Author Topic: Directors' Trade Marks  (Read 2838 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Directors' Trade Marks
« on: 22 August, 2018, 11:16:01 pm »
Watching Jaws this evening. In a night scene a couple of shooting stars pass through the background, at least one of them drawn in over clouds. I've seen them in other Steven Spielberg pictures, too and wondered if they are a kind of trade mark?

Alfred Hitchcock used to have his 'anonymous' cameo appearances and this leads me to wonder what other directors have used . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Re: Directors' Trade Marks
« Reply #1 on: 22 August, 2018, 11:19:14 pm »
Doesn't Quentin Tarantino make a cameo in most of his films too?

« Reply #2 on: 22 August, 2018, 11:23:55 pm »
J. J. Abrams - lens flare.
Michael Bay - explosions, explosions, and yet moar splodey stuff!
M. Night Shyamalan - twist ending.
Edgar Wright - foreshadowing/brick jokes (set-up lines early on that lead to a punchline much later)
Martin Scorsese: starting the film in the middle/end of the story before jumping back in time.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #3 on: 22 August, 2018, 11:33:49 pm »
Doesn't Quentin Tarantino make a cameo in most of his films too?

He's also had a bit of a foot fetish and a penchant for name-checking Guy Gibson's dog in the script IYKWIM.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #4 on: 23 August, 2018, 09:14:44 am »
Spielberg / Lucas - Wilhelm Scream

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5 on: 23 August, 2018, 09:28:23 am »
Films that have the same end as the beginning. I might be imagining it, but didn’t Kevin Costner do quite a few of these?
It is simpler than it looks.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #6 on: 23 August, 2018, 10:21:49 am »
I suppose it's a fine line between 'trade mark' and 'quirk' but I'm not talking about 'style' if you get me. More the incidental background stuff that marks a particular director's work.

I'm not a film student, you could whitter on about cyclical plots or noir all day and it wouldn't mean a thing...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7 on: 24 August, 2018, 01:21:24 am »
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8 on: 24 August, 2018, 07:17:22 am »
It's too small a sample to be telling, but at least two of Michael Cimino's films include the line "you're full of shit, Stan[ley]".  Did he have a beef with Kubrick?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #9 on: 24 August, 2018, 09:08:53 am »
The Star Wars scripted one is "I have a bad feeling about this..." which is pretty much said by at least one character in every film.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #10 on: 24 August, 2018, 11:08:28 am »
Stan Lee always had a cameo in the Marvel films as a street sweeper, hot dog vendor, person on train. In a couple of cases he has also had a very minor actual partor the background character.

« Reply #11 on: 24 August, 2018, 11:19:37 am »
The other strange one was Patrick McGooghan

After the controversial ending to the Prisoner, he fled to the US where he became a producer, director and actor, including Colombo

In each episode he appeared he used the "Be seeing you"  phrase and occasionally the salute as well from the Prisoner

Just one example....

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-MPrQ2bLLc&amp;frags=pl%2Cwn" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-MPrQ2bLLc&amp;frags=pl%2Cwn</a>

« Reply #12 on: 24 August, 2018, 11:23:42 am »
how about Wes Anderson ignoring the normal 'rule of thirds' type framing (see pretty much every shot in Breaking Bad) and instead using centred subjects, symmetry and big wide angle shots.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #13 on: 24 August, 2018, 04:44:00 pm »
J. J. Abrams - lens flare.
Michael Bay - explosions, explosions, and yet moar splodey stuff!
M. Night Shyamalan - twist ending.
Edgar Wright - foreshadowing/brick jokes (set-up lines early on that lead to a punchline much later)
Martin Scorsese: starting the film in the middle/end of the story before jumping back in time.

When I think of Edgar Wright I think of comedically over-the top, and mostly unnecessary, fast cuts (that make even mundane tasks, like making a cuppa, seem like a Jet Li fight sequence).

I'm not sure if it's a trademark or not but David Lynch's "Eraserhead" and "Elephant Man" both had loud urban/industrial noise as a sound track.  I may have misremembered that but it felt like that.  Not sure if this was a theme in any of his other films. 
Note to self. I MUST watch Elephant Man again soon.  It's one of the most beautifully shot films ever.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #14 on: 25 August, 2018, 08:57:29 am »
Ridley Scott: back-lit fans turning.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #15 on: 25 August, 2018, 11:12:32 am »

When I think of Edgar Wright I think of comedically over-the top, and mostly unnecessary, fast cuts (that make even mundane tasks, like making a cuppa, seem like a Jet Li fight sequence).

The obvious Edgar Wright one in the context of this thread is appearance of/references to Cornettos.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #16 on: 06 September, 2018, 12:03:35 pm »
I'm not sure if it's a trademark or not but David Lynch's "Eraserhead" and "Elephant Man" both had loud urban/industrial noise as a sound track.  I may have misremembered that but it felt like that.  Not sure if this was a theme in any of his other films.

Partially true of "Dune" too.
Pen Pusher

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #17 on: 14 October, 2018, 09:00:31 am »
George Lucas - THX-1138 (it's even in American Graffiti)

John Landis - Ask For Babs! (last frame of every film after Animal House)

John Hughes - freeze the last frame before the credits (usually)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.