Author Topic: Bike route toaster website...  (Read 6229 times)

Bike route toaster website...
« on: 21 November, 2013, 07:48:01 pm »
Anyone else lost the map page?   I guess there's some flash incompatibility or summat?

Andy
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Re: Bike route toaster website...
« Reply #1 on: 21 November, 2013, 07:55:33 pm »
Looks like it is using Google Maps API v2, which has now been switched off. It needs to be updated to use the v3 API.

« Reply #2 on: 22 November, 2013, 10:16:36 pm »
I'm blank as well, I've E-Mailed them to try and get some information about it.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #3 on: 24 November, 2013, 01:30:06 pm »
Looks like it is using Google Maps API v2, which has now been switched off. It needs to be updated to use the v3 API.

Not a trivial job.  Looks like its gone.  :(  r.i.p
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #4 on: 24 November, 2013, 02:50:51 pm »
Yes, no advisory or holding page.  I didn't have any reply to my email either.

« Reply #5 on: 25 November, 2013, 09:12:01 pm »
Yes, no advisory or holding page.  I didn't have any reply to my email either.

I've had no reply to my E-Mail either, looks like I'm looking for another web site.

« Reply #6 on: 26 November, 2013, 12:25:03 pm »
The website's back up, but not the maps.

« Reply #7 on: 27 November, 2013, 09:05:00 am »
Toaster was my favourite route mapping site. Bikehike does a similar job so I use that now. I had several routes stored on toaster which are lost now  unfortunately.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #8 on: 27 November, 2013, 10:40:57 am »
The storage is still there and intact.

I'm optimistic** that given time normal service will be resumed.  If it is a v2 - v3 thing, well the v3 code is actually easier to write (though still brain-twistingly convoluted) but unfortunately the transition isn't just a simple search-an-replace [new function] for [old function] - it is, as they say, a bit more complicated than that.

** not my normal state.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #9 on: 27 November, 2013, 10:46:40 am »
Toaster was my favourite route mapping site. Bikehike does a similar job so I use that now. I had several routes stored on toaster which are lost now  unfortunately.

That's a shame.  And why I doggedly stick to using Mapsource City Nav (in conjunction with BaseCamp since City Nav doesn't play that nicely with my E30) as City Nav allows me to store routes and tracks on my hard drive (which is backed up).

Euan Uzami

« Reply #10 on: 27 November, 2013, 10:49:40 am »
Can I just say, you don't need a website to be able to store routes, or software to 'allow' you to do it - just save the GPX file on a drive... put it in dropbox if you want it backed up.

Toady

« Reply #11 on: 27 November, 2013, 10:58:28 am »
Can I just say, you don't need a website to be able to store routes, or software to 'allow' you to do it - just save the GPX file on a drive... put it in dropbox if you want it backed up.
But if I did that I'd need a handy way to edit and visualise my library of stored gpx files.  Some sort of ... how shall I put it ... GPX editor.  Any idea where I could find one, Ben?  ;) :)

Euan Uzami

« Reply #12 on: 27 November, 2013, 12:44:23 pm »
But if I did that I'd need a handy way to edit and visualise my library of stored gpx files.  Some sort of ... how shall I put it ... GPX editor.  Any idea where I could find one, Ben?  ;) :)

Well you'd have to upload it, but that's a simple process...

« Reply #13 on: 27 November, 2013, 09:40:17 pm »
I'm not familiar with the particular website, but do know about the V2 to V3 change. There is a simplistic compatibility scheme that means many sites carry on working (at least for now), but any that are a bit more complex will need work. I've also noticed that some V2 sites that broke at first are now working again (presumably because Google have tweaked their compatibility code).

Unfortunately the code changes for V3 are not straight-forward - and the  more complex the app, the worse the pain is.

Bit of a shame that old websites now have to tread to the Google beat to keep working, but hey ho, at least it keeps developers in clover.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #14 on: 29 November, 2013, 02:06:42 pm »
It's not as though they weren't warned.  I put a lot of V2 Gmaps code into the AUK website back in 2009 - and updated it immediately I became aware of V3, which was only a matter of weeks later.   Painful, but worth it when I could sit back and not worry.
I'm just amazed it hasn't moved on to V4 yet - and there is the veiled threat:
Quote from: GMaps v3 documentation
... guaranteed to remain as documented within these pages until this version is retired.

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #15 on: 01 March, 2014, 12:28:57 am »
I think it's back...
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

« Reply #16 on: 02 March, 2014, 09:49:33 pm »
I think it's back...

Yes its back, the layout is crap and it seem to be centred over Africa when its first opened, the map is too small and I haven't found a way to resize it yet, theres a big advert in the left lower corner, Ghostery blocks that so its just a big white space and I can't seem to find a way of moving things around or make them smaller to find a way of making the map bigger.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #17 on: 02 March, 2014, 09:56:49 pm »
I think it's back...

Yes its back, the layout is crap and it seem to be centred over Africa when its first opened, the map is too small and I haven't found a way to resize it yet, theres a big advert in the left lower corner, Ghostery blocks that so its just a big white space and I can't seem to find a way of moving things around or make them smaller to find a way of making the map bigger.

You can resize the map - any of the grey bars can be moved about (hover over them and they will go green).

If you don't like the order of the tiles, you can pick them up and swap them about (each one of them has a little move icon on their top lefts).  You can even drop them onto one pane and you then get tabs.  Stick them all on the left top and then slam the right hand bar all the way right - BIG map!

There's an advert - helps pay for the free service you are getting.  You're running an ad blocker, turn it off and the white space will be filled with a great advert tailored to your browsing habits.  It is your choice.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #18 on: 02 March, 2014, 10:04:37 pm »
I think it's back...

You can resize the map - any of the grey bars can be moved about (hover over them and they will go green).

If you don't like the order of the tiles, you can pick them up and swap them about (each one of them has a little move icon on their top lefts).  You can even drop them onto one pane and you then get tabs.  Stick them all on the left top and then slam the right hand bar all the way right - BIG map!

There's an advert - helps pay for the free service you are getting.  You're running an ad blocker, turn it off and the white space will be filled with a great advert tailored to your browsing habits.  It is your choice.

I've played a bit more and I found I can resize routing and summary to get a slightly bigger map but no luck moving tiles around, I found the move icon but they're not working, Ghostary isn't just an ad blocker it also blocks trackers and other stuff.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #19 on: 02 March, 2014, 10:06:01 pm »
I think it's back...

that'll be because the lat long is initialized to zero zero which is somewhere off the coast of Nigeria ;)

Euan Uzami

« Reply #20 on: 02 March, 2014, 10:07:05 pm »
Oh and the ad is probably an iframe.

« Reply #21 on: 02 March, 2014, 10:33:56 pm »
Thats interesting, all my old routes are there, and the auto routing is as annoying as it always was, this is todays ride

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/BRTWebUI

if the link works?

Euan Uzami

« Reply #22 on: 02 March, 2014, 10:45:10 pm »
No, it doesn't.  :'( :'(  8) You'll have just copied the URL out of the address bar of the browser, which doesn't point to your specific ride.
To do that on my website, you right click and choose 'Share', no idea how you do it on BRT, sorry.

« Reply #23 on: 02 March, 2014, 10:55:01 pm »
No, it doesn't.  :'( :'(  8) You'll have just copied the URL out of the address bar of the browser, which doesn't point to your specific ride.
To do that on my website, you right click and choose 'Share', no idea how you do it on BRT, sorry.

Thanks for that, this should work

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/BRTWebUI/Course/630497

They've moved the route link to another place, it used to be in the course list but now its on the right hand side of the main window.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #24 on: 03 March, 2014, 06:39:50 pm »
It's not really back because it doesn't have Google Maps which is a fairly fundamental omission.  Though I suppose Map Quest is probably a better match for Garmin's maps anyway.

I've played a bit more and I found I can resize routing and summary to get a slightly bigger map but no luck moving tiles around, I found the move icon but they're not working, Ghostary isn't just an ad blocker it also blocks trackers and other stuff.

I found I could move all the control panels to the left hand side (as a tabbed nest of 3 panels, with the blocked ad as a blank space underneath) and then collapse the r-h side to get space for a much bigger map.  Also the elevation chart can be made into a tab in the map panel, giving even more map space.

(just repeating marcus, sorry)