Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1611725 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #9875 on: 29 March, 2018, 09:39:55 am »
Duracell "child-proof" CR2032 packs are damn near adult-proof as well.  Needed scissors and a trimming knife to get in. Twats.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9876 on: 29 March, 2018, 01:23:17 pm »
Duracell "child-proof" CR2032 packs are damn near adult-proof as well.  Needed scissors and a trimming knife to get in. Twats.

I sustained a stabbing injury getting at one of those the other week.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9877 on: 29 March, 2018, 03:00:10 pm »
Nanny marketing strikes again.  Let the wretches choke if they're daft enough eat the buggering things, say I.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9878 on: 29 March, 2018, 03:22:34 pm »
Nanny marketing strikes again.  Let the wretches choke if they're daft enough eat the buggering things, say I.

To be fair, the hazard is much worse than choking.  The voltage is high enough to cause Chemistry to happen on the surface, allowing the cell to hydrolyse its way through important tissues in a matter of hours.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9879 on: 29 March, 2018, 03:42:13 pm »
Oh goody!

« Reply #9880 on: 29 March, 2018, 06:16:31 pm »
Over the last 6 months I've got my "new" manager thoroughly housetrained & used to doing what he's told to.    So now the buggers got another (better paid) job & I'll have to g through the whole process again  ::-)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #9881 on: 29 March, 2018, 07:05:27 pm »

I've had a "sharp plastic packaging under a thumbnail" injury from those before.  Worse than any scissors in my view
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #9882 on: 29 March, 2018, 08:58:31 pm »
Over the last 6 months I've got my "new" manager thoroughly housetrained & used to doing what he's told to.    So now the buggers got another (better paid) job & I'll have to g through the whole process again  ::-)

Why not stop being the middleman and DIY?  ;)
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #9883 on: 30 March, 2018, 10:30:58 am »

Why not stop being the middleman and DIY?  ;)

Due to the way our pay scales are set up I'd probably lose money.  Most of the people he was managing were earning more than he was!

Plus I really don't want a company mobile & to be on call 24/7.    They've already asked me to be on call on a goodwill basis & I said we've got agreed allowances for that..... ::-)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #9884 on: 30 March, 2018, 10:49:28 am »
No, don't become the bottom rung of management.  The bottom rung is the one that they slash away when they want to be rid of bodies.   Also, it's the rung where the shit settles from on high.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #9885 on: 30 March, 2018, 01:03:02 pm »
Last weds 21st I placed an order for FTTC, and got an acknowledgment that my service would swap (same provider) on the 28th. I opted to get the “free” modem as well. Yesterday (26th) I get am email saying my modem will be despatched today, with a 3-5 day delivery. So that leaves me with no service for anything from 2 days to 4+, depending on the whim of RM. Just as well my existing modem is suitable for FTTC then.

Oh no it won't, as BT/Openretch will not actually install your service on the day they have an appointment for.  They need to ignore at least 4 appointments before they actually install anything, and that's after several emails to the CEO of Openretch (Mr Clive Selley  clive.selley@openreach.co.uk )  They get added points if by doing so they leave a lone woman in a house in the middle of nowhere snowed in for a week with no phone or internet.  Utter bastards, I hope every one of them dies horribly and painfully.  BT and Openreach should be stripped of their franchise/monopoly and all of their office staff prevented from ever working anywhere where customers depend on them.
Wombat

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9886 on: 30 March, 2018, 04:46:59 pm »

CR 2016s are either the same or worse.

Had to get David to extract this from package...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9887 on: 30 March, 2018, 04:48:29 pm »

To be fair, the hazard is much worse than choking.  The voltage is high enough to cause Chemistry to happen on the surface, allowing the cell to hydrolyse its way through important tissues in a matter of hours.

indeed.

These cells have killed quite a few kids.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #9888 on: 30 March, 2018, 09:31:00 pm »
Last weds 21st I placed an order for FTTC, and got an acknowledgment that my service would swap (same provider) on the 28th. I opted to get the “free” modem as well. Yesterday (26th) I get am email saying my modem will be despatched today, with a 3-5 day delivery. So that leaves me with no service for anything from 2 days to 4+, depending on the whim of RM. Just as well my existing modem is suitable for FTTC then.

Oh no it won't, as BT/Openretch will not actually install your service on the day they have an appointment for.  They need to ignore at least 4 appointments before they actually install anything, and that's after several emails to the CEO of Openretch (Mr Clive Selley  clive.selley@openreach.co.uk )  They get added points if by doing so they leave a lone woman in a house in the middle of nowhere snowed in for a week with no phone or internet.  Utter bastards, I hope every one of them dies horribly and painfully.  BT and Openreach should be stripped of their franchise/monopoly and all of their office staff prevented from ever working anywhere where customers depend on them.
Two things, but first a disclaimer. I’ve got 40 years this summer working for BT, but what I say here is my own thoughts and not company policy. In any case, at Ofcoms insistence at the behest of BTs competitors,  Openreach is now a separate entity from BT
1. You don’t know how sad it makes me hearing you slag off BT/Openreach. Most of the people I know would be similarly affected by hearing of such poor service, especially the lifers like me. Yes it’s the tech that gets many of us into the industry, but it’s not long before you realise that customer service is what the business is all about and any of us that want to see the business thrive WANT to make sure the best customer service is delivered.
2. It’s somewhat ironic that you call out the monopoly (no franchise in the utilities) as the issue, because it is the privatisation and introduction of false completion in the utilities that have both reduced the investment in core infrastructure & innovation as well as customer service reduced to levels supported by cost saving measures.

All utilities are by their very nature natural monopolies with the best service and technological advancements being delivered by a state controlled provider. Indeed, did you know that BT had developments in place, planned while it was still whole owned by the government, to install fibre to EVERY premises of the land. We even had the factories built to manufacture the line termination equipment. But Margret Thatcher vetoed the plans because it would prove too be a disincentive to the Americans coming over here and investing in alternative networks. (Does anyone remember any alternative network providers? Yep, they’re lined up right next to the alternative power and gas networks)

I could go into more details about how privatisation destroyed service levels, or stifled research and development and introduction of technological advancements, but I’d need to proved proper referencing to do it justice, and I really don’t want to go into all that here. 
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #9889 on: 31 March, 2018, 09:47:58 am »
Is there a name for the Law which states "Ultimate culpability for anything that can possibly go wrong lies squarely with Margaret Thatcher"?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #9890 on: 31 March, 2018, 09:57:45 am »
Is there a name for the Law which states "Ultimate culpability for anything that can possibly go wrong lies squarely with Margaret Thatcher"?
clarion's law.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #9891 on: 31 March, 2018, 03:42:36 pm »

Tory party policy.

« Reply #9892 on: 31 March, 2018, 07:41:48 pm »
I have the builders in. They promised to leave a working kitchen. And they have, but not working lights. Or heating.

I am currently making pizza by headtorch.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #9893 on: 01 April, 2018, 08:37:50 am »
Why is it that when you buy stuff online they automatically sign you up to their avalanche of shite email? 

Please, let "NO THANKS, KEEP YOUR CRAP, I AM REALLY NOT INTERESTED" be the default.

It should be opt in, not opt out.   A bit of respect wouldn't go amiss.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #9894 on: 01 April, 2018, 01:51:17 pm »
Why is it that when you buy stuff online they automatically sign you up to their avalanche of shite email? 

Please, let "NO THANKS, KEEP YOUR CRAP, I AM REALLY NOT INTERESTED" be the default.

It should be opt in, not opt out.   A bit of respect wouldn't go amiss.
As of 25th May there is an EU wide requirement that there is an explicit opt in to allow marketeers to send you their spam with significant fines a possibility for those organisations that ignore this. As of next March, is expect that this will be dropped in the UK...
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #9895 on: 01 April, 2018, 03:28:19 pm »

Two things, but first a disclaimer. I’ve got 40 years this summer working for BT, but what I say here is my own thoughts and not company policy. In any case, at Ofcoms insistence at the behest of BTs competitors,  Openreach is now a separate entity from BT
1. You don’t know how sad it makes me hearing you slag off BT/Openreach. Most of the people I know would be similarly affected by hearing of such poor service, especially the lifers like me. Yes it’s the tech that gets many of us into the industry, but it’s not long before you realise that customer service is what the business is all about and any of us that want to see the business thrive WANT to make sure the best customer service is delivered.
2. It’s somewhat ironic that you call out the monopoly (no franchise in the utilities) as the issue, because it is the privatisation and introduction of false completion in the utilities that have both reduced the investment in core infrastructure & innovation as well as customer service reduced to levels supported by cost saving measures.

All utilities are by their very nature natural monopolies with the best service and technological advancements being delivered by a state controlled provider. Indeed, did you know that BT had developments in place, planned while it was still whole owned by the government, to install fibre to EVERY premises of the land. We even had the factories built to manufacture the line termination equipment. But Margret Thatcher vetoed the plans because it would prove too be a disincentive to the Americans coming over here and investing in alternative networks. (Does anyone remember any alternative network providers? Yep, they’re lined up right next to the alternative power and gas networks)

I could go into more details about how privatisation destroyed service levels, or stifled research and development and introduction of technological advancements, but I’d need to proved proper referencing to do it justice, and I really don’t want to go into all that here.

The engineers were great, but puzzled as to why they were sent at spurious times to achieve nothing.  Their office couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery or find their arse with both hands, and as for their attitude to appointments, I don't have words foul enough.  As for Openreach being a separate entity, yeah, sure it is...  (Yes I know it is in theory, but I just can't bring myself to believe it, from the way they behave).  There is no competition, because BT/Openreach refuse to release their infrastructure (I thought they legally had to, these days)  The Welsh Govt gave them many millions to provide the fibre service, which they have totally failed to do.  Well I've got it at last, but I don't know anyone else who has (no, I don't know everybody, but I've met pretty well everyone in the village, and many other villages nearby).  How pointless is it for them to spend money installing a fibre line up from the village, only to fail to connect users, thus failing to earn money on their/the Welsh Govt's investment?  In my previous location, Virgin and its predecessors invested their own money to provide the entire infrastructure, so made efforts to connect as many people as possible, ASAP.

Yes, I appreciate how sad this makes you, all those years of loyalty by many worthy staff being utterly wasted by complete numpties with no concept of customer service or responsibility.  I still think completely dismantling BT is the only way to fix it.
Wombat

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #9896 on: 01 April, 2018, 10:25:36 pm »
Do you mean like the railways, or the water industry or perhaps the electricity. No? The gas then. Hiving off the core network doesn’t work unless it’s government controlled. The operating companies whinge and whine that the core charges them too much for service, and ALWAYS blames them for all delays or problems. The government thus imposes cost controls on the core which causes a further cut in service provion and greater reductions in infrastructure.

You can’t have completion in utility provision, because no one is going to provide a universal competing network let alone several companies. If you have free completion you end up with the profitable bits, ie cities with densly packed populaces having multiple providers and sparsely populated regions having reduced or none existent service. Ask an American in the wilds of Alaska what broadband speed they get.

As for Virgin, just where have they spent their money providing networks? That’ll be the cities.

Even the mobile operators share infrastructure outside of the big cities as it’s just not viable to provide their own.

How many villages are there with no gas, even close to populated areas? Do you have mains gas?

As I say, I am desperately sorry that you are suffering problems, and that the organisation can’t sort it out, it really shouldn’t be difficult, but believe me it is. But I also KNOW that the only way to improve service and rollout new technologies in a timely way is for all the utilities to be single entities controlled by the government. If you a cite one single country in the world where true free enterprise provision of utilities has resulted in a universal service of world leading technologies I’d really really like to know.

Oh, and you mention the government paying BT to provide fibre roll out to sparsely populated areas. That was put out to private tender, and In the last round only BT actually put a bid in to do the work and I suspect even then it was reluctantly. It costs a lot of money and is hard to provide firbe coverage.

« Reply #9897 on: 02 April, 2018, 05:38:30 pm »
I may be a complete ignoramus, but I didn't think that Virgin provided a complete infrastructure. Don't they just run fibre or copper from major (BT/Openreach) exchanges into the houses/offices? Same for the other ISPs.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #9898 on: 02 April, 2018, 05:49:04 pm »
Virgin own the cable network built by NTL and Telewest way back when, which I believe is entirely separate from the BT infrastructure, although I think they'll sell you *DSL internet access too if you're not in a cable area.

ian

« Reply #9899 on: 02 April, 2018, 05:58:41 pm »
Virgin did buy up the NTL, Mercury and other networks, and let any unprofitable bits slide (they won't, for instance, connect our house despite a old NT cable run at the bottom of the drive). As others have said, they'll only do if it's likely to be profitable. BT/Openreach on the other hand are obliged.