Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 857289 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #6700 on: 11 January, 2024, 02:53:37 pm »
New! Shiny! window graphics have been applied at my place of work, with company branding, line drawings of products ect ect. They look very nice.

Except two office doors are being labelled up with the names of the occupants like this:  "Bob's Office".  Except there's no apostrophe. It'll make my teeth itch every time I look at it.
Chewing some sand paper should help with that.

Through gritted teeth.

As an aside, is that the sort of thing you're involved in? The window graphics that is, not abrasive tooth treatment.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6701 on: 11 January, 2024, 03:12:36 pm »
Maybe that's the office where they store Bobs? So you know where to go when you need to replenish your supply.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #6702 on: 11 January, 2024, 04:24:26 pm »
New! Shiny! window graphics have been applied at my place of work, with company branding, line drawings of products ect ect. They look very nice.

Except two office doors are being labelled up with the names of the occupants like this:  "Bob's Office".  Except there's no apostrophe. It'll make my teeth itch every time I look at it.

Change your name to Bob and lay claim to the office.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #6703 on: 11 January, 2024, 04:39:59 pm »
The University of Warwick spent £000s on etched windows as a global map for the post building. They spelled Antarctic correctly, but Artic was used instead of Arctic. Maybe they wanted lorries to use it?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #6704 on: 11 January, 2024, 09:35:03 pm »

Chewing some sand paper should help with that.

Through gritted teeth.

As an aside, is that the sort of thing you're involved in? The window graphics that is, not abrasive tooth treatment.
My bold.
Very much so. Probably 60% - 70% or more of what I deal with .
ETA - without stating the obvs. your cock-ups appear to be down to the artworker/designer rather than the printer.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6705 on: 11 January, 2024, 10:22:01 pm »
Some enterprising person with a vinyl cutter must make stick-on apostrophe kit's for pedants, shirley?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #6706 on: 11 January, 2024, 10:29:05 pm »
I hope so. Although an apostrophe will spoil the line of the lettering.   

The grahpics people were in again today, applying a small arc of sticky stuff to fix an error in a line drawing representation. Invisible mending.

I think the apostrophe thing was down to my teenaged boss. Nice enough but spelling and punctuation are not his strong points.

citoyen

« Reply #6707 on: 11 January, 2024, 10:52:32 pm »

Talking of which…

From our 8th floor office window, we have an excellent view of the new Sadler’s Wells building going up in Stratford. You can tell it’s Sadler’s Wells because it says so in very large letters on the side.

The designers on our team have been gnashing their teeth for weeks over the appalling kerning of the sign - there’s a massive gap between the apostrophe and the s in Sadler’s.

I’m not a designer but even I find it really glaring and grating.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #6708 on: 15 January, 2024, 10:15:36 pm »
Unusual apostrophe use (amongst other things).

PXL_20240111_115916699 by The Pingus, on Flickr

« Reply #6709 on: 18 January, 2024, 10:02:18 am »
Is it just me, or would others prefer "associated with" over "associated to"? I have a colleague who does stuff "associated to" other stuff all the time and it annoys me...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6710 on: 18 January, 2024, 02:24:20 pm »
Is it just me, or would others prefer "associated with" over "associated to"? I have a colleague who does stuff "associated to" other stuff all the time and it annoys me...

Associated to is clueless bollocks, so you'll be hearing it on the Beeb any day now.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #6711 on: 18 January, 2024, 05:43:15 pm »
Association is usually a bidirectional relationship. "To" does not really convey that. There again, the origins of "different" lie in "carrying away", which is why "different to" i.e."carrying away to" jars so much - it's another prepositional oxymoron.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6712 on: 07 February, 2024, 01:20:30 pm »
The plural noun premises used as a singular, as in "police were called to a premises", which I have even seen used by lawyers who should know better.  Plural nouns take plural grammar.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #6713 on: 07 February, 2024, 04:04:49 pm »
The plural noun premises used as a singular, as in "police were called to a premises", which I have even seen used by lawyers who should know better.  Plural nouns take plural grammar.
I was watching one of those rubbish Police Knicking Villains programmes the other day. One of the Boys in Blue kept referring to "a premise", which caused cringing.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #6714 on: 07 February, 2024, 05:05:26 pm »

As far as I am aware, whilst 'premises' is plural it can be used with a singular verb.  I've seen it used quite frequently in planning applications.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #6715 on: 07 February, 2024, 11:50:46 pm »

Talking of which…

From our 8th floor office window, we have an excellent view of the new Sadler’s Wells building going up in Stratford. You can tell it’s Sadler’s Wells because it says so in very large letters on the side.

The designers on our team have been gnashing their teeth for weeks over the appalling kerning of the sign - there’s a massive gap between the r and the apostrophe in Sadler’s.

I’m not a designer but even I find it really glaring and grating.

Inevitably
There's a thread for that sort of thing
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6716 on: 08 February, 2024, 08:05:32 am »

As far as I am aware, whilst 'premises' is plural it can be used with a singular verb.  I've seen it used quite frequently in planning applications.

Ignorance of grammar is no longer a surprise these days.  I was pleased yesterday to see the preposition outside used without a following of. Mind you, the book was from 1984.

citoyen

Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #6717 on: 08 February, 2024, 09:36:25 pm »
Inevitably
There's a thread for that sort of thing

How did I not see that thread before? Excellent. I shall have to take a picture and share it there.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #6718 on: 09 February, 2024, 07:00:40 am »
Looking at property listings on Zoopla and Rightmove and almost every house comprises of…
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6719 on: 09 February, 2024, 08:05:06 am »
A real cringifyer being should/could/would of.

« Reply #6720 on: 14 February, 2024, 04:25:37 pm »
let me get back to you momentarily

Seems in the USA momentarily means 'at any moment'.

Reading it is like chewing on a pumice stone.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #6721 on: 14 February, 2024, 06:30:20 pm »

Standard Irish usage that, I thought. At any rate, where in the UK you might get "No Trespassing" in Ireland it's common to see signs nailed to decrepit doors or rural gateposts informing you that "This is a premises" within the meaning of whatever act.

« Reply #6722 on: 21 February, 2024, 12:52:19 pm »
Survivors of the attack say they were hit by two HIMARS missiles, seen here being launched in May 2023

I thought these missiles are fast.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6723 on: 05 March, 2024, 06:24:29 pm »
Chinese boats fire water at a Philippine vessel

Is that really the best verb?  I'd accept 'shoot', and recognise that 'squirt' doesn't really convey the pressure involved (firefighting equipment being used as an offensive weapon).

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6724 on: 06 March, 2024, 03:09:12 pm »
Chinese boats fire water at a Philippine vessel

Is that really the best verb?  I'd accept 'shoot', and recognise that 'squirt' doesn't really convey the pressure involved (firefighting equipment being used as an offensive weapon).
Fire as a verb is not necessarily connected with conflagration. It was used in archery contexts before the arrival of gunpowder in Europe. Nevertheless, "shoot" would seem more appropriate in this context.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.