Author Topic: DOTD  (Read 210762 times)

Re: DOTD
« Reply #25 on: 15 January, 2014, 04:41:36 pm »
The bloke riding down the A1 near Biggleswade at dusk tonight.  No lights, no reflectives, dark coloured kit on a 70mph dual carriageway without much of a hard shoulder, with a smaller road directly parallel and about 50 yards to the left. 

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #26 on: 19 February, 2014, 09:37:31 am »
The idiot wobbling along in the gutter on Ampthill Road at 6.30 this morning. No lights. On the wrong side of the road! Oncoming cars were flashing their lights and hooting but he seemed oblivious to it all.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #27 on: 19 February, 2014, 07:09:25 pm »
OK, I'll take the bait.

What does DOTD mean, and does it matter for someone who is wise/fortunate enough to cycle in London infrequently :demon:?

Dawn of the Dead maybe?
Hear all, see all, say nowt

« Reply #28 on: 19 February, 2014, 08:19:03 pm »
Me.
Riding home on the cycle path next to work, looking at the small tree which had blown over and at the slowish chap on the MTB who was using the road. Looking everywhere, in fact, except where I was going. It was only the squeal of brakes which alerted me to the cyclist coming the other way.  :face palm: Fortunately I had time (just) to take avoiding action and to apologise.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #29 on: 19 February, 2014, 10:09:28 pm »
I nearly took out a twit who was riding towards me on a  unlighted cycleway  with a red flashing light on his handlebars . Luckily for him I was testing a new 600 lumen front light and was able to miss that said twit .
the slower you go the more you see

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #30 on: 19 February, 2014, 10:11:05 pm »
Similarly, I saw someone who had both white and red lights on his handlebars today. WTF ???
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #31 on: 20 February, 2014, 10:26:31 am »
I was on the bus today.

DOTM

Bus at lights, indicators on, turning left. Cyclist coming along pavement and duckingleft. Bus driver clocks them, and swings wide on the turn; good thing, cyclist cuts right in front of the bus. Then straight through red ped crossing (with people on it), into the bus lane on the right - erm, now he's riding the wrong way down a bus lane, in the middle of the lane, towards a blind corner. Jumps onto the pavement and weaves through the pedestrians.

What a complete and utter bellend.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #32 on: 20 February, 2014, 08:53:50 pm »
The idiot with no front light cycling across Haymarket junction at 7:15 pm last night, to turn up morrison street. Wrong side of the road and directly in my lineā€¦...

« Reply #33 on: 20 February, 2014, 09:30:40 pm »
Interesting to read all these posts about cyclists.

Makes you wonder why cyclists get a bad name by some!

Sadly, the behaviour of the few will tarnish the many and the behaviour reported in this thread is doing our PR no good whatsoever.

« Reply #34 on: 20 February, 2014, 11:05:57 pm »
DOTD goes to the bell end from this morning with his light on full power and super silly mega fast strobe setting coming up the hill from Trentham traffic lights.

Thanks to you I had two green dots burned into my vision for the rest of my trip down the road. I also didn't see he truck behind you until you'd fucked off.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #35 on: 21 February, 2014, 08:28:52 am »
Interesting to read all these posts about cyclists.

Makes you wonder why cyclists get a bad name by some!

Sadly, the behaviour of the few will tarnish the many and the behaviour reported in this thread is doing our PR no good whatsoever.

Proportionally, I see more crap cycling than driving.

« Reply #36 on: 21 February, 2014, 09:35:58 am »

Proportionally, I see more truly incredibly crap cycling than driving.
FTFY

I think that reading cyclists winge about bad cyclists doesn't do us any harm. I do not like being lumping in with the utter fuckwits mentioned in this thread. They are FuckwitsOnnaBike and would probably be FuckwitsInnaCar if they were driving.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #37 on: 21 February, 2014, 07:11:30 pm »
DOTD goes to the bell end from this morning with his light on full power and super silly mega fast strobe setting coming up the hill from Trentham traffic lights.

Thanks to you I had two green dots burned into my vision for the rest of my trip down the road. I also didn't see he truck behind you until you'd fucked off.
Similar for me yesterday. Roadie coming through our village with what must have been an 'off road' type light. Made the mistake of looking at it. Dots before the eyes.
And it wasn't even dark. I had no front lights on and had only put the back ones on because they're there and I might as well use the batteries up.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #38 on: 21 February, 2014, 07:57:58 pm »

Proportionally, I see more truly incredibly crap cycling than driving.
FTFY

I think that reading cyclists winge about bad cyclists doesn't do us any harm. I do not like being lumping in with the utter fuckwits mentioned in this thread. They are FuckwitsOnnaBike and would probably be FuckwitsInnaCar if they were driving.
... and would probably kill a few people every year between them.

Unlike the cyclists, who just piss people off a little. Like the rain. Or Radio1.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #39 on: 21 February, 2014, 11:16:33 pm »
I nearly took out a twit who was riding towards me on a  unlighted cycleway  with a red flashing light on his handlebars . Luckily for him I was testing a new 600 lumen front light and was able to miss that said twit .
Remarkably, err, Restrained wording Chris!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #40 on: 22 February, 2014, 08:54:29 am »
Man of peace me :)
the slower you go the more you see

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #41 on: 24 February, 2014, 03:53:18 pm »
The bloke on a racer in full lycra who'd decided to make a contraflow cycle lane out of the narrow pavement in Montpelier Vale. How did he even get there?

I can see why they don't let him ride on the road yet, mind you.
Not especially helpful or mature

« Reply #42 on: 26 February, 2014, 11:45:23 am »
The M25 cyclist. 'nuff said.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #43 on: 11 March, 2014, 08:35:33 am »
Fixie rider going across Cedars Rd/Lavendar Hill junction filming himself with front and rear gopros as he jumped the lights and weaved thru the traffic still travelling across the junction. Twatcockwomble.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #44 on: 11 March, 2014, 08:45:40 am »
The local club rider who was probably towards the end of a long ride, so was probably a bit tired, but still got upset by a bloke in jeans sat on a Japanese City bike overtaking him whilst he free wheeled along.

Cue increase in speed, heroic overtake, building up a gap and then, free wheel. 

Bloke in jeans on Japanese City bike remains at a constant speed (thing is a single speed) and passes once again.

Cue increase in speed, heroic overtake, building up a gap and then, free wheel.

Bloody annoying.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #45 on: 14 March, 2014, 08:22:23 am »
The idiot wobbling along in the gutter on Ampthill Road at 6.30 this morning. No lights. On the wrong side of the road! Oncoming cars were flashing their lights and hooting but he seemed oblivious to it all.
Saw him again this morning. Same as before but in thick fog (though I don't believe the fog was half as thick as him)
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #46 on: 15 March, 2014, 07:48:42 pm »
Myself
My blind lady stoker & I were discussing night riding today as we rode.When I said that I enjoy such rides she pointed out that ALL her riding is night riding.
Sometimes I only open my mouth to change feet. ::-)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #47 on: 15 March, 2014, 07:50:38 pm »
Myself
My blind lady stoker & I were discussing night riding today as we rode.When I said that I enjoy such rides she pointed out that ALL her riding is night riding.

I dunno, I'd have thought a blind stoker would particularly appreciate the lack of cars...

Phil W

« Reply #48 on: 15 March, 2014, 07:55:36 pm »

Myself

It's not though as night riding has a whole difference in the sounds and general ambience as you ride. My blind stoker notices this and often picks up some night sounds long before I do.

« Reply #49 on: 15 March, 2014, 09:24:58 pm »
Your stoker was pulling your leg. Night riding is also about smells, tastes, wind in your face etc. And I am sure the stoker appreciates you driving the tandy.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain