Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Online quizzes / Re: Wordle
« Last post by Robh on Today at 12:11:28 am »
Wordle 1,056 2/6

⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Ctrl-Alt-Del / Re: The computing stuff rant thread
« Last post by chopstick on Today at 12:04:13 am »
This time it's effing Android that's peeing me off.  They've locked in file access so much that I have no control over my own phone.  I used to copy gpx files over to my phone from the pc so that I could load them into Osmand.  Now I cannot access/copy & paste to/from the folders that Osmand can read, either on the pc or on the phone but I can copy the files over to another folder then whilst in Osmand, import them from the other folder.

Not sure what went on but I used to be able to copy gpx files over from my phone to my Garmin "New Files" folder using an "on the fly" (USB C to USB A female) adapter and a USB A to micro USB lead - meaning that I didn't need a data signal (to upload it to Garmin Connect and then sync to my Garmin device) to get a course onto my Garmin.  I couldn't do that tonight either.  As it happens, I'm at home and have a data signal but I do like to try these things periodically so that when I'm in the middle of nowhere without a data signal, I can still get courses onto my Garmin.  Now I can't  >:(
Folders / Re: Just the tikit?
« Last post by fd3 on Yesterday at 11:42:02 pm »
I it possible to tell point 2) from this picture?
https://www.cyclechat.net/attachments/img_20231029_130116-jpg.711689
I contacted BF who very quickly got back to me to say about the red dot on the stem - but nothing about what to do if it's absent
The Pub / Re: Investing in whisky - maybe a scam?
« Last post by chrisbainbridge on Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm »
I think the food program on radio 4 covered this last year. I certainly heard a radio 4 program about the subject. Basically 99% of these are scams. Unless you own the whole barrel you cannot get your share until everyone agrees for example.
Arts and Entertainment / Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Last post by fd3 on Yesterday at 11:35:57 pm »
Roadside picnic.  Already half way through and feel like I have only just glanced at it (and that the story has yet to start).  So both good and not so much.
That's the book that the film 'Stalker' is based on isn't it? If the film (which I like a lot) is anything to go by, I'm not surprised that it's a slow burner.
The very same.  A longish afterward talking about how hard it was to publish and how this version is back o the original text before it was heavily censored.
OT Knowledge / Re: Hanging guitars on the wall
« Last post by IanDG on Yesterday at 11:32:12 pm »
If this is a humidity and temperature-controlled room then hang away to your heart’s delight. If not then be very careful how far and how quickly you change the room’s air. A north-facing room will naturally be more stable than a south-facing room.

House is insulated to f*** and temperature/humidity are pretty constant. Ok, I'm jut lucky ( I didn't realise it was a factor).
The Pub / Re: Tune Association II - Son of Tune Association
« Last post by IanDG on Yesterday at 11:20:11 pm »
Somebody to Love - Queen
OT Knowledge / Re: Hanging guitars on the wall
« Last post by ElyDave on Yesterday at 11:17:15 pm »
Mine are hung on a wall inside a cupboard. The herculeses are attached to a batten which is attached to the wall by three or four substantial screws.

They are not Gibsons, one is a PRS hollow body electric with a piezo pickup, the other is a relatively inexpensive yamaha acoustic
The Pub / Re: Confessions of a tool junkie
« Last post by canny colin on Yesterday at 11:16:24 pm »
 Beardy best level on the market Stabila 83S . Used mine for forty odd years as a Bricklayer . Know as the gods truth on the building .
On The Road / Re: Cyclist who knocked down and killed pensioner
« Last post by peter simplex on Yesterday at 11:15:27 pm »

Yes, cyclist have a duty of care towards other road users, but the same is true, no matter how much the Daily Heil readership would like it not to be, of other road users to cyclist. Yes, I do count a pedestrian as an other road user.

Why single out  the Daily Mail ? [ the Daily Heil, oh so funny and witty, you are one...] It has reported on a case in the Coroner's Court in West London, along with several other newspapers and has given free rein to the son of the Mrs Hilda Griffiths [who reportedly had 'early signs of dementia' and who had no probate issued following her death afaics....]  to spout his anti-cycling rant which seems to have already been conveniently and amazingly coincidentally teed up by his mother [see below] shortly beforehand. He then to do a tour of the radio and TV stations, each of which is equally guilty of fanning the anti-cycling flames, by campaigning for changes to the law.  Very convenient.
Exhibit: The Sunday Telegraph May 5 2024
https://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-sunday-telegraph/20240505/281741274501175

Just days before....."those bloody cyclists are getting worse" she told her son...."She was right, with 35 or more cycling clubs with hundreds of members in the park, it was only a matter of time before tragic outcomes occurred" he told the inquest speaking from his home in Marylebone central London.... ‘I firmly believe my mother was killed by the culture of cycling that has grown up around Regent’s Park over the last few years"

I somehow don't think we have seen the end of this.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10