Author Topic: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2020  (Read 135284 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2018
« Reply #450 on: 22 May, 2018, 12:49:26 pm »
Posted on FB earlier today:

A friend of a friend has found a Garmin in Thornbury after checking it he thinks it may belong to someone in Chepstow,someone who has done a long ride recently to north Wales. Anybody know who this might be?PS it now* has a cracked screen.

https://twitter.com/balancingonmy_/status/998487867730087937 Possibly linked ???

I sent Graeme a message.
I think this is mine! Left on top of my car whilst I put the bike in the back.. not that I was feeling tired at the end of this fantastic event! If I could get my ride back I would be very grateful

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Good-o! So now you know who to contact  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #451 on: 23 May, 2018, 12:19:24 am »
It's always great to read people's accounts of these epic rides. Awesome ridding everyone! I was out doing a test ride of the 'This not a tour 600km' this weekend. It was great coming across some of the BCM riders. It kept my spirits up. If you saw a cyclist going the wrong way near or just after night fall as you retuned towards Kings, that might have been me. I've put a few words on the TINAT website if your interested. http://tinat.cymru/2018/05/21/600km-recon/
James, it was nice speaking to you a couple of times over the weekend. Hope the event goes well.

« Reply #452 on: 23 May, 2018, 11:26:17 am »
It was my first BCM 600. I really enjoyed the event, the organisation was excellent, I will ride it again soon.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #453 on: 24 May, 2018, 11:05:02 am »

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #454 on: 24 May, 2018, 01:07:14 pm »
Good write-up and I'm glad that you appear to have enjoyed the ride and the scenery at the same time as setting a cracking pace.

As for the BCM being "easy", well that's a matter of opinion. For some, perhaps, but these things are relative and it can be somewhat discouraging to newer riders to feel that their struggles are being viewed with contempt by old hands.  I have always found BCM challenging. On the other hand, I'd consider the London to Brighton ride as a pleasant morning spin but wouldn't for one moment want to disparage the efforts of the many who take part and drag themselves across the finishing line, having never attempted that kind of distance or terrain before.

OTOH, I am sure that you will find the Pendle 600 to be a more challenging ride. I'm not aware of anyone claiming that to be "easy".
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

whosatthewheel

« Reply #455 on: 24 May, 2018, 01:24:28 pm »
Good write-up and I'm glad that you appear to have enjoyed the ride and the scenery at the same time as setting a cracking pace.

As for the BCM being "easy", well that's a matter of opinion. For some, perhaps, but these things are relative and it can be somewhat discouraging to newer riders to feel that their struggles are being viewed with contempt by old hands.  I have always found BCM challenging. On the other hand, I'd consider the London to Brighton ride as a pleasant morning spin but wouldn't for one moment want to disparage the efforts of the many who take part and drag themselves across the finishing line, having never attempted that kind of distance or terrain before.

OTOH, I am sure that you will find the Pendle 600 to be a more challenging ride. I'm not aware of anyone claiming that to be "easy".

I agree... after the first two sections it became really hard. I think from the account it emerges quite clearly that it was a tough weekend on the bike. Someone will find it easy, I didn't, with the exception of the first 138 km.

My pace wasn't that cracking either... I believe at least 20 riders finished ahead of me, some by many hours.

I am considering next year's Pendle 600, but a lot of things need to collide for that to happen and it's a long way to June 2019.

« Reply #456 on: 24 May, 2018, 02:00:08 pm »
There are a lot of variables other than fitness that determine whether a ride is hard. Maybe you went into the red more than you think you did in the opening stages. If so, you would tire in later sections. Did you drink enough? Did you eat the right food regularly enough? When you stopped did you stop for too long? etc etc. All these things are learned through experience.

To put this into perspective, I rode more of less the same route as you, minus about 35 miles on the Saturday. I got to Dolgellau at 2pm. No sit down rests until 160 miles, just brief petrol station and supermarket raids. On the saturday and the Sunday, at no point did I feel tired at all. Average moving speed was 16mph. Heart rate zone was almost entirely Zone 2.

Often on really long rides you have to ride well within your ability, not pushing it at all, and you end up finishing faster than if you don't.  You can smash yourself to bits and only gain 10 minutes per stage on somebody who is taking it easy....That 10 minute advantage is lost when you sit down for 30 minutes in a cafe because you are knackered.

If you are in group dominated by one individual you can end up riding at their rhythm and not yours...trying too hard on hills, wasting speed on descents etc

whosatthewheel

« Reply #457 on: 24 May, 2018, 02:42:09 pm »
On the saturday and the Sunday, at no point did I feel tired at all. Average moving speed was 16mph. Heart rate zone was almost entirely Zone 2.
Not interested in your "panache free" methods...  ;D

« Reply #458 on: 24 May, 2018, 02:52:14 pm »
Overdoing it, then cracking isn't panache  ;D

I saw you do exactly the same on the Heart of England  ;) ;) ;)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #459 on: 24 May, 2018, 02:54:25 pm »
If I had stayed in Zone 2, I would never have completed any Audax ride...

« Reply #460 on: 24 May, 2018, 03:12:12 pm »

195 miles (To Beddgelert and back to Dolgellau) 7% in Z3. No time spent in Z4 or 5. Almost all ride was done with me pulling. Minimum effort on hills.

No sit-down rest. Just 2 quick feeds.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #461 on: 24 May, 2018, 03:13:14 pm »

Not learning from one's mistakes is what panache is all about...  ;D

whosatthewheel

« Reply #462 on: 24 May, 2018, 03:15:55 pm »

195 miles (To Beddgelert and back to Dolgellau) 7% in Z3. No time spent in Z4 or 5. Almost all ride was done with me pulling. Minimum effort on hills.

All I know about zones is that a travel card for zones 1-4 is quite dear!

« Reply #463 on: 24 May, 2018, 03:20:01 pm »

Not learning from one's mistakes is what panache is all about...  ;D

;D ;D ;D. Excellent!

I have occasionally ridden with a bit of sense, but lately I have always come across some fast starts... it always seems rude not to join in and borrow some speed.

Yes, but is has to be the right speed and rhythm, otherwise you end up paying it back with 50% interest later on...

« Reply #464 on: 24 May, 2018, 03:23:01 pm »

All I know about zones is that a travel card for zones 1-4 is quite dear!

It is worth finding out your max HR, then using an HRM to keep effort down on long rides.  Actually it's quite useful on all rides if you have a fitness goal such as improvement or recovery. Otherwise it's all too easy to crack on in Z3 all the time thinking you are a beast but not actually doing yourself much good.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #465 on: 24 May, 2018, 03:23:44 pm »
Yes, but is has to be the right speed and rhythm, otherwise you end up paying it back with 50% interest later on...

Never! The right speed is whatever feels right at the time... then I will deal with the consequencences of riding like a cock...  :thumbsup:

« Reply #466 on: 24 May, 2018, 03:24:48 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

Young and impetuous  ::-)

whosatthewheel

« Reply #467 on: 24 May, 2018, 03:25:56 pm »
It is worth finding out your max HR, then using an HRM to keep effort down on long rides.  Actually it's quite useful on all rides if you have a fitness goal such as improvement or recovery. Otherwise it's all too easy to crack on in Z3 all the time thinking you are a beast but not actually doing yourself much good.

Your methods are so dull... remind me TO NOT say hello when we meet again in Upton Magna... ;D ;D

whosatthewheel

« Reply #468 on: 24 May, 2018, 03:26:38 pm »
;D ;D ;D

I suspect I am about your age... if not older...  :thumbsup:

« Reply #469 on: 24 May, 2018, 03:27:00 pm »
How old are you?

whosatthewheel

« Reply #470 on: 24 May, 2018, 03:27:16 pm »

« Reply #471 on: 24 May, 2018, 03:34:23 pm »
Youngster  :P

« Reply #472 on: 24 May, 2018, 03:41:42 pm »
;D ;D ;D

Same as me.

« Reply #473 on: 24 May, 2018, 03:51:43 pm »
Senility talking..

:demon:

whosatthewheel

« Reply #474 on: 24 May, 2018, 05:14:53 pm »
thinking back, my strategy was perfect... I went off like a mad man and  made good ground on the bulge and this way when I got to Kings the second time, I could choose my spot for the night. I also hardly rode in the dark at all, maybe only the last few miles from Dolgellau to King's required the full 400 Lumens... again a bonus, as I didn't catch too much of the cold and I "enjoyed" over 6 hours in the sack. People normally have to pay money to sleep 6 hours.

Day two was never going to be easy, but frankly I couldn't care less if I finished at 2 PM or at 5 PM... finish time was never an issue, safe in the knowledge that the pub would be open by the time I got home either way.

... and I rode the Pen-Y-Pass with panache...  8)