Author Topic: London increased cycling but often more dangerous  (Read 457 times)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
London increased cycling but often more dangerous
« on: 25 February, 2024, 12:45:06 pm »
Norman (London’s Walking and Cycling Commissioner, Will Norman) knows these gaps put the city’s growing numbers of riders at risk. “While we have seen an increase in cycling, we have seen a risk of collisions go down but only where there is cycle infrastructure,” he says. Where there isn’t the infrastructure, risks have increased because more people are riding where there aren’t cycle lanes, he says.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-02-23/london-bike-boom-risks-becoming-a-victim-of-its-own-success

The article mentions culture wars with councils electing people that are anti infrastructure

Re: London increased cycling but often more dangerous
« Reply #1 on: 25 February, 2024, 04:51:51 pm »
It isn't the councils electing people, surely?

Re: London increased cycling but often more dangerous
« Reply #2 on: 25 February, 2024, 10:03:19 pm »
The tide has turned in London.  At peak hours there are more bikes than cars in many areas.  The vast increase in hire/electric bikes is definitely part of the reason.

If I was a car driver I probably would feel slightly "bullied" or certainly inconvenienced by the number of cyclists getting in my way and slowing me down - but I'm not  ;D

It's the way of the future - folks better get used to it.  We are approaching critical mass!
The sound of one pannier flapping