Author Topic: Audax UK website down  (Read 5528 times)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
Audax UK website down
« on: 19 February, 2019, 10:06:33 pm »
when trying to enter the event (tomorrow) the new website seems to be down. should i wait or go to bed? :)
[image deleted]
the old website doesn't seem to be working either:

Re: Audax UK website down
« Reply #1 on: 19 February, 2019, 10:32:37 pm »
Yep, event list page looks fine, but click on any event and get 'Specified event (19-75) could not be found. Please go back and select again.'

:'(

« Reply #2 on: 19 February, 2019, 10:33:35 pm »
Going by that classy sprawl of error messages one of the key database files has gone walkies (or is corrupt).

(It also shows they're using Dapper, which is a database abstraction layer. Trying to talk to a legacy DB with a complex format through an ORM might explain why they made such a meal of getting it to work)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #3 on: 19 February, 2019, 11:01:51 pm »
Going by that classy sprawl of error messages one of the key database files has gone walkies (or is corrupt).

(It also shows they're using Dapper, which is a database abstraction layer. Trying to talk to a legacy DB with a complex format through an ORM might explain why they made such a meal of getting it to work)

A properly designed Relational database is always going to have that problem, ORM's only easy when you're just using the RDBMS to persist data for an object model... in which case an RDBMS is probably not the right persistence layer...
But hey some people think ORMs save the world and their need to understand what they're using...

Phil W

« Reply #4 on: 19 February, 2019, 11:17:18 pm »
Maybe the website needs another 50p in the meter?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 19 February, 2019, 11:26:27 pm »

Just logged in to check my results page, page loads, but I have no results. Looks like the DB backend needs a hug :(

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #6 on: 20 February, 2019, 03:19:31 am »
That's annoying. Website still down, so I can't login to buy a new pack of virtual brevets or enter the DIY I was gonna start at 3:30. Nice weather for a 200!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #7 on: 20 February, 2019, 08:50:09 am »
Please be patient.

Don't forget that AUK commissioned Charles Babbage to operate the server for the new website.  Once in a while it requires some winding to get it going again.

Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #8 on: 20 February, 2019, 09:24:17 am »
At first glance this looks quite serious.  I'm having difficulty accessing anything in a useful way, the whole filesystem is marked as read-only.  A recent data backup looks OK and maybe we'll activate our reserve server, but don't expect anything to happen instantly. 
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #9 on: 20 February, 2019, 09:24:53 am »
Please be patient.

Don't forget that AUK commissioned Charles Babbage to operate the server for the new website.  Once in a while it requires some winding to get it going again.

You are naughty.

« Reply #10 on: 20 February, 2019, 09:25:25 am »
Please be patient.

The new website is fine.  But it doesn't actually do anything other than look pretty.

I'm being told this might take a while to fix (as FF says).

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #11 on: 20 February, 2019, 09:46:02 am »

Yes, really good of the new website to expose the inner workings of the old one.  Not very graceful of them.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #12 on: 20 February, 2019, 09:47:40 am »
That's annoying. Website still down, so I can't login to buy a new pack of virtual brevets or enter the DIY I was gonna start at 3:30. Nice weather for a 200!

Cheer up, tomorrow and friday look even better  :thumbsup:

« Reply #13 on: 20 February, 2019, 09:58:20 am »
Just out of interest, is the MySQL server that powers both sites in the custody of ControlF1 or AUKweb?

Phil W

« Reply #14 on: 20 February, 2019, 10:38:23 am »
Time to deploy the Audax UK backup procedures for when the website is borked.

« Reply #15 on: 20 February, 2019, 10:44:11 am »
Just out of interest, is the MySQL server that powers both sites in the custody of ControlF1 or AUKweb?

The results database is still running on the old server and AFAIK is a basic LAMP setup.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #16 on: 20 February, 2019, 11:23:55 am »
All the data is still hosted on aukweb.  FWIW I don't think it's the database that is the fundamental problem here.  It's in hand but really my best advice until further notice is "try again tomorrow".

« Reply #17 on: 20 February, 2019, 11:38:54 am »
as far as DIY rides go, hopefully one can simply email one's intended route and date to local DIY man, complete the ride, and paperwork can be completed and brevets purchased when site is back up?

« Reply #18 on: 20 February, 2019, 11:44:36 am »
I don’t enter DIYs until just before I ride them, and didn’t want to email or ring Mike Kelly at 3am if it wouldn’t be validated. Out on a club ride now.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #19 on: 20 February, 2019, 12:11:05 pm »
as far as DIY rides go, hopefully one can simply email one's intended route and date to local DIY man, complete the ride, and paperwork can be completed and brevets purchased when site is back up?
I intend to do this if the site is not working properly this evening.  Fortunately I'm riding a route which I've used before and the local DIY man (Manotea OTP) will be familiar with.  I bought my virtual brevets yesterday  :smug:

Yes, really good of the new website to expose the inner workings of the old one.  Not very graceful of them.
The security spooks where I work wouldn't like the call stack trace and would be horrified that the name of a datafile had been revealed (even if a relative path).  It's interesting to see they're using that dotNOT async stuff - well down with the kids good modern practice.
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #20 on: 20 February, 2019, 01:28:44 pm »
What gets me about the publicly visible stack trace in the error messages is that you have to actively turn that on...

On the other hand it let me go into work mode and find out that mysql error 30 is a read-only file system error....

« Reply #21 on: 20 February, 2019, 01:37:17 pm »
Here's a 'paper' entry form for anyone who needs it.  Not quite the current version but will suffice for now.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YZYwYH9pIT5v3AqrxJg2HvRUoQm9V7aR/view?usp=sharing

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #22 on: 20 February, 2019, 01:45:53 pm »
The security spooks where I work wouldn't like the call stack trace and would be horrified that the name of a datafile had been revealed (even if a relative path).

In fact I'd quite appreciate it if the OP could remove that image from his post.  The error message is there I assume because the new website is still in alpha/beta.

« Reply #23 on: 20 February, 2019, 02:27:43 pm »
Id quite like to download the rider start list for my event on saturday!!

Ben T

« Reply #24 on: 20 February, 2019, 02:37:25 pm »
Showing stack traces for remote requests only happens if you change the 'custom errors' setting from its default of RemoteOnly to Off. Quite bad practice to set RemoteErrors to Off for a production/public-facing website, even if it's only in alpha/beta.

(Whilst I'm at it it also really gets up my goat if they supply a custom error but it contains any derivation of the word 'oops' or 'whoops' or 'whoops-a-daisy' etc....) ::-) ::-) ::-)