Author Topic: Garage interior lighting  (Read 3211 times)

Re: Garage interior lighting
« Reply #25 on: 15 May, 2023, 08:06:47 am »
I have a couple of these in my double garage. https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-twin-6ft-led-batten-59w-6800lm-220-240v/337pp More than ample. They come with fixings which make them easy to screw to wooden joists.

We have these in the utility room, the pottery and my junk space.

they are brilliant (sic). Easy to fit, seem to be sealed, tolerant of being bumped, and absolutely flood the area with light.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #26 on: 15 May, 2023, 12:13:36 pm »
Why not a PIR activated...

IME the timeout is always approximately equal to the time it takes you, sitting cross-legged on the floor surrounded by pingfuckits, to get to the *really* delicate stage of whatever it is you're fettling.

On average this is still less annoying than having to grope for the light switch when your hands are full and/or dirty.

Alternatively: I need to go into the garage around 9.30pm to get my bike, then again in the early hours when I return home from my night shift.

Two solar powered PIR activated flood lights (one each end of the garage) are perfect. Needs to be the type with a cable between solar panel and light - obviously. No need to faff around finding switches to turn lights on and off, independent of mains power and usually ample time to sort my bike out and unlock/lock the garage door. If I need extra time moving triggers the lights again. They work equally well for popping into the garage for the beer fridge or freezer.

An LED strip light provides conventional lighting for working in the garage.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #27 on: 15 May, 2023, 01:12:24 pm »
Oh an additional solar powered PIR is a good idea, it doesn't require any faffing about with switches then.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #28 on: 15 May, 2023, 09:25:29 pm »
Oh an additional solar powered PIR is a good idea, it doesn't require any faffing about with switches then.

The ones I've got are about £17 a pair off Ebay. Mine had fitted cables which I cut, passed through a small hole in the fascia above the garage door and window frame at the back and rejoined with tape (marking the ends so I knew which was +ve & -ve). The lights are meant for wall mounting, but I screwed them to the ceiling and angled them flat.

Because they're not mains connected it was about a 30 min job to fit them. That was 3 years ago and they're still working well.

« Reply #29 on: 16 May, 2023, 08:33:31 am »
If 240 vac is avaialble and you are not adverse to a bit of fettling these PIR's at < £6 work just fine
https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/pell0047/180-deg-pir-motion-sensor-wht/dp/LA08659
I have on in my Sheede wired into a spare socket

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #30 on: 21 May, 2023, 03:32:46 pm »
A top day's adulting was had. No electrocution, no bodging, no breakages, no bickering.

Before
2023-05-21_03-07-43 by The Pingus, on Flickr

After

2023-05-21_03-08-01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Yes, I know the cables need tidying up but this numpty ordered the wrong size of clips.

« Reply #31 on: 21 May, 2023, 03:42:47 pm »
Ver' nice indeed.
Much light.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #32 on: 21 May, 2023, 08:00:14 pm »
A top day's adulting was had. No electrocution, no bodging, no breakages, no bickering.

Before
2023-05-21_03-07-43 by The Pingus, on Flickr

After

2023-05-21_03-08-01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Yes, I know the cables need tidying up but this numpty ordered the wrong size of clips.

Next job to insulate the roof then?  - that's after the doors mentioned elsewhere!

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #33 on: 21 May, 2023, 08:21:06 pm »
Mmm probably not. Not sure it's necessary (?) and that's an asbestos cement roof. Will probably leave it until it looks like it's going to properly start leaking.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #34 on: 28 May, 2023, 05:51:03 pm »
Cables now tidied  :thumbsup: