Author Topic: Skanky external uPVC windowsill solutions  (Read 809 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Skanky external uPVC windowsill solutions
« on: 19 July, 2023, 11:28:11 am »
The windows here are mostly ancient double-glazed uPVC, but not worth replacing as they are still draughtproof and the extra insulation of newer ones probably saves about £10/year.

However, the external sill of the lounge window has lost its fake rosewood effect after 30 years of sun and bird shit (the TV aerial is above!) and is now quite rough, matt, and pale.

There are services that will re-foil the sill but it's just that one part and too small to GAMI.  Are there any DIY caps or foils available?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Skanky external uPVC windowsill solutions
« Reply #1 on: 19 July, 2023, 02:28:38 pm »
You can paint UPVC windows, with the right paint - perhaps a toning colour for just the windowsills? (The man in Brewers paint shop should be able to advise - I think it's a Zinser paint?)

« Reply #2 on: 19 July, 2023, 03:45:34 pm »
Eurocell do cover caps and they'll be easy enough to stick on and seal around. Probably available elsewhere too.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 19 July, 2023, 04:01:16 pm »
Eurocell do cover caps and they'll be easy enough to stick on and seal around. Probably available elsewhere too.
Thanks, but for £86.90 and a minimum order of 3.7m, they can go whistle  ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #4 on: 19 July, 2023, 04:23:28 pm »
Thanks, but for £86.90 and a minimum order of 3.7m, they can go whistle  ;D

I just bought some soffit board from Eurocell at the local branch - street price was £93 - I paid £43 "trade"  (I'm not trade, but did ask what they could do on price) - worth asking?