Author Topic: Walking shoes for big feet  (Read 2738 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Walking shoes for big feet
« on: 06 February, 2018, 12:32:34 am »
As is reported elsewhere, I am going on a walking holiday in June and I have decided to invest in some decent walking shoes. With that in mind, today I visited Go Outdoors and Decathlon, but came away empty-handed. My problem is that my feet are size 13 and the choice of footwear is therefore very limited. There were a few pairs that I might have got away with, but I am well aware that after a few hours' walking ones feet have a tendency to swell up, so having some extra space is desirable.

I was considering a visit to Whalley Warm & Dry (they make Altberg) on a trip up north in a week or two, but I found that the Open Air shop in Cambridge also stock Altberg stuff. I'm sure this stuff is very good quality but it comes with a hefty price tag. I wondered if there were any other YACFers whose tootsies were so ginormous that they have real trouble buying shoes, and also any reports from the owners of Altberg boots or shoes, or other niche good-quality manufacturers.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: Walking shoes for big feet
« Reply #1 on: 06 February, 2018, 06:15:30 am »
My own experience/observation/perception is that one's feet don't really swell up so much as they spread out. the muscles and connective tissue loosen up as one fatigues, the ankles pronate ( i.e., the foot flattens out), and the foot ends up taking up more length and width in the shoe. My own experience is that a pair of good insoles (like Superfeet) will eliminate (or at least minimize) any swelling or spreading out of the feet after a few hours or more of walking or standing.

I'm not a doctor or anything close to it, I'm just passing on what's worked for me over the years. Good quality, close fitting shoes and Superfeet insoles have kept my feet comfy on some very long walks and runs over the years. HTH.

« Reply #2 on: 06 February, 2018, 07:15:55 am »
I always wear boots on my walking trips as I like the ankle support that they provide.
I wear Meindl or Hanwag both of which have a fairly wide toe box.
Yes, they are expensive but they will last for years if looked after.
I always go for a full leather boot, I have tried fabric boots but they never remain waterproof.
We all know that a £300 bike will not ride well so why expect a £50 boot to perform well either!

« Reply #3 on: 06 February, 2018, 07:27:25 am »
Not sure about walking but cycling my feet swell so I always avoid tightening the fastenings.  Don't remember having that problem walking but it's a long time since I had walking boots altho I do walk all day in work boots which are very comfortable!

Was thinking a country with very tall people would have bigger boots..  As loadsabikes says: http://www.hanwag.com/about-us/company
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #4 on: 06 February, 2018, 08:01:47 am »
Open air are a fantastic shop, several times they've refused to sell me anything rather than let me buy a pair of boots that almost but not quite fit.  Definitely worth a trip to see them, i'd say!  [and let me know when you're here, there are a couple of nice pubs within striking distance :D ]

for what it's worth, my quite wide size 48s are very happy in Scarpa boots with some superfeet insoles.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #5 on: 06 February, 2018, 10:26:42 am »
Correction to the OP: Whalley Warm & Dry sell Altberg boots and will measure your feet for them, but the boots are made in Richmond, Yorks. I had a very helpful conversation with a guy at Open Air just now, who told me, whatever I do, not to tell a Yorkshireman he's from Lancashire. Would I do that?  ;)

« Reply #6 on: 06 February, 2018, 12:18:08 pm »
Whalley Warm & Dry sell Altberg boots and will measure your feet for them

They've also got a selection of steaming and stretching contraptions to adjust the shape of the boot to better match your feet, which may be a Useful Thing if you're already at the limits of normal sizing.

« Reply #7 on: 06 February, 2018, 12:25:47 pm »
I have wide, size 13 feet and have a 'square' forefoot so I need a wide toe-box. I'm also very flat-footed.

I bought a pair of Altberg Tetheras (I think) a few years ago from their factory in Yorkshire. I think I might have had to make an appointment but the guy was very helpful and I tried on a load of different boots in different sizes and widths. I seem to remember he also knocked a chunk off the RRP for some reason so they weren't as expensive as I thought they would be. IIRC they were similar to the cost of Meindl's etc.

My only complaint is that the toe-box could be a bit more square but they are better than most. In all other respects they have been extremely comfy from day 1. It's like stepping into a bed for feet. The Tetheras are at the 'sturdy' end of their range though so they weigh a ton.

Sadly, I don't wear them much these days as my feet get very hot and sweaty so I've moved over to walking in trainers. If I was living up in the frozen north I'd doubtless get a lot more use out of them.

If I were looking for another pair of boots I'd go Altberg again though, no question. I wholeheartedly recommend them to people looking for traditional leather boots.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #8 on: 13 February, 2018, 10:31:38 pm »
I have ordered a pair of Altberg Tetheras in a 13. 4 to 6 week delivery period. When they are ready they phone me, I pay, they send them and if I am not totally satisfied, I send them back and they refund me.

Meanwhile I scoured York for a pair of trainer type shoes today, without success.

« Reply #9 on: 17 February, 2018, 10:35:45 am »
That does look like a very capable boot Peter, let us hope they are as good in the flesh.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #10 on: 19 February, 2018, 11:52:00 am »
My son has size 15 feet (About right for scale as I have size 9 and am 5'6" - he is 6'5"). Pretty much the only place we can find footwear of that size is Sports Direct.

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #11 on: 19 February, 2018, 06:25:25 pm »
I am off to Open Air (Cambridge) on Friday to purchase some walking shoes. I will also spend some time looking at tents.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #12 on: 25 February, 2018, 10:36:10 pm »
I am off to Open Air (Cambridge) on Friday to purchase some walking shoes. I will also spend some time looking at tents.

I didn't go to Cambridge in the end. I did order some size 13 Meindl shoes which arrived the following day and fit perfectly.

« Reply #13 on: 01 March, 2018, 01:10:11 am »
A bit late. but if those don't work out, check out Keen:
http://global.keenfootwear.com/en-gb/products/shoes/men/141,3475

Very roomy, without feeling floaty.
I got a pair of their mid waterproof hking boots and a now very worn pair of semi-casual shoes.

« Reply #14 on: 09 March, 2018, 06:44:53 am »
I wear a pair of Merrell Chameleon in size 13 and they have been very good.

Often available in sales through Millets / Blacks or through Amazon etc.

They do up to a size 15

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #15 on: 14 March, 2018, 02:34:16 pm »
Another vote for Altberg here. I have size 14/50 feet and their range actually gives me options.
Everyone's favourite windbreak