Author Topic: Suffolk Audax DIYs  (Read 2484 times)

Suffolk Audax DIYs
« on: 13 August, 2021, 07:00:23 pm »
Hi
Only been Audaxing over past year. As i am based just north of Ipswich i complete a fair few DIY rides around Suffolk & Norfolk and have several 200 and the odd 300 routes i use which take in my favourite cafes, bakeries and butchers! (think i've completed about forty odd 200 & 300's mostly in these fine counties completing the 10000R in July). If anybody else based in Suffolk would be interested to join me on a DIY let me know and perhaps we could sort something out.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Re: Suffolk Audax DIYs
« Reply #1 on: 13 August, 2021, 08:16:19 pm »
A warm yacf welcome to Suffolkpastie. (This is one of our 'forrin' ACME members and with a big points score already ... maybe some ECE's to our forthcoming events are on the cards?) I think we have three members over that border, as well as our chum Adamski (Audax Club Hackney) recently relocated to Suffolk from London.

Btw, I'm mulling over the idea of riding to the Silly Suffolk in October and staying on for a little autumn tour in Broadland.

« Reply #2 on: 13 August, 2021, 10:45:42 pm »
our chum Adamski (Audax Club Hackney) recently relocated to Suffolk from London.

IRTA as re-educated.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #3 on: 16 August, 2021, 03:59:32 pm »
Also Ipswich and happy to swap routes.  But I suspect you are out of my Corona-flab full value league. 
I also have a bunch of 100s from when I was chasing fixie points.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #4 on: 16 August, 2021, 08:56:56 pm »
Yes, I am here.

I am pondering doing Shipping Lanes 200 in early Sept., out via Lavenham and onto Cambridge then back via Sudbury.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/22254565

What sort of speed / time are tyou riding at because that may make difference to sharing the road? I will probably be looking at 9 hrs total, tho also keeping stops to a minimum so moving time won't be much different.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #5 on: 17 August, 2021, 10:05:32 am »
Currently 200km: moving time 7.5-8 hrs and total time 8.5-9hrs give or take.
In next few weeks looking at doing a 'dropping a clanger' DIY from just north of Ipswich to Sandy, Beds for Beds clanger at Gunns Bakery and back and 200 up to Holt (to brays pork pies) and back.
Not done the 'shipping lanes' perm but have done cambs markets and diss'd clare ones.

« Reply #6 on: 23 August, 2021, 06:17:24 pm »
Hello fellow Native,

Yes you have found that Audax in Suffolk is a bit spartan - thank goodness for DIYs.

There are some routes out of Bildeston, Suffolk Lanes Extravager is a nice 200k, Cambridge Audax Permanents have some nice routes through our patch, which I have been able to modify into DIYs.

John Thompson has some nice routes through Suffolk and Norfolk, based in East Suffolk I think.

If your brave enough to go over the boarder, the ACME Gang have plenty of routes. Sudbury Cycling Club have also pleasant routes from Long Melford.

I find making a DIY is most ideal if you know the area, I tend to include some favourite rest stops and eatery's.

Good Luck and have fun.

Regards.