Author Topic: Compressor for pneumatic needle scaler?  (Read 2338 times)

Re: Compressor for pneumatic needle scaler?
« Reply #25 on: 14 July, 2023, 10:21:51 am »
anti vibration gloves are generally accepted as a waste of time.  They simply lead to the wearer gripping harder, compressing the absorbent material and making little difference to the vibration.

Generally no dvice on the market should be without a vibration level.  A few 8 hour days will not cause more than temporary harm evn at the highest level but common sense is to reduce as much as possible

Sandblasting is much less of a vibration risk.  could that be an alternative or even commercial dipping?

« Reply #26 on: 14 July, 2023, 11:45:57 am »
anti vibration gloves are generally accepted as a waste of time.  They simply lead to the wearer gripping harder, compressing the absorbent material and making little difference to the vibration.

Generally no dvice on the market should be without a vibration level.  A few 8 hour days will not cause more than temporary harm evn at the highest level but common sense is to reduce as much as possible

Sandblasting is much less of a vibration risk.  could that be an alternative or even commercial dipping?

Thanks for the info.  Sandblasting and dipping ruled out on grounds of practicality and cost sadly.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #27 on: 14 July, 2023, 12:16:00 pm »
I would certainly suggest keeping the hands warm and away from any exhausted air.  Whilst a few 8 hour days will not be likely to cause permanent damage I would recommend probably no more than a couple of hours in the morning and then again in the afternoon in order to reduce the total daily dose.

rr

« Reply #28 on: 14 July, 2023, 12:17:51 pm »
Needle scalers produce huge vibration doses be careful.
www.hse.gov.uk/vibration/hav/index.htm

« Reply #29 on: 14 July, 2023, 12:20:20 pm »
I would certainly suggest keeping the hands warm and away from any exhausted air.  Whilst a few 8 hour days will not be likely to cause permanent damage I would recommend probably no more than a couple of hours in the morning and then again in the afternoon in order to reduce the total daily dose.

Yes - the plan would be do work in small slots.  It's going to take a long time whatever the method - I've never seen Georgian railings in such a state (and I've seen some bad ones).  The finials are so caked they are barely identifiable.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #30 on: 14 July, 2023, 12:27:36 pm »
Needle scalers produce huge vibration doses be careful.
www.hse.gov.uk/vibration/hav/index.htm

That page links to a handy trigger time ready reckoner. You'll need the acceleartion data for the particulat bit of kit.

<drift> A previous employer used to use GBFO hand held hydraulic breakers, which we used the manufacturer's data on to detemine trigger time. Then read the data sheet a bit more closely to find the acceleration figure quoted was when the breaker was used at only half the flowrate of hydraulic oil, which no one did. </drift> 
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #31 on: 28 July, 2023, 09:41:03 pm »
You've probably thought of it, but it's not in the thread yet.  Disc and flap sanders. I've seen several commmercial chandleries who prefer this method to shifting paint, gunk, and over-applied stuff, including below the waterline. Reason being they dislike the abrasion and erosion of needle guns on the material, nor the effect on their staff, nor the noise for the whole place. And by the time you're down to the very fine inset details, if needed, a chisel or tile scorer will get the last bits.
Cruzbike V2k, S40

« Reply #32 on: 28 July, 2023, 09:49:17 pm »
You've probably thought of it, but it's not in the thread yet.  Disc and flap sanders.

Ah - no.  Not heard of these but definitely interesting. Any recommendations on type?

By coincidence the SDS needle gun attachment arrived today and had its first outing.  It certainly gets through the layers!  It will be a laborious, noisy and messy process but will work well for the finial details.  I got the smallest 12 rod version for this purpose and will proceed small sections at a time (for the neighbours' sanity as much as mine).

For the railing rods something like an angle grinder disc would be a lot quicker and easier.

« Reply #33 on: 01 August, 2023, 05:13:39 pm »
Found these to be quite good.  Not sure about the brands but have used these type of abrasive wheels to clean bits of car metal.  Used the ones from wilko.

https://www.toolstation.com/abracs-poly-abrasive-wheel-brush/p11419? https://www.toolstation.com/abracs-poly-abrasive-disc/p22693

« Reply #34 on: 05 August, 2023, 09:51:04 am »
I'm having a re-think.  It's going to be a long, noisy and messy business with needle guns, angle grinders, etc. and I'm very conscious of the impact on neighbours.  There's no realistic way of preventing crap being sprayed into their stairwells.

Then I remembered Peelaway, a strong alkali paste which I've used successfully to remove Artex from ceilings (::-)) and on exterior stucco (from around the same period as these railings).

If it works it would minimise the exposure to the many layers of lead paint which are undoubtedly there and could slash the time and physical labour involved.  I'll get a test area underway.