Author Topic: Creating a display piece after an event  (Read 942 times)

Creating a display piece after an event
« on: 20 June, 2023, 05:38:15 pm »
On the weekend I did an event I'm really proud off, an 100km ultra marathon raising money for a great charity. I would like to produce something to wall mount to remember this by. I've already got a frame I can use which is double A3

We got given a map of the route which is A3 in landscape so with the frame in portrait this will do half, I'm deliberately using this rather then using a fresh copy of the map as its a bit tatty and shows that it's been repeatedly folded and wedged into straps

Any ideas or suggestions how to do the other half. Have Strava for the run and a few photos of landscape but only really a couple im in as was solo for a lot of it.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Creating a display piece after an event
« Reply #1 on: 20 June, 2023, 07:45:18 pm »
The shirt you ran in (with mud, sweat, tears and blood, of course), yellow-jersey style.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 20 June, 2023, 07:56:07 pm »
On a related note, I have a vague notion of framing the chainring responsible for the scar on my shin when it (the chainring, not the shin) eventually gets replaced.  If nothing else, it'll be a talking point for the MRSA nurse in my old age.

« Reply #3 on: 20 June, 2023, 08:11:15 pm »
The shirt you ran in (with mud, sweat, tears and blood, of course), yellow-jersey style.

Unfortunately we didn't get event tops so would just be my ancient Nike singlet which probably smelt but that wad about it. I do regret not getting a bit of chalk from the ridgeway as was on that for about 70km

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #4 on: 20 June, 2023, 08:13:27 pm »
Running 100km, or even walking most of it and running a bit, is a simply insanely audacious crazy thing to do. Well done, bonkers!

« Reply #5 on: 20 June, 2023, 08:16:59 pm »
Did you get a medal, a runner number to attach?. Add those.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 20 June, 2023, 08:20:37 pm »

I wear a pendant made from 4 links of the chain I used to ride to Hell.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7 on: 20 June, 2023, 08:21:18 pm »
Any photos of you covered in mud etc.?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #8 on: 20 June, 2023, 08:34:40 pm »
Any photos of you covered in mud etc.?

No, no mud at all as was on chalk tracks. Also very few pictures of me as was alone for most of it

« Reply #9 on: 20 June, 2023, 09:07:36 pm »
Did you get a medal, a runner number to attach?. Add those.

No, got a sew on badge which will go in but main thing was a enamel mug

There's a little right up in the ride reports. Yes it's not a ride but it's a BP length

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #10 on: 21 June, 2023, 08:05:51 am »
You could add a photo of the enamel mug. You could even go back to a significant point on the track, wearing the shirt, with the mug, the badge and the map, and most importantly, a friend equipped with a camera, and stage a recreation photo. Perhaps a dramatic exaggeration rather than realism.

« Reply #11 on: 21 June, 2023, 08:34:51 am »
Very impressive achievement, you must be very pleased.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12 on: 21 June, 2023, 04:21:22 pm »
Any awards you got (medal) that'll fit. And paint the sole of your foot purple and plonk it down on the map. Not too dense, the paint, so that the route shows through.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13 on: 21 June, 2023, 04:23:26 pm »
On a related note, I have a vague notion of framing the chainring responsible for the scar on my shin when it (the chainring, not the shin) eventually gets replaced.  If nothing else, it'll be a talking point for the MRSA nurse in my old age.

I had the very first granny gear I ever wore out up on the wall for years, then 5 years back I used it for sound-hole décor on a cigar-box guitar.

« Reply #14 on: 21 June, 2023, 08:52:25 pm »
Any awards you got (medal) that'll fit. And paint the sole of your foot purple and plonk it down on the map. Not too dense, the paint, so that the route shows through.

I did consider making it 3D and retiring my shoes but only got them in May so hopefully a few events left in them. Had a rethink and think I'll switch to landscape and with the map cental put stuff round it Inc a picture of my shoes. Some photos from the event, the little sew on badge we got and work out how to print off my strava stats for it

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #15 on: 22 June, 2023, 07:28:00 am »
After my first PBP in 2007 I was going to do a display piece with all the medals, but before they arrived I had my first coronary run-in and felt so discouraged that they're still in the wee bags on my desk.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 22 June, 2023, 01:11:26 pm »

I had the very first granny gear I ever wore out up on the wall for years, then 5 years back I used it for sound-hole décor on a cigar-box guitar.

:thumbsup:

I've never actually worn out a granny ring, though I have binned one in disgust after it turned out to be made of the wrong kind of steel, and I got sick of filing unfortunately-timed burrs off the teeth.

« Reply #17 on: 22 June, 2023, 01:55:53 pm »
work out how to print off my strava stats for it

Veloviewer is prettier, like this : https://www.dropbox.com/s/dmzrlz0b50x8owg/download.png?dl=0

« Reply #18 on: 22 June, 2023, 02:07:02 pm »
If you had a race number of some kind, include that?