Author Topic: bank and building society account management software  (Read 1756 times)

bank and building society account management software
« on: 30 April, 2023, 01:25:39 pm »
I have ended up with a number of accounts in all sorts of different places which are a hassle to chase individually.

My wife as well likes to see everything in one place.

Is there good software which will link to all my accounts and then display them in one window or App?

Bank accounts mainly but if it covered mortgages as well that would be excellent.

Re: bank and building society account management software
« Reply #1 on: 30 April, 2023, 10:53:08 pm »
I'd not be giving my login info to an app that might be from a state sponsored wunderkind (whatever that translates to in Russian/Chinese/N.Korean) and who are biding their time before hitting the extract button...

« Reply #2 on: 30 April, 2023, 10:59:26 pm »
Seems to me the sundry banking/financial orgs should be providing hubs in towns as they close branches. The provision of a proprietary app giving access to such a hub or agency would then meet your needs. It is very disingenuous of them to restrict opening hours during Covid and then say footfall has fallen so we need to close branches etc.
The Government also does not seem to have realised yet that the elimination of cash as a medium of exchange transfers power over a nations currency from Government to the financial institution.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: 01 May, 2023, 08:20:19 am »

I have ended up with a number of accounts in all sorts of different places which are a hassle to chase individually.

Is there good software which will link to all my accounts and then display them in one window or App?

Bank accounts mainly but if it covered mortgages as well that would be excellent.

I've been using KMyMoney for decades.
It's available for Windows and Linux - there's no online or mobile version.

It's a successor to Microsoft Money
It's maintained but there's almost no development of new features (which is probably a good thung)

There is a learning curve, but it's worth it for the reporting functions. It'll handle almost any sort of currency, account, loan or saving.

Did I mention it's free?
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #4 on: 01 May, 2023, 09:27:29 am »

I'd expect things like Mike links to will be off-line tools, ie you will need to type the data into them by hand.
If you are looking for some on-line thing that will log into your accounts automagically and present it all in one place, then I doubt such a thing exists, nor should it.

Firstly, there's the security implications of giving all your banking credentials to such an app, as has already been mentioned.

Secondly, most of the banks will require 2FA, so such an app won't be able to log in anyway without you having to respond to the multiple phone authentication requests or whatever, every time such an app tried to scrape fresh details.

Thirdly, all the institutions will have different web front ends and proprietary APIs for their own apps, there will be no consistency between them. Such an app would have no real way to navigate each bank's interface.

« Reply #5 on: 01 May, 2023, 09:35:44 am »
I'd not be giving my login info to an app that might be from a state sponsored wunderkind (whatever that translates to in Russian/Chinese/N.Korean) and who are biding their time before hitting the extract button...

It doesn't work like that - no bank would be allowed to let your credentials go via a third party. The app goes directly to the banks and consolidates the data on screen. The apps are run by regulated entities and cannot allow their apps to send that data to themselves. Also, the gateways into the banks that these apps use are read-only so you cannot use the app to transfer or pay money.

Having said that, there's no way I would use one. They do, of course, collect all sorts of other data. And sell it to companies to bombard you with offers and "advice". Some of the apps are "free" and obviously nothing is free.

The one referenced by MikeFromLFE does not log in to accounts (as far as I can see) it's just a way of keeping track of everything. A spreadsheet would do the job too if you're that way inclined. But you still have to pull the data together yourself. If that's onerous, the other option is to try and amalgamate them into fewer accounts.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #6 on: 01 May, 2023, 09:41:55 am »

I'd expect things like Mike links to will be off-line tools, ie you will need to type the data into them by hand.
If you are looking for some on-line thing that will log into your accounts automagically and present it all in one place, then I doubt such a thing exists, nor should it.

Firstly, there's the security implications of giving all your banking credentials to such an app, as has already been mentioned.

Secondly, most of the banks will require 2FA, so such an app won't be able to log in anyway without you having to respond to the multiple phone authentication requests or whatever, every time such an app tried to scrape fresh details.

Thirdly, all the institutions will have different web front ends and proprietary APIs for their own apps, there will be no consistency between them. Such an app would have no real way to navigate each bank's interface.

They do exist. Eg MoneyHub and Money Dashboard. The participating banks (most of the big ones) provide special APIs for them to access limited data in a consistent way.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #7 on: 01 May, 2023, 09:42:45 am »
It should be possible with Open Banking. That provides a standard API for third parties to connect to. You would have to enable it with your bank, and grant access to a specific provider. It can include making payments or transferring money between accounts.
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/open-banking/

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8 on: 01 May, 2023, 09:57:38 am »
As above. Some banks, but it seems not all, will allow you to link other bank accounts to their apps so you can see everything in one go. But I'm not sure what this shows you in practice.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #9 on: 01 May, 2023, 10:39:52 am »

I've a few accounts and think it is simpler to keep banks separate. 

Move Faster and Bake Things

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #10 on: 01 May, 2023, 10:54:04 am »

[...]
...all the institutions will have different web front ends and proprietary APIs for their own apps, there will be no consistency between them. Such an app would have no real way to navigate each bank's interface.

They do exist. Eg MoneyHub and Money Dashboard. The participating banks (most of the big ones) provide special APIs for them to access limited data in a consistent way.

Oh, I didn't know that.
Thanks.

« Reply #11 on: 01 May, 2023, 12:45:03 pm »
Most banks’ apps now let you add other banks’ accounts to your account overview screen, so pick an app you like / use regularly and add all the others.

It’s a read only snapshot AFAIK, so the security risk is low.

« Reply #12 on: 08 May, 2023, 08:44:38 pm »
You can download account status via csv file even excel format from many online banking or banking apps. Produce a clever spreadsheet to use that file from each account then I  guess it's just your time logging into each account to get those downloads every so often.

I got Microsoft money and quicken free with an office suite decades ago,  1998 I think. I never used all their features but they had a lot to them from account sections to mortgages sections.

« Reply #13 on: 11 May, 2023, 09:18:42 am »
I opened a Monzo account (for everyday transactions) due to continued frustration with how carp the Coop is these days.

Just found out that Monzo has a facility to manage multiple accounts via their app.

Can't use it with Coop bank though, probably because they are utterly shit.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #14 on: 11 May, 2023, 03:45:21 pm »
I opened a Monzo account (for everyday transactions) due to continued frustration with how carp the Coop is these days.

Just found out that Monzo has a facility to manage multiple accounts via their app.

Can't use it with Coop bank though, probably because they are utterly shit.
I can do this with revolut bu my coventry accounts won't sync.  Otherwise Coventry's website is excellent

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #15 on: 15 May, 2023, 01:05:31 pm »
AAIU there's open banking as a concept and, in the UK, a commercial entity Open Banking Corporation.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #16 on: 15 May, 2023, 01:21:50 pm »
I use Snoop
It's funded by referral skimming, and selling anonymised data.