Author Topic: Repairing plastic glasses frames  (Read 831 times)

Repairing plastic glasses frames
« on: 20 June, 2023, 11:43:02 am »
My main pair of glasses have developed a split in the frame:

I'd like to either repair them, or take them somewhere that can do so for a reasonable price (they weren't expensive in the first place, but I like them).

Is this something I can DIY? Or if not, any suggestions of where to take/send them for repair would be appreciated.

Re: Repairing plastic glasses frames
« Reply #1 on: 20 June, 2023, 11:59:21 am »
I would try Superglue.

I bought some of this a few months ago for bodging repairing things and it was fairly cheap, seemed to work as well as others I have tried and is still usable (unlike others I have tried).

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2 on: 20 June, 2023, 12:02:57 pm »
I would try Superglue.

I bought some of this a few months ago for bodging repairing things and it was fairly cheap, seemed to work as well as others I have tried and is still usable (unlike others I have tried).

Beware - Superglue in such situations seems to cloud the surrounding plastic areas - DAHIKT     2 part epoxy is probably better, but you'll need something very thin to apply it with.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #3 on: 20 June, 2023, 12:15:20 pm »
I had a similar break and Superglue only lasted a couple of days - I was due an eye test so just got new lenses put in some old frames

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 20 June, 2023, 12:18:34 pm »
Any clouding can be carefully sponged off with acetone but it may not be good for whatever coatings there are on the glasses.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #5 on: 20 June, 2023, 06:36:48 pm »
The faster acting araldite is what I’d try, and have scalpel handy to carve off the excess.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #6 on: 20 June, 2023, 08:03:42 pm »
I used epoxy on mine, the slower setting type is supposedly stronger.

Apply a thin layer with a toothpick or similar, to all the surfaces where the frame and lens make contact, not just the part of the frame where the break is. Then use some masking tape to hold it together and leave it overnight. Any excess glue squeeze out can be cleared up with acetone before it sets, but it's best not to use too much glue as acetone can dissolve some plastics.

Ideally, you want enough glue to get some squeeze out but just enough to form a fillet at the edge of the joint. If you get glue onto the lens surface then that's too much glue.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 20 June, 2023, 08:08:57 pm »
There's an argument for popping the lens out first, but the risk there is that the stress of popping it back in will break your repair...

Wonder if this stuff can be heat or solvent welded?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8 on: 20 June, 2023, 08:25:00 pm »
Remember.

You won't be able to see what you are doing whilst you glue it  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #9 on: 20 June, 2023, 08:32:10 pm »
Surely YouTube has the answer ...

ian

« Reply #10 on: 20 June, 2023, 09:00:15 pm »
Oxyacetylene torch.

« Reply #11 on: 21 June, 2023, 11:28:56 am »
Any glue, if applied whilst the lens is still in place, risks gluing the lens to the frame.  This may or may not be an issue.  I did a superglue repair on my cycling glasses (loose nosepad) and accidentally got a splodge of glue on the frame/lens.  There was no clouding and they are 'plastic' lenses.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #12 on: 22 June, 2023, 07:07:30 am »
Personally, I'd just get a new pair, assuming you have the prescription.  You really can get £15 glasses from Specsavers, although that might double with an anti-reflective coating.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 22 June, 2023, 01:19:59 pm »
Yeahbut a frame that actually fits comfortably is worth its weight in optiquacks.

« Reply #14 on: 22 June, 2023, 05:43:00 pm »
I think you would need to drill both halves of the split and pin them (in at least one place, preferably two) irrespective of what adhesive you use.
I would caution the use of acetone to remove superglue bloom from the lens.
If the lens is acrylic it may craze.
If it is polycarbonate you should be ok.
How to tell?
If you remove the lens and very briefly singe one of the edges with a ciggy lighter, if it smells of apples - it is acrylic.