Author Topic: Does anyone have a 1st generation Campag Record l/f rear track hub?  (Read 1121 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
If so, could you please tell me the diameter of the dustcaps?  May be 28 or 29mm so you'll need calipers. Fronts are just over 24mm.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Re: Does anyone have a 1st generation Campag Record l/f rear track hub?
« Reply #1 on: 13 February, 2019, 10:08:49 pm »
the dustcaps and bearing inserts etc are the same on 1036 pista hub as on 1035 strada hubs.  The size (in the rear hub) is slightly smaller than that found in the cheaper (eg tipo) hubs. 

I have a loose bearing insert somewhere I can measure if you like. The dustcap fits the same diameter but measures a gnat's over that, because it is springy and a push fit into the hubshell.

cheers

« Reply #2 on: 13 February, 2019, 10:12:37 pm »
If you mean the pre 1986 Nuovo Record version with the rounded cutouts, then the rear dustcap is the same for all versions of the Nuovo Record rear hub (LF, SF, road, track), part number 740.

I just measured my NR s/f rear road hub and it's 27.5mm. That's measured with the dustcap inserted in the hub, you would need the dustcap by itself to get a proper measurement.

« Reply #3 on: 13 February, 2019, 10:24:12 pm »
Actually, the very last production of the Nuovo Record hubs had flat dustcaps instead of domed, at least in the small flange road hubs, but still the same size.

rogerzilla

« Reply #4 on: 13 February, 2019, 10:36:29 pm »
Yes, these are the hubs with six oval cutouts, not the later "sheriff star" C-Record hubs.  Pretty sure 28mm is the size, then.  I don't have the hub here but I've found the dustcaps on sale quite cheaply (1/4 the usual price) and occasionally they get bent or are already bent.  I have a technique for removing them (and SA dustcaps) which works 90% of the time.

Thanks for everyone's help.

« Reply #5 on: 13 February, 2019, 10:57:57 pm »
I've just measured some spare Nuovo Record bearing inserts and rear is 28.00mm and front is 24.50mm.

FWIW there is almost no point in removing the dustcaps unless you are intending to renew or regrind the insert; pretty much everything else you need to do can be done with the dustcap in place.

cheers

rogerzilla

« Reply #6 on: 23 February, 2019, 06:41:22 pm »
Argh!  They come in different depths too!  The Record ones are much deeper than others.  Anyone know a good source?  I refitted the old ones, which I didn't damage, but they were already slightly scratched.

« Reply #7 on: 23 February, 2019, 09:17:37 pm »
I've found the dustcaps on sale quite cheaply (1/4 the usual price)

Are they original Campagnolo dustcaps, or maybe made by another manufacturer for their own hubs?

Might be generic replacements as well.

You could push them in partially so they're flush on the outside. Or use the old ones with the slight scratch.

« Reply #8 on: 24 February, 2019, 12:00:46 am »
the standard dustcaps don't locate on anything; they need to be set to a depth that 'looks right' and to run true.

It is very easy to deform them during removal and it is quite difficult to get them set perfectly again even if they are still in good shape.  If you take them in and out of the hub a few times the fit tends to get a bit baggy and because the shape of the things, they are not easy to re-flare to make them a snug fit again. If the dustcaps are set to the wrong depth or run out (even slightly) then the net result is a hub that just looks terrible when it is on the bike.

Hence it is certainly easiest if you leave them alone unless you really don't have any choice in the matter; since the bearing surfaces  can be both cleaned and inspected without disturbing the dustcaps, one is arguably just making a load of extra work for oneself by taking them out.

cheers

rogerzilla

« Reply #9 on: 24 February, 2019, 08:34:38 am »
They go in easier if you pop the hub shell in the oven first.  Obviously.no good if the hub is built into a wheel.  The Record caps are deeper and go in straight without any real trouble.