Author Topic: Ketogenic diet - fad or phenom?  (Read 201400 times)

Re: Ketogenic diet - fad or phenom?
« Reply #1000 on: 04 January, 2019, 11:51:34 am »
Good article in the guardian about the modern-day obsession with boosting protein intake (particularly the use of protein powders). My younger stepkids use the stuff; they hardly exercise and eat substantial amounts of meat. Ridiculous, they don't need additional protein. They are candidates for rabbit starvation.

I agree with you about the simplicity of supermarket shopping (when on a clear and simple diet), Chris.
I'm much, much better for reducing my refined carbs. Previous (at 'home') diet included a lot of pasta (gluten-free, so worse than standard), rice and potatoes.

I don't eat any pasta now. Rice noodles in small quantities per meal (maybe 1/4 by volume of a meal). Rice ditto. Seldom any potatoes. Some muesli for breakfast.

I don't need my omeprazole anymore. If I stick to the 'reduced' carb diet, then I don't get heartburn. I'm slimmer.

Healthy protein intake is a challenge, as I'm a cheese addict. I love good cheese. Have to consciously make myself shop for fish and cook it or I'd just eat cheese for protein (along with eggs, seeds and pulses).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

LMT

« Reply #1001 on: 04 January, 2019, 07:28:18 pm »

LMT

« Reply #1002 on: 04 January, 2019, 07:31:26 pm »
Good article in the guardian about the modern-day obsession with boosting protein intake (particularly the use of protein powders). My younger stepkids use the stuff; they hardly exercise and eat substantial amounts of meat. Ridiculous, they don't need additional protein. They are candidates for rabbit starvation.

I agree with you about the simplicity of supermarket shopping (when on a clear and simple diet), Chris.
I'm much, much better for reducing my refined carbs. Previous (at 'home') diet included a lot of pasta (gluten-free, so worse than standard), rice and potatoes.

I don't eat any pasta now. Rice noodles in small quantities per meal (maybe 1/4 by volume of a meal). Rice ditto. Seldom any potatoes. Some muesli for breakfast.

I don't need my omeprazole anymore. If I stick to the 'reduced' carb diet, then I don't get heartburn. I'm slimmer.

Healthy protein intake is a challenge, as I'm a cheese addict. I love good cheese. Have to consciously make myself shop for fish and cook it or I'd just eat cheese for protein (along with eggs, seeds and pulses).

Should come with a health warning, whey protein has been shown to be as insulinogenic as glucose.

« Reply #1003 on: 04 January, 2019, 08:19:29 pm »

Should come with a health warning, whey protein has been shown to be as insulinogenic as glucose.

and not a single one of us needs extra protein unless you are a bodybuilder ... just a way of selling supplements no one needs

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1004 on: 04 January, 2019, 08:30:54 pm »
If you read the whole article, it suggests that the elderly and frail (IIRC it said 80s+) do sometimes suffer lack of protein, even on a Western diet, cos they need more g per kg bodyweight. Though it didn't give a figure.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1005 on: 04 January, 2019, 08:32:10 pm »
If you read the whole article, it suggests that the elderly and frail (IIRC it said 80s+) do sometimes suffer lack of protein, even on a Western diet, cos they need more g per kg bodyweight. Though it didn't give a figure.

Then just eat more eggs and meat

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1006 on: 04 January, 2019, 08:34:25 pm »
Yes – I didn't mean to suggest they might need supplements. Nor did the article.

« Reply #1007 on: 04 January, 2019, 08:36:03 pm »
Of course the biggest laugh is to see protein mars bars !

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #1008 on: 04 January, 2019, 10:12:12 pm »
Protein Mars bars! Haha! This reminds me of something really odd!
Some 10  plus years ago, I was away on an MTB weekend with the local club. I used to wear one of those " bum bags" ( still do) for keys, wallet snacks etc. It was a very hot weekend, and for some reason, in my bum bag, was a Mars bar. We all sat down for a while after a long climb, and took in the view. I didn't realise that I had leant back, and squashed the mars bar inside the bag. Later in the ride I got a bit peckish and retrieved said chocolate bar. What a surprise, instead of a chunky bar, it was flat and thin, like a Meuseli bar. It had hardened up by now and was perfect , but different, and even the wrapping was intact. So I ate it. Well, what can I say. The sensation was completely different. Gone was the feeling of filling your face with a wadge  of choco, but instead a thin delicate wisp of a thing to be nibbled. I kid you not, if the marketing boys and girls at Mars had tried this, it would have been a sensation. "Be good to yourself, heathly choco bar" is what it screamed out to me, yet I knew what it was. The mind is a powerful force, but it can be fooled by cleverness.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1009 on: 05 January, 2019, 08:36:17 am »
I've also had a melted-squashed-solidified Mars bar (well, who hasn't?) and yes it is different. Not sure about healthy but less sweet somehow.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1010 on: 05 January, 2019, 05:50:10 pm »
IMHO anything that slows the rate of Mars consumption is a benefit.

Adverts for Mars during WWII picture them sliced.

A couple of Mars slices (?10g) won't kill you as quickly as a diet of 50g bars...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1011 on: 05 January, 2019, 06:46:43 pm »
Slicing must have been a good way to make your ration last longer. Doesn't alter the consistency in the same way as squashing though.

« Reply #1012 on: 05 January, 2019, 07:33:27 pm »

In your selective reading that is.

My parents and grandparents all lived to 80 plus, without benefit of gyms or specific diets. They, as Ian recommends, ate a balanced diet. They also, unlike me, didn’t eat or drink too much.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1013 on: 05 January, 2019, 09:01:31 pm »
Slicing must have been a good way to make your ration last longer. Doesn't alter the consistency in the same way as squashing though.

Indeed but it does increase the surface area of the confection to taste and savour.

Cadbury's seem to have mastered the art of increasing chocolate's surface area to substance ratio with their Flake, Twirl and Wispa bars.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1014 on: 05 January, 2019, 09:15:08 pm »
Good point, surface area hadn't occurred to me.

« Reply #1015 on: 06 January, 2019, 12:26:56 pm »
On food intake, we’ve just been given a set of Pyrex dishes by sues mum. They’re from the 60s or 70s I suspect and a tiny compared to today’s norms for family cooking.

The stew dish is bigger than the crumble dish.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1016 on: 06 January, 2019, 01:43:16 pm »
[OT but...]

Use them for microwaving vegetables. Very good for keto-friendly brassicas...

« Reply #1017 on: 06 January, 2019, 06:01:36 pm »

My parents and grandparents all lived to 80 plus, without benefit of gyms or specific diets. They, as Ian recommends, ate a balanced diet. They also, unlike me, didn’t eat or drink too much.

Well their diets were far less carb based though ? Remember the  guidance for lowering fats only came about in the 70’s

LMT

« Reply #1018 on: 06 January, 2019, 06:35:16 pm »

What selective reading? It's research that has been done. Whey back in the day was classed as a waste product, with a clampdown on environmental waste this was then repackaged and sold as a health product to idiots people who thought it aided in recovery and muscle growth, but really - it's shite.

The stuff regarding your grandparents is ancedotal.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1019 on: 06 January, 2019, 06:55:05 pm »
Go back further and it was usually eaten, both in its own right and used as a base for other products. Goes well with potatoes, for instance, and used as the basis for certain white cheeses and with yeast for drop scone-type things.

« Reply #1020 on: 07 January, 2019, 09:00:55 am »
From an agricultural perspective, whey is pig food. Mix it with grains to mush and they'll lap it up. Makes them lovely and fat. Tasty :)

« Reply #1021 on: 07 January, 2019, 09:02:18 am »
From an agricultural perspective, whey is pig food. Mix it with grains to mush and they'll lap it up. Makes them lovely and fat. Tasty :)

Yes it does do that ... and yet grains promoted as good for humans ?

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1022 on: 07 January, 2019, 09:54:32 am »
My partner and I are back on low carb again. We both feel so much better on it, although it’s tricky to stick to sometimes (because of dessert choice - I have no issues with main meals, low carb ones are really tasty).

Over Christmas we stayed with my Mum and ate normal carb food (we ate low carb at home over the whole of last year). We both discovered we have about double the poop volume when on carbs, and we also feel more tired and regularly hungry. We both decided we prefer life low carb, where you have consistent energy and few hunger pangs. After six days we are already feeling the benefits.

The tricky thing for me is the two ladies in my office both have thyroid issues and eat constantly (although are stick thin). They bring in pastries every day, or biscuits. I cannot eat  these in moderation, and the carbs make me hungry again after an hour, so I am just saying no to any of it. They seem to find this difficult, but I don’t. Feeling good on Keto is worth having to occasionally say no to pastries.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

whosatthewheel

« Reply #1024 on: 08 January, 2019, 02:26:37 pm »
We both discovered we have about double the poop volume when on carbs,

I was always led to believe it is a good thing.