Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 2999597 times)

Whereas an interviewer from ONS is scheduled to visit our 'random household' this time next week.

They've sent me a £5 gift card from love2shop, which might not be worth redeeming.

One came to see my father last week. As the topic of the survey was 'employment' and he turned 90 earlier this year it was a very short interview (he still has a gift card though).

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Whereas an interviewer from ONS is scheduled to visit our 'random household' this time next week.

They've sent me a £5 gift card from love2shop, which might not be worth redeeming.

One came to see my father last week. As the topic of the survey was 'employment' and he turned 90 earlier this year it was a very short interview (he still has a gift card though).

Well, we've had a full census form to fill in and return.  No gift card though.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Presumably self-filling in versus census taker filling in is one of the things they're trialling. Or maybe they just have more trust in the people of Ceredigion to be literate.  ;)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Want to cycle more, for excercise and get out more but can't find the motivation.  Even during the good weather, I could not find the will to cycle.

Been out a couple of times and it was forced, needed to inflate the bikes tyres and could even be bothered to inflate the tyres as it was more hassle to go and get the pump.  Just went and rode.  But did not enjoy the ride, it was hard work and the other road users and with peds walking in cycle lane and seem to get offended with me saying excuse me. 

Is it a london thing?

Even bought a new bike and don't want to ride the bike in the horrible weather.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Want to cycle more, for excercise and get out more but can't find the motivation.  Even during the good weather, I could not find the will to cycle.

Been out a couple of times and it was forced, needed to inflate the bikes tyres and could even be bothered to inflate the tyres as it was more hassle to go and get the pump.  Just went and rode.  But did not enjoy the ride, it was hard work and the other road users and with peds walking in cycle lane and seem to get offended with me saying excuse me. 

Is it a london thing?

Even bought a new bike and don't want to ride the bike in the horrible weather.

More like a city thing.  I haven't cycled in Strasbourg for yonks but I don't recall the peds being all that chuffed at bikes on shared pavements.  Out of town it's lovely, though - guaranteed rest cure.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
But that means actually moving from the sofa/flat, worse when it is grey and I have the ability to step outside and make it rain.

Think the cycle lane issue is annoying.  On the A11 the cycle lane goes behind the bus stops and there is ped interaction with people standing in the cycle lane.  While fore street towards Edmonton, seems to have the cycle lane infront of the bus stop and carparking to right.  So people park in the cycle lane and load their cars so doors open in to the lane.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Sounds like dismissive planning in action: "It's only a bleeding cycle lane, who cares?"

BTW, I have to revise my "rest cure" statement after nearly getting flattened by an oncoming car this afternoon. Or change it to "rest eternal".

Beardy

• Shedist
I’m trying to make an appointment with a doctor for ms Beardy the younger. So far my attempts at getting a telephonic connection to the surgery are proving fruitless. 😡

ETA. Blimey, 20 minutes to get through and an appointment at 3:30. That’s the hardest I’ve ever had to work at that before.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

I’m trying to make an appointment with a doctor for ms Beardy the younger. So far my attempts at getting a telephonic connection to the surgery are proving fruitless. 😡

ETA. Blimey, 20 minutes to get through and an appointment at 3:30. That’s the hardest I’ve ever had to work at that before.

Monday morning, typical.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I have just googled to find out what people mean when they talk about "Fleabag".
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

One of Dervla Murphy's favourite words.  :D

I note with interest that the replacement bank card I received from the Nat West yesterday has a small notch cut into one of the short edges, to make it easier to ascertain which end goes into the card reader.
There is also a series of raised dots - almost braille-like - to denote that the card is a Nat West one but, perhaps most noticeably, the sixteen digit number is no longer embossed but is flush with the surface.
Gone are the days of the carbon-copy flimsies, and the mechanical card imprinters1 used to record the transaction. I guess they were the modern day equivalent of a brass rubbing but they too, have gone the way of the dodo.

1- Young people will need to ask. Oh! do we have any of those on here?

Gone are the days of the carbon-copy flimsies, and the mechanical card imprinters1 used to record the transaction. I guess they were the modern day equivalent of a brass rubbing but they too, have gone the way of the dodo.

1- Young people will need to ask. Oh! do we have any of those on here?

I'm fairly certain I've made a card payment with one of those things this decade, when there had been some kind of network SNAFU which had taken down the electronic payment system.

* It was before the Visa networking switch outage of June 2018, that's all I can remember.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Cudzoziemiec

I also received a new card from NatPest recently and the non-embossed number was noticeable, leading me to have the same thoughts as Jurek. But the dots are barely visible or tangible – what are they actually for? – and there's no notch in either bedpost side.

I don't remember the last time I used one of those carbon copy card payment machines, though on a semi-related note twice in the last three days I've shopped at places that take cash only (both were greengrocers).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I don't remember the last time I used one of those carbon copy card payment machines, though on a semi-related note twice in the last three days I've shopped at places that take cash only (both were greengrocers).

I'm struggling to think of a time where I ever used one.  And I've had a debit card since I was 14.

Cudzoziemiec

I think they pretty much died out, except perhaps in backward places like Silicon Valley and other parts of the USA, when the magnetic stripe was introduced. And before that, it was obviously easier and probably more secure to either use cash or write a cheque.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
#2 son used a slap/slap carbon copy machine in Cardiff fairly recently.  Definitely this year. Because normal method borked or something.
Freaked him out as he had no idea that it was a thing.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

Can't blame him, I'm not sure I'd trust one nowadays!

ian

I was idly wondering that my wife wasn't home and then I just got a messaged a picture her and a friend hanging out somewhere. Nos Bieres says the sign on the wall behind them. Hold on, Bercy Village is not in London, is it?

"You did remember I'm in Paris, didn't you," she writes.

Well, erm, of course I did.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
You, sir, are a rubbish!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

I'm never sure whether to hope that Ian's wife doesn't read this place, or to delight in the prospect that she does.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Meanwhile, ian is busy trying to resist the allure of all the beers that his wife has put post it notes on saying "keep your mucky paws off you git"
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Wash your hands first, Ian.

ian

Let's be fair, it was apparently a short-notice trip so is not listed on the kitchen calendar (which I did check when I got home). And I was over in Frankfurt when she told me and I might have been drinking beforehand. Or it was in one of those long emails that I'm planning to read in full at some point in the future.

Actually, I knew she was in Paris before she texted me, so I could authentically claim to have remembered. Admittedly because at about 8.30pm, I checked Find My Friends on my phone, and there she was, down by the Seine and not at the gym up the hill. It says something about modern relationships that we both periodically have to find each other via technology.

She had shoved a case of generic craft beer in the fridge, so I assume that was my cue to leave the rest alone. My head was a bit spangoed by the previous evening's carousings anyway.

Fortunately, she's not interested in my cycling ramblings*, so this is a safe space. She will never know of the depth of my perfidy.

*One of my work colleagues once admitted to me that her boyfriend was into 'this thing called audax' like it was something dark and shameful.