Author Topic: Incredible damage to a car done in a collision with a cyclist.  (Read 8273 times)

Below are some pictures of a Ford Fiesta that was in a collision with a Cyclist !

:(
Rich

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
Re: If you ever needed a reason to wear a helmet !
« Reply #1 on: 17 May, 2008, 12:46:17 am »
Hmm, if my head hit a car windscreen on the edge of the frame a cycle helmet would make **** all difference to the outcome, I would be dead.

As for my head hitting a car windscreen somewhere in the middle, BTDT, without a helmet. From memory, my head had one very small cut from a piece of glass stuck in the corner of my face.

UPDATED: The picture that was originally displayed showed the edge of a windscreen (broken) where the frame was dented.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 17 May, 2008, 12:50:30 am »
Looks more like an arse hit the bonnet than a head.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #3 on: 17 May, 2008, 01:07:33 am »

I'm told it was actually a shoulder .
Rich

« Reply #4 on: 17 May, 2008, 01:12:32 am »
Hmm, if my head hit a car windscreen on the edge of the frame a cycle helmet would make **** all difference to the outcome, I would be dead.

As for my head hitting a car windscreen somewhere in the middle, BTDT, without a helmet. From memory, my head had one very small cut from a piece of glass stuck in the corner of my face.

UPDATED: The picture that was originally displayed showed the edge of a windscreen (broken) where the frame was dented.
You may well be right , but I personally would rather take my chances with a helmet than without.But my main reason for posting these pictures was to remind us all just how vulnerable we are on the roads and to show you what I consider to be an incredible amount of damage to this car.Considering I have seen vehicles with much less damage that have been in collision with Horses or cows!
Rich

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #5 on: 17 May, 2008, 01:15:15 am »
I'd rather be vulnerable on the roads than vulnerable in a comfy chair from a heart attack.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #6 on: 17 May, 2008, 01:18:51 am »

You may well be right , but I personally would rather take my chances with a helmet than without.But my main reason for posting these pictures was to remind us all just how vulnerable we are on the roads and to show you what I consider to be an incredible amount of damage to this car.Considering I have seen vehicles with much less damage that have been in collision with Horses or cows!

I know how vulnerable I am, because of that I don't go up the inside of long vehicles, I don't go fast up the inside of stationary traffic, when I go down the outside of stationary traffic I always expect vehicles & pedestrians to pull out. I don't go through red lights or do other stupid things.

I see plenty of cyclists every day who wear helmets & reflective gear yet go straight through red lights, go down gaps that can only disappear if vehicles move, don't bother with lights when it's dark, don't bother looking before changing lanes etc.

Cycling safely and with an awareness of what is around me will have a huge effect on my safety. Wearing a helmet will have as much effect as carrying a voodoo talisman.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #7 on: 17 May, 2008, 05:43:17 am »
Have to agree with that. My first thoughts when I saw the photos were who was cycling and or driving without due care and attention.

Of course in more than 60 years of cycling I have never owned a helmet ;D
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #8 on: 17 May, 2008, 08:47:30 am »
Zipperhead, wise words indeed.

In my more cyclical moments I refer to helmets as Sky Fairy Lids on account of their effectiveness combined with the zeal with which they are promoted.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #9 on: 17 May, 2008, 08:52:58 am »
I expect the car driver is, at this very moment, ranting on about cyclists not needing third party insurance.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 17 May, 2008, 09:00:21 am »

My thoughts too.  Perhaps we need body armour at all times ::-)

I thought this thread was going to be about Boris Johnson... :(
Getting there...

« Reply #11 on: 17 May, 2008, 09:09:38 am »
These photos are probably not it, because helmets are not designed for impacts with motor vehicles, and usually come with disclaimers about not being suitable for such.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #12 on: 17 May, 2008, 09:30:08 am »

With respect, why a helmet to protect a shoulder?

I wear a helmet but for one good reason.  I don't get along with caps and I need a decent peak to provide shade for my faulty eyes.   I'm overly light sensitive.   I'm not going to wear one of those gross golfers peaks either.

My helmet has come into play twice where there has been an interface between head and ground.   The first time the helmet actually split, the second a chunk came out, apparent as it fell apart in my hands after I'd removed it.   I guess it did it's job to a degree but not being able to scientifically analyse the with / without, trajectory, impact, etc. I wouldn't really know.

Re: Incredible damage to a car done in a collision with a cyclist.
« Reply #13 on: 17 May, 2008, 11:35:15 am »
I have changed the title to this thread , as it was not my intention to re-start the helmet debate or disscuss cycling safety.I just wanted to show you how badly damaged this car was after a collision with a cyclist.

:-[
Rich

« Reply #14 on: 17 May, 2008, 11:35:52 am »
I'd rather be vulnerable on the roads than vulnerable in a comfy chair from a heart attack.
ME to !

;D
Rich

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #15 on: 17 May, 2008, 11:36:40 am »
Well the car was prety much owned :D  How was the rider?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #16 on: 17 May, 2008, 11:37:05 am »
Have to agree with that. My first thoughts when I saw the photos were who was cycling and or driving without due care and attention.

Of course in more than 60 years of cycling I have never owned a helmet ;D
It would seem that the cyclist was at fault seeing as he rode off a pavement out in front of the car.
Rich

« Reply #17 on: 17 May, 2008, 11:39:42 am »
As far as I know apart from a badly damaged shoulder ok.

Rich

« Reply #18 on: 17 May, 2008, 11:47:54 am »
I have changed the title to this thread , as it was not my intention to re-start the helmet debate or disscuss cycling safety.I just wanted to show you how badly damaged this car was after a collision with a cyclist.

:-[

Okey dokey  :thumbsup:

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #19 on: 17 May, 2008, 11:50:01 am »
 :thumbsup:  Good move and thanks for the update on his condition.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #20 on: 17 May, 2008, 11:58:56 am »
My older daughter once broke a car windscreen with her head. She was in her second year at Uni at the time. She stepped off a pavement in front of a moving car. Technically that makes it her fault, but:-

my daughter has very poor sight in her left eye;
it was raining at the time and she had taken her glasses off in order to be able to see better.

The car was moving very slowly, fortunately, and she was struck from behind. In effect, she did an involuntary backward roll across the bonnet and the back of her head made a perfect head-shaped dent in the windscreen. She was given the all-clear by Coventry casualty dept and sent away with hearty congratulations form the doctor she saw, who told her that she had the most spherical cranium of anyone he had ever examined and this undoubtedly helped her break the windscreen whilst remaining undamaged herself.

She has ongoing ligament problems in her knees and ankles which she attributes to tis mishap.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #21 on: 17 May, 2008, 12:10:15 pm »

I thought this thread was going to be about Boris Johnson... :(

I think the dent would have been more substantial had Boris been the cyclist.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #22 on: 17 May, 2008, 01:41:27 pm »

I can't believe it took until page 2 before this question was asked!

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #23 on: 17 May, 2008, 01:54:01 pm »
Hello

Well it goes to show how hard the human body is.

So whose 'fault' was the accident?

Zoidburg

« Reply #24 on: 17 May, 2008, 02:11:23 pm »
Good grief

Did he hit Fatters?

*runs*