Author Topic: Full Fat Festive 500: Accommodation/Campervan & travel sharing  (Read 5874 times)

Full Fat Festive 500: Accommodation/Campervan & travel sharing
« on: 08 September, 2018, 10:46:08 am »
This thread is for entrants to share their plans.

Accommodation - Bristol is full of it. YHA about 20mins by bike away in the centre.
(Camper)vans - On street parking at the start, just find a spot, no one will be bothered if you are sleeping in there. Access to the HQ (my home) is possible in the evening for use of the facilities. Local restaurants close by. Keys will be safe in my home should you need.

Travel - If you are travelling perhaps a lift share could be arranged.

Luggage can be left in my home if needed. If for some reason you DNF I'll post it to you at cost if you aren't local and have gone straight home. Make sure your luggage is one bag for ease.

Re: Full Fat Festive 500: Accommodation/Campervan & travel sharing
« Reply #1 on: 08 September, 2018, 12:17:46 pm »
Thanks Will  :thumbsup:
Eddington Number 75

Jay_70_One

• Condor Road Club
« Reply #2 on: 10 September, 2018, 09:58:15 am »
This thread is for entrants to share their plans.

Accommodation - Bristol is full of it. YHA about 20mins by bike away in the centre.
(Camper)vans - On street parking at the start, just find a spot, no one will be bothered if you are sleeping in there. Access to the HQ (my home) is possible in the evening for use of the facilities. Local restaurants close by. Keys will be safe in my home should you need.

Travel - If you are travelling perhaps a lift share could be arranged.

Luggage can be left in my home if needed. If for some reason you DNF I'll post it to you at cost if you aren't local and have gone straight home. Make sure your luggage is one bag for ease.
will forgive my laziness, whats the date of this again please?
 :thumbsup:
Don't die wondering...

« Reply #3 on: 10 September, 2018, 01:18:56 pm »
Not wanting to make it too easy, self supported etc....

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-507/

;)

« Reply #4 on: 10 September, 2018, 07:06:27 pm »
You are a generous man, Will. Others would have allowed Big J to wallow in their self-confessed laziness.

« Reply #5 on: 11 September, 2018, 10:57:13 am »
Hand holding ends there....

Jay_70_One

• Condor Road Club
« Reply #6 on: 17 September, 2018, 11:46:32 am »
You are a generous man, Will. Others would have allowed Big J to wallow in their self-confessed laziness.
In the spirit of openness, peace and love.
Don't die wondering...

« Reply #7 on: 18 September, 2018, 08:41:22 am »
I've added this to my strong maybe list :)  Better start preparing for some winter kit.
Frequent Audax and bike ride videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/djrikki2008/videos

« Reply #8 on: 25 October, 2018, 03:33:00 pm »
Looking forward to this one.  Is Mr Curran's RWGPS still about accurate?: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/6680611

Have booked a hotel a couple of miles from the start and another in N'hampton for the Saturday night.  Both surprisingly cheap for the season.

Just need to keep the legs turning between now and then...
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

« Reply #9 on: 27 October, 2018, 04:17:25 pm »
Is Mr Curran's RWGPS still about accurate?

There are some changes but the general outline is good. The final route after all checks etc will be released 2 weeks before, maybe 3. Still goes through Northampton. I'll identify an excellent Indian restaurant that has been a stop on both my rides and gone above and beyond for a bunch of sweaty cyclists whilst dealing with the usual festive customers, also a 24hr MDs on exiting; for those using basic audax hotels  ;)

Lee Killestein

« Reply #10 on: 05 December, 2018, 09:37:21 pm »
Bargain prices for the Saturday night at Northampton Travelodges. £22! Might just end up as a shower and somewhere warm to eat my McDonald’s but on the other hand...

« Reply #11 on: 05 December, 2018, 10:41:39 pm »
Bristol, Northampton, Dec 29

Thank heavens I’ve been invited to Skye

Your all mad;)

« Reply #12 on: 06 December, 2018, 07:46:48 am »
Winslow’s nine miles from me, and our cliub rides go through it a lot. Jennie Wren’s Tea Room (closed down) was a favourite stop. What are the control times for there, in case I’m around?
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #13 on: 07 December, 2018, 01:24:40 pm »
Winslow’s nine miles from me, and our cliub rides go through it a lot. Jennie Wren’s Tea Room (closed down) was a favourite stop. What are the control times for there, in case I’m around?
10:06-15:43

Northampton seems to be the favoured 'overnight' stop. FYI there is a 24hr MDs on approach and exiting so if you are stopping in the middle no need to double back for breakfast.

« Reply #14 on: 10 December, 2018, 07:46:31 pm »
If anyone would like a lift I am travelling down from Durham - so that covers Leeds Manchester Birmingham. I have an air BnB 3 miles from the start with garage cycle storage so all ready to wheel out  n'ride on Saturday AM. There is, IIRC, another room free for £23

« Reply #15 on: 11 December, 2018, 05:20:10 pm »
If anyone would like a lift I am travelling down from Durham - so that covers Leeds Manchester Birmingham. I have an air BnB 3 miles from the start with garage cycle storage so all ready to wheel out  n'ride on Saturday AM. There is, IIRC, another room free for £23

I would be interested in the other room if its still free ??

« Reply #16 on: 11 December, 2018, 09:02:51 pm »
PM sent.

« Reply #17 on: 13 December, 2018, 05:05:40 pm »
I have booked a family room at Northampton Upton Travel lodge £23. @330Km my conservative speed calc get me in at 23:00hrs and leaving  at  04:00hrs. - 1 hour out of time with 40Km to win it back by Gaydon control (470Km). With two single beds anyone who ends up with me at  Northampton and want's somewhere warm to get  a  few hours  zzz is welcome to share. No Snorers!

« Reply #18 on: 03 December, 2019, 11:14:49 am »
Thinking about this and wondering which Travelodge around Northampton is nearest to the route. Is it the Upton Way one mentioned in the previous post?

I would be open to sharing but fail the "no snorers" requirement comprehensively!

« Reply #19 on: 03 December, 2019, 11:48:54 am »
I stayed in the Travel lodge in the town centre last year just off the Route and rights next to MD,s  £22 i think..

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #20 on: 03 December, 2019, 12:21:39 pm »
I stayed here last year: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/21217506

Nice cosy bed in a shed with a place you can keep the bike next the front door just a few scarce minutes from Chez Will. I had a great stay, recommended! It cost me the bargain price of £28 including AirbnB's cut.

Sadly I will be in auld bonnie scotland and can't do the ride but wish everyone giving it a go the best. I really recommend screwing your courage to the sticking place and giving it a crack, even though I only managed just over half last year I had a great time.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

dat

« Reply #21 on: 03 December, 2019, 12:48:49 pm »
Thirty quid to stay in a shed? Bargain!

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #22 on: 03 December, 2019, 12:52:36 pm »
It might be personal to me but I'd rate it above and beyond any hotel. It's quiet, no drunken corridor neighbours barging about at stupid o'clock, you can bring your own food into the kitchen (or just use the excellent greasy burger joint around the corner...), it's not on the arse end of the other side of town and there's no bullshit with a concierge about bringing the bike in or whatever. I don't know who's the Airbnb rep these days but during my stay they were very nice and accommodating. They were an art student studying in town, and living-in rent free.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #23 on: 03 December, 2019, 12:56:55 pm »
It'll probably be an early start for me to get up to Bristol (if the parents are accommodating), but I live close enough for that to be doable. Don't particularly fancy doing an ECE at this point!

Nor do I reckon on bucking the trend with midway point, Northampton sounds good.

« Reply #24 on: 03 December, 2019, 04:55:58 pm »
It's routed A4500 in and out of Northampton. You can choose which way to go round the ring to suit but I route it north.