Author Topic: Road bike for 8 year old  (Read 9544 times)

Road bike for 8 year old
« on: 12 January, 2012, 03:55:13 pm »
Als all the rage nowadays is for kids to ride mountain bikes.

My 8 year old has expressed an interest in having a road bike, something I'd be keen to encourage. I wonder though whether 8 is too young for a road bike, whether they will just end up flat on their butts or head first over the handlebars all the time.

Any news, views etc?

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Re: Road bike for 8 year old
« Reply #1 on: 12 January, 2012, 03:58:10 pm »
Islabike, 24" wheels.... you KNOW you want to!

http://www.islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/luath24.html

« Reply #2 on: 12 January, 2012, 10:06:25 pm »
Because I ride a road bike my 8 year old was very keen to get one too.

We relented last year when he was still just 9 and a suitable Islabike Luath 700 Small pitched up on eBay. About £500 new, we picked it up (and it's a bit scratched in places) for £260.

Shame on me I haven't managed to post a review of it on here yet.

It's a very neat piece of kit and he loves it. Simon L3 accompanied mini-hatler on it from the top of Ditchling Beacon to Brighton and seemed to think the bike was well within his control.

Gwan, you know you he wants to.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #3 on: 12 January, 2012, 10:09:15 pm »
I should have said, the 26" wheeled Luath would prob be a better bet for an 8 year old, but check the Islabike sizing chart first.

Note also that we found with the Beinn 26 we bought that mini-hatler needed the saddle raised up about 1" from the lowest it could go even though his inside leg wasn't quite at the minimum per the chart. He did crunch his nads on the top tube though.
Rust never sleeps

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #4 on: 12 January, 2012, 10:26:08 pm »
That does rather depend on the size of one's 8yo thobut!  The Luath 26 is just about small enough for the EldestCub - who is 10.  And only a squeak on the small side for me, who is rather more that that....

« Reply #5 on: 13 January, 2012, 08:14:56 am »
cheers guys, appreciated.

« Reply #6 on: 13 January, 2012, 09:40:38 am »
I should have said, the 26" wheeled Luath would prob be a better bet for an 8 year old, but check the Islabike sizing chart first.

Note also that we found with the Beinn 26 we bought that mini-hatler needed the saddle raised up about 1" from the lowest it could go even though his inside leg wasn't quite at the minimum per the chart. He did crunch his nads on the top tube though.
Typo there, I meant the 24"
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #7 on: 02 February, 2012, 03:40:58 pm »
Panic over!  Panic over!  Your bike's on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Junior-Childs-Road-Bike-First-Road-Bike-junior-racing-Triathlon-/290663754255?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item43ace8ea0f#ht_500wt_1361

Happy bidding.

I bought a 24" wheel Peugeot for my 10 year old off eBay.  It'd belonged to a guy who's built it up for his daughter, but unfortunately he wasn't quick enough and by the time he'd finished, she was too big.  My boy's very keen on his bike.  It's a shame that the swish of smooth tyres on tarmac has died out - both my children love it.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #8 on: 05 September, 2012, 11:01:51 pm »
I have a 20" wheel road bike in the garage which is possibly a bit small for the wee lad. The up side is that it is in good condition, complete with cross style supplementary brake levers. The downside is that it has chrome rims in an oddball size (but new schwalbe tyres on).

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes