Author Topic: [HAMR] Another go .. TG??  (Read 178257 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Another go .. TG??
« Reply #850 on: 14 February, 2018, 02:16:09 pm »
Chapeau!
Getting there...

« Reply #851 on: 14 February, 2018, 04:21:05 pm »
Go Steve!  All the best for the final push to 73K.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

hillbilly

« Reply #852 on: 14 February, 2018, 05:22:00 pm »
If I started to count from 1 to 73,000 it would probably take around 6 hours. 

More if I have to drink some wine or pause to contemplate why I'm spending my life doing it.

That's a lot of numbers. 

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #853 on: 14 February, 2018, 06:06:14 pm »

I won't try again. Or at least it's highly unlikely. The only way I'd have another go would be if I can have a full support crew and have nothing else to do but ride the bike, eat and sleep. Probably on Flatlands or something similar where I dont have to avoid traffic hold ups and ice etc. It would cost hundreds of thousands for that to happen as it would probably be abroad.

<snip>

One of my reasons for riding was to get my name out in the public so I can do other big rides and get the sponsors etc because this is an expensive hobby/career.

Round the world in 77 days.  You heard it here first ;)

« Reply #854 on: 14 February, 2018, 06:12:12 pm »
Incredible, inspirational effort.  Massive congratulations on all you have achieved.   

On the health front.... I hope you have had a proper sleep diagnostics assessment.  If not, then please don't assume that because it feels like you are getting better sleep that the problem is fixed.   You could well still be having apneas and not knowing about it and if you want to do more distance challenges in the future you need to get that sorted.    You could be a prime candidate for cpap treatment so make sure you hassle your GP for a proper diagnosis.

« Reply #855 on: 14 February, 2018, 09:13:14 pm »
Chapeau. Amazing.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #856 on: 14 February, 2018, 09:35:03 pm »

That’s just a little more than my Eddington number.

1000 times.

In one year.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #857 on: 14 February, 2018, 09:53:56 pm »
Go Steve! An amazing journey, Chapeau.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #858 on: 14 February, 2018, 11:18:21 pm »
I’m sitting in the chair that Steve sat in some months ago, during  his quite achievable aim to do the Godwin (before the moped twunt)

Records are great. Achievements are better. Endeavour is best.

Round the UK record? I’d help support that.

PS 73,000 Chapeaux
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #859 on: 14 February, 2018, 11:27:29 pm »
What can I say? Your redefined objective seems eminently sensible under the circumstances. Go Steve!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #860 on: 15 February, 2018, 04:24:23 pm »
A huge achievement given all the circumstances.  You gave life to a record that had become moribund.  And you are the only rider to have completed 100,000km in a year twice!  Beyond my imagination.  Very well done.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #861 on: 15 February, 2018, 09:18:33 pm »
An astonishing feat in every respect draws to a close. Ride safe, Steve. I hope you have plans for your physical recovery and good health when this ends.

Martin

« Reply #862 on: 15 February, 2018, 10:00:48 pm »
Yes truly astonishing; Steve's achievement is certainly worthy of a record; longest continuous daily distance? but that would require a ride every day during the period

« Reply #863 on: 15 February, 2018, 10:08:32 pm »
When I rode a few miles with Steve in the summer, he said he may as well continue with the record attempt, as if he wasn't doing it...

...he'd only be out riding his bike anyway.  ;D

Go Steve!
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #864 on: 16 February, 2018, 01:55:58 pm »
I note the whole of yesterday wasn't registered by the live tracker. Does it still count?

« Reply #865 on: 22 February, 2018, 08:37:07 am »
71,568 71,646 miles done, 10 days to go.

(edit: using Strava rather than incomplete live tracker data)

« Reply #866 on: 22 February, 2018, 07:31:19 pm »
And likely the coldest 10 days of the last year  :-\
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #867 on: 22 February, 2018, 08:35:24 pm »
Coldest 10 days of the last decade, I reckon, but the forecast is dry which is the most important thing for cycling at low temperatures.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #868 on: 22 February, 2018, 08:53:48 pm »
It’s the wind that’ll be the worst, it was bitter today and it wasn’t that cold.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #869 on: 23 February, 2018, 10:06:05 am »
Steve knows how to dress for the cold.

He doesn't have a magic wand to deflect really stiff winds  (like we get from the SW for much of the year), or to stay upright on ice or thick snow.

So I'd say the upcoming forecast isn't TOO unfavourable for mile-munching on main roads. He's had worse already!

(worse is 3-5'c, strong winds and rain. With a few hours of frost in-between just to keep thing "interesting" ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

whosatthewheel

« Reply #870 on: 23 February, 2018, 10:18:05 am »
Steve knows how to dress for the cold.

He doesn't have a magic wand to deflect really stiff winds  (like we get from the SW for much of the year), or to stay upright on ice or thick snow.

So I'd say the upcoming forecast isn't TOO unfavourable for mile-munching on main roads. He's had worse already!

(worse is 3-5'c, strong winds and rain. With a few hours of frost in-between just to keep thing "interesting" ... )

Next week might get interesting, with low in the -5 to -10 region and the possibility of light snow to plaster the tarmac with treacherous patches...

« Reply #871 on: 23 February, 2018, 10:38:10 am »

The one for our part of Bucks is worse than you posit IMO. No rain, but sub-zero and fairly strong easterly winds. Plus a chance of snow the further east you go. 

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gcpqrnvqc#?date=2018-02-28

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/u1214b469#?date=2018-02-26

Difficult to dress for that and still cycle efficiently  :). I know Steve can tolerate the cold, but it’s still not going to be pleasant or easy. I wish him well.

« Reply #872 on: 23 February, 2018, 10:56:16 am »
Reminds me, time to cancel the Standing Order.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Samuel D

« Reply #873 on: 23 February, 2018, 11:07:47 am »
I don’t doubt Steve’s physical and psychological ability to cope with cold temperatures, but cold temperatures unavoidably slow you down.

If you change the air temperature on Bike Calculator from the default to −10°C while leaving alone all the other defaults, the speed drops over 1 km/h just from the increased density of cold air. In reality, speed drops more because bulky clothing is needed that compounds the increase in drag, tyres have higher rolling resistance at lower temperatures, and the body has more difficulty producing power in those temperatures while surviving.

Go Steve! I have followed these years in awe.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #874 on: 23 February, 2018, 12:45:24 pm »

Plus a chance of snow the further east you go. 
fortunately there is a simple solution for bad weather in the east ... ;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles