Author Topic: Anyone else on SKC demo today in London?  (Read 1966 times)

Anyone else on SKC demo today in London?
« on: 13 October, 2018, 09:57:26 pm »
Really really well organised event today
Turned up at Lincolns Inn and they had a horse drawn funeral carriage waiting along with drivers in top hat and tails.
Really positive journey down to parliament followed by an excellent Die In that made the local TV news programmes, along with the groups aims.
Then onto a square around the corner somewhere for speeches and flower laying (there were other Football protests going on in the area so the organisers were sensible to re-locate the final part) .

Would definitely do these again

more pics here

Ben T

Re: Anyone else on SKC demo today in London?
« Reply #1 on: 13 October, 2018, 10:08:45 pm »
Sounds great... but... what's the actual cause?  ???

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2 on: 13 October, 2018, 10:20:12 pm »
SKC is "Stop Killing Cyclists" - http://stopkillingcyclists.org/
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Ben T

« Reply #3 on: 13 October, 2018, 10:28:17 pm »
Oh right, came up with South Kensington club when I googled it.

« Reply #4 on: 13 October, 2018, 10:31:14 pm »
Yep, I got to admit I wish it was called something else. 'Keep Loving Cyclists' would be my preference!

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #5 on: 13 October, 2018, 11:41:35 pm »
Pity that the 'leader' of the group is a real piece of work.

« Reply #6 on: 14 October, 2018, 12:12:39 am »
The group formed as a response to six cyclists being killed in two weeks in London in 2013. The name made perfect sense then as that was its simple goal. The campaign has since become much broader but they’re stuck with the name.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 14 October, 2018, 02:57:46 pm »
I assumed it was a reference to Stop de Kindermoord.  Not sure why the message that we'd rather people didn't perpetuate a status quo that leads to our deaths needs watering down?

Not that I've really heard much about the campaign recently, presumably because I'm not in London.  Has it shifted focus?

« Reply #8 on: 14 October, 2018, 08:35:07 pm »
It's become much more of a general pro-cycling infrastructure anti-car campaign, albeit with a focus on deaths (including the general [non-cycling] population from air pollution, obesity, climate change, etc).

So the name is far too narrow. They've used "Stop The Kililng" and "Stop Traffic Killing" on placards, which fit better but are a bit clunky.

ian

« Reply #9 on: 15 October, 2018, 09:28:32 am »
It might not be fair, but any campaign that primarily on cyclists won't go far, sadly.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 15 October, 2018, 01:12:29 pm »
It might not be fair, but any campaign that primarily on cyclists won't go far, sadly.

Indeed.  Cyclists are good at organising campaigns (in a way that, say, pedestrians aren't), but they're an outgroup at best.  Stop de Kindermoord was never about cycling.