Author Topic: Air conditioners (portable)  (Read 1139 times)

Air conditioners (portable)
« on: 31 May, 2014, 01:23:42 pm »
I'm renting a studio space for art purposes and on sunny days it's getting seriously overheated (already, the summer only just starting). So I'm looking at air condioning units on amazon and second hand... the second hand prices look seriously reduced as though there's not much of a market  (or perhaps component lifespan makes used units a bad option?). So I'll have to make a decision as to whether to go for a cheap new item for around £230 or to try to pick something up used for £50 - £100.
How long do these things typically last for and what tends to go wrong first?
Are there any obvious things to look for in terms of getting a decent unit, and has there been any significant feature enhancements in recent years (energy efficiency, digital system management etc.)? I think I'd be foolish not to get something within the next couple of weeks as I'd roast.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Air conditioners (portable)
« Reply #1 on: 31 May, 2014, 01:36:09 pm »
Anything that relies on extracting heat by blowing air out the window is going to be fairly crap - more (warm) air has to enter from somewhere else to make up for it, and if airflow was enough to make a difference you could save a lot of money and use a fan to do the job instead.

That said, I've found one invaluable for knobbling my allergies when they flare up - dry, filtered air being a massive win in that regard.

Split units are the better solution (with a self-contained condenser that sits outside and uses outside air to cool itself), but much more expensive.

Lifespan is an issue with this sort of thing - they tend to lose refrigerant over time and become less efficient.  Mine is coming up for 10 years old, and while it still basically works, it doesn't do an awful lot for the temperature in a sun-heated upstairs room any more.

« Reply #2 on: 31 May, 2014, 01:44:18 pm »
Hmm, that's tricky because I can't find any info on some of the second hand ones advertised. I don't know how old they are, there seems to be a relative absence of info on this category of product on the net.

« Reply #3 on: 31 May, 2014, 01:53:48 pm »
Is the losing refridgerant thing a matter of useage or simply time/age?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4 on: 31 May, 2014, 02:42:42 pm »
The integrity of the refrigerant chemical mix degrades as a result of the physics involved when being converted from a liquid to a gas & vica versa due to expansion & contraction.
It's related to usage more so than age.

Second hand prices are low because if the equipment is faulty the cost of repair can be un-economical compared to the cost of new equipment at the budget end of the market.These prices are also more of a reflection of the scrap value of the copper & aluminium components.

Equipment longevity is directly proportional to cost.As in most things you get what you pay for.

Your view on a/c is typical in that you seem to associate it as a technology usefull only in hot weather,IE:- a summer only seasonal requirement.Some equipment also has a heating capacity which is valuable in cooler months.
Therefore in order to make a selection best suited to your needs you should decide if your occupancy & use is year round or otherwise.
Is this a business expense deductible against corporation tax?
Does your rental agreement have conditions which impinge on equipment selection?

If you want it only for the occasional hot weather season a cooling only unit from Curry's or B&Q & the like is probably the most cost effective

This

http://www.fastlec.co.uk/toshiba-powered-portable-mobile-air-conditioner-9000btu-p-16064.html?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=feedmanager&gclid=CPiiyKuk1r4CFUn4wgodW5AAuQ#.U4nbQmdOXoY

unit enjoys a good reputation.

If you decide to acquire such as this ..........(I'll PM you with the remainder of this comment which is sufficiently controversial for it to be unwise for it to appear on an open forum)

« Reply #5 on: 31 May, 2014, 03:05:25 pm »
I used a standalone heater over winter which worked OK but has no built in thermostat. Not too bad but sometimes a bit fiddly to keep temperature stable. So I guess a unit which regulates temperature better and all year round would be an improvement.

Thanks for the PM... interesting.

Noise level appears to be a major complaint... but from looking over stats I'm not seeing much variation in claimed noise.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #6 on: 31 May, 2014, 03:24:48 pm »

So I guess a unit which regulates temperature better and all year round would be an improvement.

in which case something like this

http://www.airconcentre.co.uk/kfr-33iw%2Fx1c+air+conditioning+unit+(kfr33+wall+split+system/3202399798?kw=&fl=1000&ci=37269023598&network=pla&gclid=CJSkhZmt1r4CFZMQtAodFGYA-g

is worthy of consideration.

This is where the terms of your rental agreement need to be considered.Do the terms.....
insist that you leave behind such "modifications" when you vacate
or
dictate that you remove them & make good to the building fabric wrt holes in the structure?

« Reply #7 on: 31 May, 2014, 03:38:11 pm »
I don't think a split unit is possible given the nature of the studio space... contract is almost certainly not an issue, but I've no idea how long I'll be here for and so it's preferable that everything is freestanding. I think modifications would be tricky, though I'll give it more thought.

Are there any obvious warning signs with this:
http://www.debenhamsplus.com/DE_ElectrIQ_AirCon_Air_Conditioners_40038432/version.asp

It strikes me as odd that supposedly it weighs 25Kg whereas just about everything else I've looked at is >37Kg.

jogler

• mojo operandi