Author Topic: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists  (Read 368348 times)

Re: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists
« Reply #1325 on: 10 January, 2019, 10:43:00 am »
yesterday, turning right into a side road and a youngish man is ambling then standing in the middle of the road. So I turn and slow down to pass behind him but asked him not to stand in the middle of the road. He demonstrated he had command of  some swear words and that I was 'a dickhead cyclist'. I wished him a pleasant day and left him to his musings,

« Reply #1326 on: 12 January, 2019, 01:40:40 pm »
Yesterday, on my way home from work, someone (with a bottle of beer) was wandering down the road. As I approach he stepped to the side and said (said more than shouted, but this felt like the right thread in any case) “sorry, I thought you were a car”.
To be frank, I’m still puzzled.

« Reply #1327 on: 16 January, 2019, 10:55:54 pm »
Today that would be me. Driving home from work i passed a cyclist on an unlit rural road. He had a good headlight but his rear light was out. I pulled in at a farm entrance ahead and got out of the car to call out to him. A little later I passed him with both lights working.

« Reply #1328 on: 04 February, 2019, 09:00:56 am »
Cycling into a stiff head wind. Car pulls alongside.
Driver: You need to watch the road. Something something something something something.
Me: What?
Driver: drives off
Look, if you are going to lecture someone about how to ride a bicycle, at least try to make sure they've understood whatever point it is you're trying to make...

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #1329 on: 27 February, 2019, 01:17:19 pm »
Doppler-effect "Cycle path" shout from open passenger window last night.

The difference being that, for the first time ever, I didn't get wound up. I remembered to smile broadly and wave cheerily at the receding car, hoping that the driver, instead of me, would enjoy the resulting apoplexy.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1330 on: 27 February, 2019, 01:39:56 pm »
"G'wan, PEDAL!" from a random pedestrian as I slowed to a halt behind a van in a queueueueue of traffic.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1331 on: 15 March, 2019, 09:17:17 am »
Apparently I don't own the road. Who knew? It's a good job there are random cunts in cars about to keep us informed of these things.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1332 on: 15 March, 2019, 10:08:20 am »
Apparently I don't own the road. Who knew? It's a good job there are random cunts in cars about to keep us informed of these things.

Actually, I do own the road and just let people like you use it from charity.  If you don't like this arrangement, have your people talk to my people :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1333 on: 15 March, 2019, 01:50:41 pm »
"G'wan, PEDAL!" from a random pedestrian as I slowed to a halt behind a van in a queueueueue of traffic.

Variation on the above:  "G'wan girl!", which is one of those which can mean entirely different things depending on who's shouting it.

ian

« Reply #1334 on: 15 March, 2019, 01:56:13 pm »
Go on, we dare you! say the schoolkids. Ian appraises the large lake that has spilled across the road and demurs cos he only has little Brompton pram wheels.

(that's the same 'puddle' that always appears, the one a car sped into the other week and slewed to a sudden halt as it lost traction, it must be at least half a metre deep).

spindrift

« Reply #1335 on: 18 March, 2019, 03:03:39 pm »
"Get your arse on the saddle!"

Lady in her seventies with a zimmer frame as I passed her on Pottergate. PLOT TWIST I was sitting down. I wasn't out of the saddle, it was a slight downhill coast bit. My arse was on the saddle. None of it makes sense.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #1336 on: 21 March, 2019, 04:08:09 pm »
"Get a car ya bearded hippy" - shouted at me today. I think it might have been from the mouth of my local bike shop owner.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1337 on: 22 March, 2019, 07:06:42 pm »
This bloke actually lost his licence for stopping to shout at a cyclist. Only his taxi licence, not his driving licence, but highly unusual.
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/taxi-drivers-licence-shredded-after-2675070
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1338 on: 23 March, 2019, 06:10:44 am »
This bloke actually lost his taxi licence, not his driving licence, but highly unusual.

Makes up for some of the "don't take my license away or I can't drive to work" cases, when taking the license away means he can't drive FOR work ...

« Reply #1339 on: 27 March, 2019, 10:16:43 am »
'You need to get some f-in oil on that' from two youths at a cyclist whose brakes were squealing. Couldn't decide whether they were swearing or suggesting some sexual lubricant may be of benefit

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1340 on: 16 April, 2019, 09:12:29 pm »
A real blast from the past yesterday.

I was overtaken by a dark-coloured car. The passenger window was down. A shout, almost but not quite in stereo, was emitted of a type I haven't heard regularly since I taught in a boys' secondary modern school between 1975 and 1981. "Wawka!" (for the uninitiated, that's my surname translated into Saarfendese). This means that the oiks concerned must be well into their 50s.
The loss of humanity I could live with.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1341 on: 20 April, 2019, 04:04:00 pm »
Old Boys!

« Reply #1342 on: 10 June, 2019, 12:28:10 pm »
Dutch? lorry drivers are more tolerant of cyclists........Is he in the  right job?

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=uvuc6_1560076423
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1343 on: 10 June, 2019, 12:30:48 pm »
I think a motorist may have shouted "Kim!" at me yesterday afternoon.  I didn't recognise them, as they were wearing a car.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1344 on: 15 June, 2019, 12:00:33 am »
Dutch? lorry drivers are more tolerant of cyclists........Is he in the  right job?

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=uvuc6_1560076423

That's impressive. Me thinks the guy shouldn't be allowed behind the wheel if he's that angry. Wow.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1345 on: 03 July, 2019, 08:35:33 pm »
"Wow sick!  Imagine doing a wheelie on that..."

(I try not to.)

« Reply #1346 on: 10 July, 2019, 09:04:59 pm »
"Elle pédale pas derrière *"  Nothing unusual of course, but this time the utterance came from a guy on an e-bike who overtook us on a climb. S could not resist the urge to shout back at him "Get a real bike first!"

A

* = She's not pedalling at the back

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #1347 on: 31 July, 2019, 03:51:15 pm »
In the Vendee on holiday a couple of weeks back, with Hewitt tourer stripped of racks and guards to look like some sort of mutant gravel tourer thing. Out on a Sunday morning, bearded, wearing YACF KOM jersey and Clement casquette, heading towards the coast and expecting the usual local club rides, when younger rider with bike sporting three-spoke carbon front wheel and tri-bars appears at a turning ahead:

MS: Bonjour!
YR: Bonjour, Patron.  ('Hello Boss')

I am taking that as some sort of respectful salutation...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1348 on: 05 November, 2019, 05:15:16 pm »
"WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT?"
"It's a bicycle."
"I DON'T GIVE A FUCK."

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #1349 on: 27 November, 2019, 03:54:22 pm »
I have had a number of exchanges like that, often at work.

Member of public: [????] in form of long and angry rant.
Me: [Because] polite explanation.
MOP: Wo''evvor! Do I look BOVVERED?
Me: Clearly you are, or you wouldn't be asking.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i