Author Topic: [HAMR] Another go .. TG??  (Read 175338 times)

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
[HAMR] Another go .. TG??
« on: 26 May, 2016, 01:40:46 pm »
. I did a turbo session in the morning and did the toughest option my coach gave me.

This is a quote from a TG post elsewhere.

Please tell us  a little more about this?. 

Is this the start of a build up to a new attempt and who is the coach?

I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

macnark

• Cake and Tea solves all.
Re: Another go .. TG??
« Reply #1 on: 29 May, 2016, 04:04:49 pm »
I met Steve's new coach at an event this morning - I'll pass on this link to her and leave it to them to elaborate as they choose. ;-)

« Reply #2 on: 01 June, 2016, 07:56:02 pm »
. I did a turbo session in the morning and did the toughest option my coach gave me.

This is a quote from a TG post elsewhere.

Please tell us  a little more about this?. 

Is this the start of a build up to a new attempt and who is the coach?

I think you worked out what I was hinting at.
Another go is the aim but not definite.
Especially now Amanda Coker has come along and it's looking like she will put the record even higher (I reckon about 80,000 give or take 2,000) I am thinking of going for the new month record first as a test of how training is going and as part of my training. Then finish my training before going for another year.
No dates yet. I'd like to go early next year.

red marley

« Reply #3 on: 01 June, 2016, 09:16:21 pm »
Woohoo! Good luck.

Any plans as to where you might ride?

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #4 on: 01 June, 2016, 09:23:40 pm »
Italy - no mopeds there, oh no.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #5 on: 01 June, 2016, 10:31:22 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Allez Steve!

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #6 on: 01 June, 2016, 10:52:40 pm »
what is the record on  a tandem? I mean if TG was to  ride every day, but with a fresh stoker!!

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #7 on: 01 June, 2016, 10:52:52 pm »
Good stuff!   All the best in applying what you've learned.  There'll be sponsorship here if you go for it.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8 on: 02 June, 2016, 01:36:23 am »
It's all part of a plot to give Jo something to do in the mornings ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #9 on: 02 June, 2016, 06:03:07 pm »
what is the record on  a tandem? I mean if TG was to  ride every day, but with a fresh stoker!!

I think that this needs a thread on its own; ideal tandem pairings.

Put Amanda and Steve together.  Or Steve and Kurt.  Kurt and Kajse.

« Reply #10 on: 02 June, 2016, 08:35:48 pm »
Thanks for the heads up Steve, looking at your Strava entries it didn't need a coach to work out what was going on, it does look like your averages have increased so in turn the training is having an effect.

Good luck and keep up the training.  :thumbsup:
Eddington Number 75

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #11 on: 02 June, 2016, 08:41:25 pm »

I think that this needs a thread on its own; ideal tandem pairings.

Put Amanda and Steve together.  Or Steve and Kurt.  Kurt and Kajse.

Better be compatible personalities - a year together 24 hrs a day nearly.  Still you never know.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #12 on: 05 June, 2016, 05:17:26 pm »
And nice to see Steve on the start sheet of the Newbury RC 12 hour TT next Sunday.  You're starting six minutes after me, so hopefully I'll see you you  to say Hi.  (Then hopefully I'd be seeing the number on your back before you see mine  :) )
37.9 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #13 on: 06 June, 2016, 01:38:30 am »
Go for it sweetie!

H

« Reply #14 on: 07 June, 2016, 12:26:36 pm »

Any plans as to where you might ride?

I still think that that the UK is best for me. Maybe not the best possible, but the best for me. The only exception being that Florida might be worth losing a day of flying for January to February/March.
Every rider who has attempted HAMR so far has used roads they know and that makes a lot of sense. Planning a 200 mile ride that makes best use of the wind and avoids hold ups really isn't easy even for one day, let alone when you have to consider what the weather will be doing in days to come. I also think that Milton Keynes Bowl has some potential for swapping between a TT bike and road bike, if I think that could work. It would also mean we could set up a base there for me to store food etc so I could have the advantages of a support crew without any actual support crew. Just put bottles and food on a table so I can grab it as I ride past.
I reckon I got my routing sussed last year. It'll never be perfect. Going in one continuous direction on a big land mass, like Australia has it's risks and disadvantages. You'd really need a support crew with follow vehicles for that, and there's still the time lost getting back to the start, which if done well, would mean at least two support crews, riding unsupported for a few days, a logistical nightmare or hanging around a base until the support crew gets back.
Going to France on unfamiliar roads really made me realise how much you need to know your routes and where you are going.
So many possibilties with different pros and cons
Amanda Coker's route does look very good

« Reply #15 on: 07 June, 2016, 12:30:47 pm »
And nice to see Steve on the start sheet of the Newbury RC 12 hour TT next Sunday.  You're starting six minutes after me, so hopefully I'll see you you  to say Hi.  (Then hopefully I'd be seeing the number on your back before you see mine  :) )

I should be wearing my North Bucks Road Club jersey.
I've been training for about 3-4 weeks now and I definitely feel a bit stronger than I was but I don't think I'm going that well, so you might well catch me.
I'm riding because the boss (my coach) told me to. If it was down to me, I'd be riding an Audax. ;D But it'll be something different and it's only 12 hours. 8)
Good luck :thumbsup:

« Reply #16 on: 07 June, 2016, 02:10:47 pm »
Best of luck Steve.  Ride well.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #17 on: 13 June, 2016, 10:43:18 am »
Great to see you yesterday.

It made my day to see you re-pass me.  You are riding well.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #18 on: 15 June, 2016, 07:05:42 pm »
Great to see you yesterday.

It made my day to see you re-pass me.  You are riding well.  :thumbsup:

Thanks.
I remember you passing me and saying something (I couldn't get any of it ;D) then I twigged who it was once you'd passed.
I slowed down a bit after 8 hours but felt better and speeded up again for the last two.
Still a way to go before I'm going well. I've done better in the first 12 of a 24. I couldn't have ridden another 200 miles in 12 hours after that. But I do seem to be going in the right direction.

« Reply #19 on: 01 September, 2016, 10:48:26 am »
Is Steve doing something special for September ?
Eddington Number 75

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #20 on: 01 September, 2016, 02:49:22 pm »

Recent Twitter post states that he could be going for the month record during September, 7000 miles as the target. Strava will reveal later I guess.
So for UMCA rules there should be a tracker page running.  ???

Go Steve

« Reply #21 on: 01 September, 2016, 03:43:36 pm »

Recent Twitter post states that he could be going for the month record during September, 7000 miles as the target. Strava will reveal later I guess.
So for UMCA rules there should be a tracker page running.  ???

Go Steve
Thanks that was my understanding as well, I did have a brief exnchange with Steve on Twitter and he said that depending how this month goes, Next year could be another year long attempt, let's hope that is the case  :thumbsup:

Go Steve  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: 8)
Eddington Number 75

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #22 on: 01 September, 2016, 03:48:59 pm »
I can't find the comment on facebook but I think he said he is starting it tomorrow  :thumbsup:

« Reply #23 on: 01 September, 2016, 06:55:46 pm »
Yes. I'm off very early tomorrow morning aiming for the UMCA HAMR Month Record.
The current record stands at 6679 miles and was established earlier this year by Adze Briscoe-Frieze in California.

I will be going for 7000 miles in the 30 consecutve days. That's 233 miles a day average.
This will decide whether I go for the year again as well as being part of my training and preparation for another go at the year. If I fail, then I will probably call an end to the Year Record, depending on why I fail.
If I succeed I will continue with training ready for another go at the Year, probably early next year.

Very much the same as before for the 1YTT. I'll be wearing the Milltag kit and riding the Raleigh bikes. I now have a new red "go faster" helmet as the old one seems a little battered (I only had it just over a year!)
I don't anticipate needing much support for the month. The 3 Raleighs are running but I only expect to need 1. Plus the spare wheels are all ready for when my tyres wear out.
I chose September because I find that the winds tend to be lighter but it's still warm, not scorching hot (less time spent filling bottles) and there's still a good number of daylight hours. (October is often very good too)

I have been training with a coach using a power meter since April and have got close to my PBs at 12 and 24 hour TTs this year as part of my training. My fitness has improved since the Mersey 24 in July.

Here's the link to my live tracker page

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0xphW4GIkuk1vBUF3WeNCy1puogaR4PDv

Everyone is welcome to come and ride with me etc. If you're thinking of giving me a back wheel, then I would be grateful, though it never seemed to work out last time. Everyone who tried was too fast up the hills and slowed me down on the way down.
I expect to be mostly doing my 9am start, strong tailwind through the Fens, weaker headwind through the forests and back home for 11pm but not on the first few days.

I'll be carrying a movie camera. Whether we get anything out of it depends on whether I am any good at using it and if we can get it uploaded very quickly.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #24 on: 01 September, 2016, 06:59:40 pm »
That's great news! Good luck Steve!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.