Author Topic: Single label printer  (Read 2664 times)

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
Single label printer
« on: 24 May, 2012, 05:11:09 pm »
Friends wants to print individual labels from a PC. I've seen a few over the years, mainly the Avery and Brother. All seem to be thermal which means no ink but expensive labels.

Anyone got one? Any +ve/-ve views on them? A quick google doesn't seem to imply that many work with Win 7.
A shitter and a giggler.

Si_Co

Re: Single label printer
« Reply #1 on: 24 May, 2012, 05:14:39 pm »
Download the Avery wizard and print using a standard printer

ETA runs through Word

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #2 on: 24 May, 2012, 05:16:28 pm »
We've got a Dymo Labelwriter 310 - obsolete model I daresay - I think Ryman sell Dymo stuff.
We wouldn't be without it for anything, and I strongly recommend a printer of this type to anyone who uses the post a lot, or even just a bit.  Terrific time-saver and faff-saver and eliminates errors too.  Uses a database of regular contacts but you can also just copy'n'paste any old address in and 'just print'.  Can also print bar-codes etc, graphic logos etc.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #3 on: 24 May, 2012, 05:57:47 pm »
Download the Avery wizard and print using a standard printer

ETA runs through Word

I think that the label print option is native in Word.

Tools - Letters and Mailings - Envelopes and Labels

You set the type of label that you want. It knows all the standard ones. I print on Avery L7160 21 labels per sheet, format 63.5 x 38.1 mm.

It will suggest the address if it can find it in the document but you can paste in anything.

You can select a whole sheet of identical labels or a single label.

My hint is to print on the last label first, and go up the page. That way, when you have peeled off the lower labels, the page has still got a firm leading edge to go into the printer, not just the flimsy backing sheet. It is also a good idea to write the direction on the back of the page so that you remember how to reload it later.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #4 on: 24 May, 2012, 06:33:19 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions - i'll point her towards the dymo labellers. i tend to print in bulk but she's doing lots of one offs.

anyone know if the dymo are win 7 capitable? being powered from the PC is a boon.
A shitter and a giggler.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #5 on: 24 May, 2012, 07:17:31 pm »
We use Zebras at work. Bar code hurr hurr. Thermal again.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #6 on: 24 May, 2012, 08:27:37 pm »
We use Zebras at work. Bar code hurr hurr. Thermal again.

Printing one off at a time from a sheet is the most cost effective for small quantities. It's less successful with laser printers because after a couple of passes the adhesive starts to bleed through the face paper.

Labels other than in sheet form are expensive in small quantities (ie. less than several thousand).

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #7 on: 24 May, 2012, 08:35:32 pm »
anyone know if the dymo are win 7 capitable? being powered from the PC is a boon.

Check the specs at http://global.dymo.com/enGB/Categories/LabelWriter_Printers.html.  I saw at least one that's W7 compatible, and one that says Vista compatible*.  Similar looking Brother machines are a lot cheaper though.

* Would it be fair to assume that everything that works with Vista works with W7 as well, or is that bo11ox?
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #8 on: 25 May, 2012, 07:08:42 am »
Yes our old Dymo is attached to a Win 7-64 PC, no problems once I downloaded the latest driver. (It must be, oh, 9 years old now, still going strong.)
I suppose the label stationery does feel expensive but I stopped thinking about that as soon as I realised the hu-u-uge convenience plus of this little gadget.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #9 on: 25 May, 2012, 07:17:26 am »
We've got a Dymo Labelwriter 310 - obsolete model I daresay - I think Ryman sell Dymo stuff.
We wouldn't be without it for anything, and I strongly recommend a printer of this type to anyone who uses the post a lot, or even just a bit.  Terrific time-saver and faff-saver and eliminates errors too.  Uses a database of regular contacts but you can also just copy'n'paste any old address in and 'just print'.  Can also print bar-codes etc, graphic logos etc.

We had Dymp LabelWriters as well.  Fabulous little machines that make life a lot easier - this may sound daft but it really does make a difference...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #11 on: 07 June, 2012, 09:41:05 am »
My friend got a dymo label printer that i helped set up - i.e. plugged it in.

What a fantastic little device, i was so impressed i got one too, actually a double one and a selection of labels.

thanks for all the advice.
A shitter and a giggler.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #12 on: 07 June, 2012, 04:27:14 pm »
What are the labels being used for?

In one of the places I'm currently working/helping out, we are using something called iMail to send out mailings. It was a bit of a faff to set-up, but now we just print letters to a special printer driver and so long as they are properly formatted, the letter gets uploaded to an imail server, printed, popped in an envelope and posted out for us.

On the deal we've got, it's cheaper than buying a Royal Mail stamp.

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #13 on: 07 June, 2012, 05:57:12 pm »
my friend does it for her design work and printing delivery labels for work she posts out, but not in enough qty to justify A4 sheets of labels.

likewise i'm using it for very small scale mailings and a host of other stuff, from filing labels to stickers for scaletrix cars.
A shitter and a giggler.