Author Topic: The Highlands, West Coast & Glens July 2016,  (Read 66549 times)

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
The Highlands, West Coast & Glens July 2016,
« on: 03 February, 2016, 05:05:03 pm »
The Highlands, West Coast & Glens July 2016,

Last time I copied someone else's plan and winged it. Last summer's PBP, I pretty much just winged it. For this year's big ride I plan to SYHA Start & Finish but camp nights 1 & 3 and hotel somewhere in the middle. I'm planning ~300 a day but doing as much over as possible on Day One because of the later start and delays due to ferries on that first day.

So who is in? and what are you plans?

Dave C
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

Re: The Highlands, West Coast & Glens July 2016,
« Reply #1 on: 03 February, 2016, 08:22:51 pm »
Im doing the Tuesday start, not given plans much thought so far.
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #2 on: 04 February, 2016, 03:22:09 pm »
I am on the Tuesday start but also not made any firm plans as yet

« Reply #3 on: 04 February, 2016, 06:59:29 pm »
My rough plan is:

Day 1: Oban to Ardross (just beyond Alness) 295km (after subtracting ferries)

Day 2: Ardross to Lairg 332km

Day 3: Lairg to Kyle of Lochalsh 317km

Day 4: Kyle of Lochalsh to Oban 252km (after subtracting ferries)

I'm yet to find any suitably placed any time of day/night friendly hostels/hotels, so probably go with bivvy bag. Fun times!

« Reply #4 on: 04 February, 2016, 07:02:48 pm »

My rough plan is:

Day 4: Kyle of Lochalsh to 252km (after subtracting ferries)

I'm yet to find any suitably placed any time of day/night friendly hostels/hotels, so probably go with bivvy bag. Fun times!

There's a hostel at Kyleakin - just over the bridge from Kyle of Lochalsh. Any use? ISTR there's a hostel in Plockton too, but I think you had to book the whole place last I checked...

(I'm not riding, so feel free to ignore!)

« Reply #5 on: 04 February, 2016, 07:17:07 pm »

My rough plan is:

Day 4: Kyle of Lochalsh to 252km (after subtracting ferries)

There's a hostel at Kyleakin - just over the bridge from Kyle of Lochalsh. Any use? ISTR there's a hostel in Plockton too, but I think you had to book the whole place last I checked...

(I'm not riding, so feel free to ignore!)

Riders have links to both SYHA and independent hostels - there are a fair number within a couple of km of the route. There's enough there to choose from.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #6 on: 04 February, 2016, 07:54:25 pm »
so probably go with bivvy bag. Fun times!
I'm doing the bivvy bag route as I want to keep it as cheap as I can
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #7 on: 18 February, 2016, 02:08:01 pm »
I'm in. No idea what I'm doing yet - only ever done a 200! :-)

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #8 on: 18 February, 2016, 02:37:03 pm »
I'm in, but planning is another thing altogether....

I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #9 on: 18 February, 2016, 04:57:16 pm »
I have been mulling this over, does anyone have any good suggestions for accommodation en-route ? I am weighing up my options before fully committing to the Bivvy bag route, I would like to use my lighter bike TBH so the B&B option does appeal
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #10 on: 21 February, 2016, 02:55:25 pm »
I am certainly thinking of Bivvy for a couple of nights.  What are the thoughts on the start; stay over in Craignure the night before or travel on the first ferry from Oban in the morning?

« Reply #11 on: 22 February, 2016, 10:05:43 pm »
I've finally got off my steadily growing backside and sorted out accommodation in Oban for the Sunday and Thursday nights and plan to train/ride there and train home. Beyond that I've done nothing and if that doesn't change soon I can see me being increasingly likely to wing the middle bits with a bivvy bag and hang on to the fact there is an opportunity to get a proper clean up and reorganise at Trantlebeg. If the weather turns out to be pants then it will be miserable. Ho hum.

At the moment the most pressing issue is that I just can't stir my stumps to get out on the bike. If this Sunday's weather isn't too bracing then I hope I might manage a DIY 200 and finally get this show back on the cliché. We'll see.
Your next 1200's your best 1200.

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #12 on: 23 February, 2016, 08:14:14 pm »
I'm signed up for the Tuesday start. Not planned much at all. Might go down the bivi bag route with a nap at Trantlebeg. Out of interest, what distance is Trantlebeg? My whole plan revolves around spending as little as possible on travel and accommodation, and avoid being eaten alive by flying beasties.
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

« Reply #13 on: 23 February, 2016, 11:29:13 pm »
Trantlebeg appears at 561km on the gps track but, of course, that includes about 35km at sea and 16km of those are done before the clock even starts ticking i.e. Oban to Craignure. I did look at the ferry timetables at one stage and attempt to calculate when I thought I might land at Armadale, assuming no mechanicals and weather not being a significant factor, and then tried to work out when I might reach Trantlebeg. From memory, I was reckoning that if I was at Armadale by 1730 then 26 hours for that next 400, including a bit of shuteye through the night on Monday, would put me in Trantlebeg around 2000 on Tuesday. I wouldn't be anticipating spending too long there though and would instead want to push deep into Tuesday night before stopping. Unlike PBP I think this one will go to the wire.

Still, the above will be entirely academic if I don't get a grip on the training front. Lots to do between now and July!
Your next 1200's your best 1200.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #14 on: 24 February, 2016, 12:16:49 am »
I am certainly thinking of Bivvy for a couple of nights.  What are the thoughts on the start; stay over in Craignure the night before or travel on the first ferry from Oban in the morning?
YH in Oban and first ferry would be in the Spirit of 2014 (and thus maximise your chances of pleasing the Weather Gods :) )

For the less fast rider (and based on experience of the 2014 event and other more "normal" 1200s) I now think that bivvy + proper bed on the 2nd night is probably the most efficient way to do this. I havent done the exact sums,  but it looks like Trantlebeg makes sense - mainly cos there is bugger-all else on that stretch (apart from the odd rather expensive proper hotel - which in hindsight might be worth splashing out on! )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #15 on: 25 February, 2016, 04:08:34 pm »
interesting---my very vague plan hinges on being @ Inchnadamph --700km in 38 hours ?  for night 2 for a proper sleep maybe that`s too ambitious ? and bivvy bag nights 1 and 3.

Kyleakin hostel gets used by `non outdoor` enthusiasts a lot, my one night there was totally sleepless as a result  ::-) and I personally would never use it again !
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #16 on: 25 February, 2016, 07:03:44 pm »
"too ambitiuous" ?

I think you have more chance of knowing than anyone reading your post has!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #17 on: 25 February, 2016, 07:40:20 pm »
"too ambitiuous" ?

I think you have more chance of knowing than anyone reading your post has!

thanks MC  ;D

probably and  probably;  BCM has been 37 hours for the 640 odd km with the Maentwrog bridge detour and lots lingering at Weobley in the sun......
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #18 on: 25 February, 2016, 07:57:08 pm »
OK, excellent!

Now is there any question I can actually help you with?

:P
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #19 on: 25 February, 2016, 08:01:56 pm »
My plan aims for the second visit to Lairg (660km) at 39 hours. Inchnadamph is probably doable at 38 hours if you're very fast. The north coast section is one of the hardest bits though. Also don't underestimate day 1 ferry time.

If all goes swimmingly though, I reckon the early ferry to Mallaig on day 4 is possible, giving you an 8am start to do 210km by 2am, with a pleasant lunch stop at Kinlochleven and an afternoon stroll over Glencoe. That would be lovely.

« Reply #20 on: 25 February, 2016, 08:11:31 pm »
OK, excellent!

I`m not sure  :facepalm: thanks Matt C !!!

----oh yes, how to stop being eaten by Scottish midges maybe ?

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #21 on: 25 February, 2016, 08:45:25 pm »
OK, excellent!

Simple, just don't stop.
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

« Reply #22 on: 26 February, 2016, 12:31:32 am »
On the 1300km, my sleep stops were: - Oban SYHA, Gairloch  bivi, Trantlebeg Hostel, Fort William bivi and that worked well.

On the 1200km, I'll take the bivi again and use it on the first and third nights with Trantlebeg in between.

The main advantage of the bivi is the flexibility as you can just stop when you need to, rather than being confined to pre-booked accommodation which could either hold you back or prove an unreachable target, depending on the conditions.

I'll definitely take my midge hat and make sure I zip up my bivi properly next time too. I won't bother with a sleeping mat or sleeping bag.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #23 on: 26 February, 2016, 09:12:15 am »
OK, excellent!

Simple, just don't stop.

Indeed. If any of your riding companions have an issue you either have to accept they are going to die by midge and leave them, or just act like the wagons in a western and ride in circles around them until they have solved the issue (or succumbed to death by midge).

2014, we were largely untroubled by the little feckers. Two spots where they were an issue were the cash machine in gairloch where we controlled (riding around in circles whilst others got their proof of passage was the only option really) and the hostel at trantlebeg where they has heard that tired randonneurs do not put up much of a fight, so arranged their annual reunion to coincide with our visit.

But, as ever, they are only a major issue when you stop, particularly if you are bivying etc. 

Don't stop to pee anywhere sheltered - top of a hill with some wind is good (just remember to pee downwind). I realise this is less good for the shy and probably ladies as well. 

Same for eating and drinking.

I carried a midge net but did not use it much. Same for repellent (Avon skin so soft) - I think I carried some, I cannot remember).

Nasty little feckers for sure.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #24 on: 28 February, 2016, 09:01:56 pm »
Such was the amusement of motorists I`m sure when I had to stop, in a light warm drizzle, @ traffic lights convoy system in Glenfinnan a couple years ago and spent a `happy` 5 minutes waiting and slapping myself  / jumping about to avoid wee feckers :( :(