at least) on his second very hilly 600 in a week. But again, the outwardly good shape of all the riders was very impressive indeed. I've a fair idea of how it may have felt on the inside.

Huge thanks to Shawn, and congratulations on the whole enterprise to him and everyone.

*apparently a wedding of one of Lord Bath's children

« Reply #455 on: 13 June, 2013, 10:22:29 am »
I say that as someone that rather enjoyed the Mille Cymru.

!!!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #456 on: 13 June, 2013, 10:25:42 am »
The navigation on the Wessex Series is one of it's features I think.

My hat is doffed to those who rode in the days prior to gps - it must have taken an awful lot of preparation and map research to get ready for those rides.

Even with the little annoying box of bleepiness, I got more lost on the porkers than I ever have on an audax (I screwed up and came down the wrong road into Corscombe and couldn't find the village hall at all - I spent half an hour riding up and down in the middle of the night (missing the village hall by less than a hundred metres a couple of times).

1000km of that sort of stuff would be an extreme challenge.   It wouldn't be like an ordinary audax.  It would be like climbing K2.  I say that as someone that rather enjoyed the Mille Cymru.

You're not wrong there - it would take some good prep.  Very achievable though.  That sort of steep nasty climbing for three days would put your knees through some real strain though. 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Hillbilly

« Reply #457 on: 13 June, 2013, 11:14:16 am »
Based on what I know of hilly rides around the UK, I generally found the Series a fair challenge but not a hard one.  I suspect its reputation reflected that, in the past, there was less events of a grimpy nature in the calendar (whereas now, there are quite a few rides that are in your face hilly).

I don't think any regular rider of 200km+ should approach this Series with any particular trepidation. 

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #458 on: 13 June, 2013, 12:06:20 pm »

I don't think any regular rider of 200km+ should approach this Series with any particular trepidation.

I would qualify to say:-..a regular rider, who is not averse to numerous steep climbs and descents, where care is often required on poorly-surfaced lanes.  :)
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
« Reply #459 on: 13 June, 2013, 12:14:45 pm »

I would qualify to say:-..a regular rider, who is not averse to numerous steep climbs and descents, where care is often required on poorly-surfaced lanes.  :)

+ 1

Cycling heatmap

« Reply #460 on: 13 June, 2013, 02:30:30 pm »
Bikey Mikey, there are some of us who are not as cognitively impaired that find info controls a royal pain in the arse. You are not alone on that one. I would not shed one tear if they vanished from Audax.

Excellent write ups peeps. I can't believe how fresh a lot of you looked at Malmesbury, fair play.

« Reply #461 on: 14 June, 2013, 12:16:58 am »
Thanks to all who helped me get round Brimstone last weekend.  After a rough Porkers, it was very enjoyable; and made more so by the excellent company throughout - http://www.flickr.com/photos/tyddles/sets/72157634114267734/

Thanks especially to Shawn and his team for organising one of the highlights of the year.

If any of you still need a leg up to get your WSR, let me know: I have a blank Porkers sized space in the first weekend in July

Hillbilly

« Reply #462 on: 14 June, 2013, 02:16:16 pm »
I would not shed one tear if they vanished from Audax.

I would, because infos mean the Wessex SR can run as intended by Shawn.  They kept the distance to pretty much bang on the headline distance (600, 400 etc) and allows the route to visit some interesting places in the back of beyond, rather than relying on diverting to a village. 

Yes, they are contrived and break up the flow of the ride, but the online calendar now states in the description how many infos are used (and so riders can vote with their feet, if infos are an issue).

Hillbilly

« Reply #463 on: 14 June, 2013, 02:18:49 pm »
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tyddles/sets/72157634114267734/

That's me kipping at the end of the ride in an AUK top.  Being able to sleep on a slender pub bench (whilst sober) is an advanced audax skill only achievable by the highly trained  :)

Note the considered use of the arm to block out the direct sunlight.  That also looks like my body saying "what the fuck have you just done to me".

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #464 on: 14 June, 2013, 02:44:55 pm »
I believe the 3D was suspended this year (as there was a Wessex 300k in the shape of the Hardboiled) but hopefully will resurface in the future.

It is a cracking ride and very different in character to the Hardboiled.

H

« Reply #465 on: 14 June, 2013, 02:56:20 pm »
Thanks to all who helped me get round Brimstone last weekend.  After a rough Porkers, it was very enjoyable; and made more so by the excellent company throughout - http://www.flickr.com/photos/tyddles/sets/72157634114267734/

Thanks especially to Shawn and his team for organising one of the highlights of the year.

If any of you still need a leg up to get your WSR, let me know: I have a blank Porkers sized space in the first weekend in July

Nice Picts Tyddles!!! Really captured the spirit of the ride!!!
All thanks to Drayton Hill (and al the others), I've now worn through  set of front chainrings, cassette and chain!!
First time I've worn out chainrings in a long time!

It was a stunning ride, and I believe perhaps the best weather I can ever remember over the course of 13 years since I first completed the Brimstone!
The hospitality at Tor Hole was (and has always been) really fantastic!!
Special thanks to Shawn and all for keeping this going!

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
« Reply #466 on: 14 June, 2013, 06:36:39 pm »
I would not shed one tear if they vanished from Audax.

I would, because infos mean the Wessex SR can run as intended by Shawn.  They kept the distance to pretty much bang on the headline distance (600, 400 etc) and allows the route to visit some interesting places in the back of beyond, rather than relying on diverting to a village. 

Yes, they are contrived and break up the flow of the ride, but the online calendar now states in the description how many infos are used (and so riders can vote with their feet, if infos are an issue).

Aye, I knew they were there and did it anyway, cos I like to push myself, as you probably already know....   O:-)

Agreed that the infos keep the distance down, and allow you to visit interesting places, and this is also a fair point  :thumbsup:

(I'm not going to mention that my gpx record does that perfectly well too, so please ignore this comment)   :demon:

Cycling heatmap

« Reply #467 on: 16 June, 2013, 10:49:26 am »

Hi George thanks for the pics, will agree on the good company. Cheers, Henry

« Reply #468 on: 16 June, 2013, 11:38:17 am »
Just like to add my thanks to Shawn and all the helpers. Was ill in the run up and only decided to ride on lunch time friday. Glad I made the effort, despite struggling late saturday and through the night. A fair few people saw the state I was in at Drew's, but I came on strong through Sunday and had a good ride overall.

Hoping I can complete the series, after missing Dorset Coast and having a mechanical early on the Porkers.

Hi George; Due to holiday and other engagements the only weekend I have spare to attempt Porkers is 13th July.

Henry; You said you might be interested if the date works?

I ordered a hat so I am committed to the tune of £6.90.........

« Reply #469 on: 16 June, 2013, 12:50:48 pm »
Just like to add my thanks to Shawn and all the helpers. Was ill in the run up and only decided to ride on lunch time friday. Glad I made the effort, despite struggling late saturday and through the night. A fair few people saw the state I was in at Drew's, but I came on strong through Sunday and had a good ride overall.

Hoping I can complete the series, after missing Dorset Coast and having a mechanical early on the Porkers.

Hi George; Due to holiday and other engagements the only weekend I have spare to attempt Porkers is 13th July.

Well, you didn't seem to have any problems at the end in that dash to the finish! So a good recovery.

I too need to validate my hat purchase... I'd certainly like to do it. Trouble is, budget may not be there for train down to Poole and accommodation etc. If that changes I will let you know. Otherwise I'll just have to plan for the whole series next year.

Hummers

« Reply #470 on: 16 June, 2013, 01:32:35 pm »

I don't know if you are interested but Joolz and I are riding the Dorset Coast perm on the 13th.

H

« Reply #471 on: 19 June, 2013, 10:49:24 pm »
Am off to Dublin on the 2nd weekend of July.  Hope to some of you in SW1 on July 11

« Reply #472 on: 20 June, 2013, 08:06:35 pm »
Adam and myself are doing the Porkers perm, Saturday 13th July.

To save on accommodation the night before/after, we will be arriving on early trains to Poole around 9 am, so should be good to start by 10 am. Ride through to the finish on the Sunday morning. Then jump on a train home.

Anyone who would like to join is welcome.

Hummers

« Reply #473 on: 02 July, 2013, 09:06:25 am »
I think at least 3 of us have entered the DC and are meeting at the cafe by the ferry at 8am on the 13th.

Happy days p :thumbsup:

H

Hummers

« Reply #474 on: 05 July, 2013, 08:19:05 am »
Just to confirm, the ferry is the Haven cafe  by the ferry which is about 25yds from where the ferry comes in.

Unfortunately I don't think they open until 8:30  :-\

H