Author Topic: Carrera Vulcan..?  (Read 13935 times)

Carrera Vulcan..?
« on: 19 March, 2010, 02:38:34 pm »
Any have any experience with the CV?  Given I've never owned an MTB and do want to give the whole 'off road' thing a go...  ;)  But I've gone from thinking about a Spec Rockhopper £799, to now looking at the Halford's special (CV).  :) Currently £299, and not too bad it seems, though it weighs in at 15kg, as opposed to the Spec's 11/12Kg. How much would one notice an extra 2-3kg?   I could do the cycle to work scheme on the Spec, but it would still be a fair bit more dosh, and I'm just not sure how I'll take to the whole MTB thing really. 

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Carrera Vulcan..?
« Reply #1 on: 19 March, 2010, 02:46:43 pm »
Don't do it! :hand:

If you're looking for a cheap MTB to thrash around, go no further than the Revolution Cuillin

Still almost 15kg, but I'd trust it more.
Getting there...

« Reply #2 on: 19 March, 2010, 02:53:54 pm »
Any have any experience with the CV?  Given I've never owned an MTB and do want to give the whole 'off road' thing a go...  ;)  But I've gone from thinking about a Spec Rockhopper £799, to now looking at the Halford's special (CV).  :) Currently £299, and not too bad it seems, though it weighs in at 15kg, as opposed to the Spec's 11/12Kg. How much would one notice an extra 2-3kg?   I could do the cycle to work scheme on the Spec, but it would still be a fair bit more dosh, and I'm just not sure how I'll take to the whole MTB thing really. 

They're good value. MrsO had a CV as her first bike a few years ago and I was quite impressed with it for the money - that was a V-braked and rigid-forked version.

Looking at the Spec. sheet, the only really weak point is the fork. Suntour forks are poorly-damped and flexible. Probably as good as a high-end fork from the mid-90s, though, and adequate for trying-out the rough stuff. The fork is probably also the source of much of the extra weight, too. Brake-wise, I scrounged a set of Tektro disks from a friend for my commuter bike a couple of years ago, and was impressed - certainly better than the BB5s I (unfortunately) replaced them with. And while the gears won't last fanstastically well, they can be regarded as a consumable on an MTB - upgrade as they wear out if you find you like it.

The only other query I would raise is the rear wheel: MrsO's CV had a freewheel, not a freehub. However, a new (or second hand) rear wheel won't break the bank if the current model still has that deficiency...

ETA: Not sure why Clarion wouldn't trust the Carrera... Surely not brand snobbery, Clarion?  ;)
Although the Revolution is an equally good buy - I'd say it depends on whether EBC or Halfords are closer to you, really. :thumbsup:
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Tim

« Reply #3 on: 19 March, 2010, 03:04:15 pm »
Carrera bikes are usually reasonably value for money.

Though I would consider the issue of the forks.

What's the current cheapest bike with a Tora (or equivalent) fork?

Below that and you may want to consider fully rigid bikes for your money, though that will require a far better technique and will be harder on your body.

In compensation for that the rest of the bike should be lighter and better kitted out.

Cheap suspension forks don't work nearly as well as ones which are merely inexpensive.

« Reply #4 on: 19 March, 2010, 05:51:19 pm »

If you're looking for a cheap MTB to thrash around, go no further than the Revolution Cuillin

Ok, thanks I'll pause for thought.  :)  

« Reply #5 on: 19 March, 2010, 05:52:49 pm »

They're good value. MrsO had a CV as her first bike a few years ago and I was quite impressed with it for the money - that was a V-braked and rigid-forked version.

Looking at the Spec. sheet, the only really weak point is the fork. Suntour forks are poorly-damped and flexible. Probably as good as a high-end fork from the mid-90s, though, and adequate for trying-out the rough stuff. The fork is probably also the source of much of the extra weight, too. Brake-wise, I scrounged a set of Tektro disks from a friend for my commuter bike a couple of years ago, and was impressed - certainly better than the BB5s I (unfortunately) replaced them with. And while the gears won't last fanstastically well, they can be regarded as a consumable on an MTB - upgrade as they wear out if you find you like it.

The only other query I would raise is the rear wheel: MrsO's CV had a freewheel, not a freehub. However, a new (or second hand) rear wheel won't break the bank if the current model still has that deficiency...

ETA: Not sure why Clarion wouldn't trust the Carrera... Surely not brand snobbery, Clarion?  ;)
Although the Revolution is an equally good buy - I'd say it depends on whether EBC or Halfords are closer to you, really. :thumbsup:

Thanks.  Will have a think about the fork dilemma, and check out rear wheel.

« Reply #6 on: 19 March, 2010, 05:54:12 pm »
Carrera bikes are usually reasonably value for money.

Though I would consider the issue of the forks.

What's the current cheapest bike with a Tora (or equivalent) fork?

Below that and you may want to consider fully rigid bikes for your money, though that will require a far better technique and will be harder on your body.

In compensation for that the rest of the bike should be lighter and better kitted out.

Cheap suspension forks don't work nearly as well as ones which are merely inexpensive.

Cheers T.

Anyone?  Most inexpensive off shelf bike with decent Rockshox forks?   :)

edit.. I think one can bogged down in component checking.  I've just looked at a Kona with Tora forks but with Shimano M475 hub, which a google search comment suggests is the worst (& unsealed?) hub ever  ???

rdaviesb

« Reply #7 on: 20 March, 2010, 08:38:22 am »
I have a CV disk. Good frame (its a Merida, and will take upgrades), adequate drivetrain. OK wheels, heavy forks. I've bought mine as a utility trailer hauler, and to try out a bit of light off roading. Having upgraded the brakes to something that stops me immediately, as opposed to by postal request, I'm hooked, and as soon as I can get back into Cyclescheme, I'm going to buy something with a better spec. Mine, pre brake upgrade....

bikenerd

« Reply #8 on: 20 March, 2010, 09:58:46 am »
The Carrera Fury is usually recommended as an entry level MTB on lots of MTB forums.
That has a Suntour Epicon fork which gets a good review here:
bikeradar.

Alternatively, look at Merlin Cycles.  Their Merlin Malts have received lots of "best value MTB" over the years.  The cheapest is £585 at the moment, with a full Deore groupset and a Tora fork.

bikenerd

« Reply #9 on: 20 March, 2010, 09:59:53 am »

Why?  The Halfords frames are made by Merida and the components are largely of a similar quality.  Carrera bikes are good value for money as long as you don't mind re-assembling it! :)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #10 on: 20 March, 2010, 10:49:51 am »
I have one in bits at the moment.  The V-spec one has BSO-level kit, the disc one has better components.  It was stunning value a couple of weeks ago, when you could get the disc one for £260 new, and the latest model really does look good.

The frame is good, the headset is a neat design although it's NOT a cartridge system as the label says - you can use loose 1/8" (yes really) balls.  Check you're getting one with a replaceable-ring chainset - the V-spec has a riveted POS.  Personally I hate riser bars, but new bikes seem to come with them now.

The fork is total crap.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11 on: 20 March, 2010, 11:36:49 am »
I have a CV disk. Good frame (its a Merida, and will take upgrades),
I remember reading - I think it may even have been on this forum - that the vast majority of frames are now made by just three companies: Merida, Giant, and one other (can't remember the third name  :-[ ). If this is the case I wonder whether you might get a better value bike by buying one of those three - certainly I've been told that Merida are good VFM, but the price of one particular model I looked at varied by 30% between LBSs! - or whether you actually get better VFM (as opposed to a better bike) by buying something like a Carrera, where they don't have any reputation to pay for.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #12 on: 20 March, 2010, 12:05:48 pm »
rdb, thanks for posting the pic & info.  I'm thinking I might end up going with the cyclescheme and aim for £500-600 list.

bikenerd, thanks for the Merlin link - I've noticed I could get one on cyclescheme, with a good discount.  The only thing is without going up to the Lake District, I'm not sure whether I be best with a 17" or 19".  With the CV, the 18" was a definite, but wondering whether 17" would be on the small side (I'm 6'2")

rz, cheers.  I'd probably go straight out and pick up a CV Disk, if it wasn't for the forks.  RS Tora go for £175+ if one buys them to upgrade.  I notice with the Merlin one can pay +£35 and upgrade to RockShox Recon Sl

bikenerd

« Reply #13 on: 20 March, 2010, 12:29:21 pm »
Andy, the Recons would be a worthy upgrade - they're lighter and everything (internals / stanchions etc.) are of a better quality than the Toras.

Sizing a MTB should be done on the top tube length.  If you email Merlin, they should be able to give you the dimensions and you can compare with the Carrera you've sat on.  At a guess, though, at 6ft 2" you should buy a 19".  I have a 17.5" and 18" MTB (one of each!) and I'm about 5ft 10".

Merlin are actually in Leyland, Lancashire, just south of Preston.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #14 on: 20 March, 2010, 04:05:52 pm »
The CV in front of me at the moment is a 16" frame, and about the same size as my On-One Inbred 18" (which has a very extended seat tube above the top tube junction).  The reach is a bit short for me with the standard stem, but I could ride it quite happily.  Compact frame sizing is rather unreliable.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #15 on: 20 March, 2010, 04:10:11 pm »
Andy, the Recons would be a worthy upgrade - they're lighter and everything (internals / stanchions etc.) are of a better quality than the Toras.

Sizing a MTB should be done on the top tube length.  If you email Merlin, they should be able to give you the dimensions and you can compare with the Carrera you've sat on.  At a guess, though, at 6ft 2" you should buy a 19".  I have a 17.5" and 18" MTB (one of each!) and I'm about 5ft 10".

Merlin are actually in Leyland, Lancashire, just south of Preston.

Thanks rz, bn, the CV 18", and Spec Rockhopper 19" felt good.
21" Spec RH was too big, the spec geometries are:

Spec RockH SL TT = (17") 570.4mm, (19") 595.2mm (21") 619.3mm
Merlin 19" TT = (17") 552.5, (19") 584mm, (21") 596.9mm
CV disk  - can't find.

http://www.marchini.co.uk/Rock%20Lobster%20and%20Merlin%20frame%20Geometry.pdf

Specialized Rockhopper

So in theory I would be OK with 19" Merlin, I guess.

Zoidburg

« Reply #16 on: 20 March, 2010, 06:01:15 pm »
Don't stress the forks on the carrera.

They are servicable enough and unless you are blasting fire road downhills at 30+ mph or hitting the switch backs then you will fine.

As a bog standard ally frame they withstand upgrades perfectly well.

« Reply #17 on: 21 March, 2010, 02:40:04 pm »
Don't stress the forks on the carrera.

They are servicable enough and unless you are blasting fire road downhills at 30+ mph or hitting the switch backs then you will fine.

As a bog standard ally frame they withstand upgrades perfectly well.

Thanks.  I plan to use the bike to go out on occasional off road rides, locally and further afield, with friends (and commuting especially if funded by CSch).  Not sure whether the bug will bite or not.  But I suppose my hesitation is that the CV becomes a £450+ bike, without the general kit level to match, as soon as you might need to upgrade to 'decent' forks.  There does however seem to be a case for the Suntour XCM-V2s being not too bad as far as rubbish forks go...  :)

Zoidburg

« Reply #18 on: 21 March, 2010, 05:19:22 pm »
The kit on the carrera actualy does match the kit level on a lot of £450+ bikes.

Even discounting the forks the groupset brakes and frame are as good as anything if not better than a lot of bigger name brands out there at the same price point.

« Reply #19 on: 31 August, 2010, 09:06:50 am »

At £249.99, is this as good as it looks?

Halfords | Carrera Vengeance Ltd Disc Mountain Bike 20"

rdaviesb

« Reply #20 on: 31 August, 2010, 10:18:25 am »
Yes. That's a bargain.